“Absolute Gem”

Good for: Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 1st Street
Description: A singular reflection of Alberta's signature hospitality, Rush Ocean Prime's downtown location occupies a large space in what was once Calgary's main post office, a magnificent building modernized. With a new look, new menu, and new attitude, the new Rush relaxes fine dining with a bold, brash and revolutionized offer. Rush aims to surprise guests with inventive globally inspired food from land to sea. Generous portions of steak and seafood are served up alongside sommelier selected wines and handcrafted cocktails. From the attentive service to the open, contemporary space, Rush sets the stage for special every-day encounters - whether it is a coveted spot in the intimate dining room or shared small plates and drinks in the lounge before a game.
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I had checked reviews on here and OpenTable, but still the meal at Rush was a positive surprise - definitely exceeded our fairly high expectations. Service was helped by it being very quiet - we were one of a handful of tables on a Friday evening. Full selection of both Bar and Dining Room menus were available and made use of - we assembled our own 'tasting menu' of various dishes and wines by the glass.

Everything seemed cooked a la minute, extremely well executed, accompaniments went very well with all the main feature ingredients. Biggest standout for me was the lobster bisque - I *love* a good bisque and tend to order it anywhere I see it on a menu. This was the third best I've ever had, beating several 'top 50 restaurants in the world' fine dining venues I've been to. A traditional creamy broth, but with finely-diced veggies that were more reminiscent of chowder ingredients. The added little bits of fresh crunch really put it over the top.

I would strongly recommend anyone in downtown Calgary to give Rush a go.

2  Thank martincath

Reviewed September 12, 2011

I have been to a lot of high end restaurants in this city. But none have the elegance and class of this restaurant. From the moment you make your reservation...and they remember your name if you give them a phone number. That was truly impressive when I made reservations this last time. Very cool that they had that in their registry log. They have valet service on the weekends after 5 pm which was great for my father who has to use a cane and can't walk far. The hosts and hostess's were very pleasant and genuinely pleased to meet guests. The ambiance and decor are really of the Bogey and Bacall era similar to restaurants I've eaten at in California that Bogey and Bacall ate at.. The two male servers that I have had the pleasure of getting every time I go here are great. And really go out of their way to make you have an enjoyable evening. The menu really is excellent and the chef's selections that he's put on the menu make your mouth water before you've even tasted it. So try the Tenderoin, or ribeye steak. The lobster bisque is excellent and so are their wine selections. And the prices are really more then reasonable for a high end restauant. It's a really great evening for an equally great price. I hope they stay around for a long time.

2  Thank JeraldHinton
Reviewed August 14, 2011

I recommend for lunch. Haven't tried for dinner yet.

2  Thank pipelineguy
Reviewed July 30, 2011

My family and I had dinner here recently on a cool day in July. As soon as we sat down we realized that there was quite a cold draft from the AC vents and that all of the available tables for 4 were in a similar setting. The staff tried to adjust the thermostat so that it wasn't as cool, but admitted to us that they've complained to the building management about the "curtain" of cold air and that there's not much they can do about it.
My daughter and I had the duck - nice and tender, my wife had the filet - which was very good and my son had the tuna (not a great choice). The food was fine, but the cold room detracted from the experience significantly.

2  Thank exgeo
Reviewed April 28, 2011

We have been twice in the last month and great as always in terms of food, wine , service and atmosphere. In my opinion the best fine dining in Calgary and a fun lounge as well, and Ive been to every high end restaurant in this city