“Very nice place”

Ranked #22 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Prince George
“Very nice place”
Reviewed June 5, 2010

We spent the last three nights of May 2010 at the Acclaim Hotel near the Calgary Airport. The staff were helpful and our check-in went quickly. We stayed in a queen room. They definitely put some extra money into the rooms. The wall mounted flat screen tv and dvd player were certainly a nice touch. The beds were quite comfortable, and everything was very clean.

The bathroom was impressive, with a marble countertop and marble walls for the bathtub. The shower has a large sunflower showerhead, as well as six smaller shower heads mounted on the wall. And then of course I have to mention the small TV in the bathroom as well, that could be angled down for watching while in the bathtub.

The one thing our room didn't have that we really missed was a small fridge. Apparently you have to upgrade to a suite to get a fridge. I would have much rather they spent the money on a fridge than a TV in the bathroom.

The fact that they no longer offer any sort of breakfast was also a negative for us. We normally take full advantage of a hotel's continental breakfast. But unless you booked before April 30th you did not get any sort of breakfast with your stay. With no breakfast offered, and no fridge, we spent a lot more money going out for our meals.
(the Pacini restaurant in the hotel was quite good, but I will write another review for that)

They also did not seem to spend enough on noise-proofing. We could easily hear people talking in the hallway, as well as honking horns from the car rental place next door. There was also the odd plane overhead, but for being so close to the airport we heard surprisingly few planes.

The noise level is not a big deal at the present time, since the hotel is out on the edge of town. But if things get more build up around that area it could be quite a noisy place.(which might not take long the way Calgary is expanding). The drive was not a big issue for us since the hotel was so close to the Deerfoot Trail, which traffic seems to move along quite nicely.

One of our favorite parts of the stay was the free DVD library down in the lobby. They had all sorts of new and popular titles. You just pick one out, tell them which room you are in, and return it when you are done. Very nice touch since the weather was so miserable during our stay.

The hot tub on the roof was another nice touch, although we did not feel like using it since it didnt really stop raining or snowing while we were there.

Overall we really enjoyed our time at the Acclaim Hotel. But if we could find a hotel next time that had a regular room with a fridge we would likely stay there instead, rather than pay the extra cost for a suite we don't really need.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PGDan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Korean first
Trail, Canada
Reviewed May 26, 2010

We went to Calgary for an event and flew into the Calgary Airport and took the shuttle to the hotel, the driver was friendly and offered bottled water on our drive there.
Arrived at the hotel and was checked in, in good time and everything about the key and the light saving features of the room were explained, this is a energy saving device, and as a person who walks by rooms and turns off lights and tvs, that are not being used, I appreciated the idea to save energy.
We had a kitchenette type room, with all that the a preveious writer reported, and as for the TV in the bathroom, I used that one the most, while doing my hair , putting on make up, after my shower and other. the other one i used to watch one of the free movies you can get from the lobby. I sometimes wished I had a TV in my own bathroom for the reason i mentioned above. If you are not a TV watcher a TV anyplace probably not appeal to you anyway.
Small rooms?, yes to a degree but as i was not trying to swing a cat or holding any parties in my room , I had enough room to do everything i had to do and more.

The Resturant is new and with all new businesses they had some issues, that will get sorted out as they are made aware of, even in old businesses there can be isses that need work but that does not take away from the modern bright and very nice decor. The food was very good with a very large number of choices. My breakfast was excellent as was my dinner the night before and I would have no problem with eating there for any or all my meals even if i was not a guest at the Hotel.

Some people cannot be pleased ever, no matter what you do, and I am happy that the negative comments of those people did not deter me from staying at this Hotel

1 Thank memyself_10
Reviewed May 19, 2010

After spending a night in the Holiday Inn Calgary Airport, this was a major improvement. It is stylish for a mid-range hotel, but certainly not a boutique experience. Rooms are a cut above the blandness of most competitors. The place is also fairly new, which contributes to a cleaner and more stylish feel.

I had a Platinum Studio Suite, with a queen. Also included huge flat panel TV and all other amenities. Lots of space in the room allowed for a love seat, coffee table, dining table, kitchenette, and dresser on top of a small computer desk.

Also check out the cool open-air rooftop hot tubs and lounge area. Gym in the basement was average. Business centre is two computers and a printer in the lobby.

Adjacent restaurant is okay, but service was pretty slow for one of my two breakfasts there.

This place is a bit far from anything except the airport (5 mins drive). However, if you have business anywhere along the ring road or along Deerfoot Trail, the location is pretty good.

Would have been nice had the windows opened.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank 777flyer
Europe
Reviewed May 15, 2010

We stayed at the Acclaim the night before we headed off to the airport for our honeymoon.

Staff were extremely friendly, helpful, and welcoming- one even happily spoke Dutch with us when he sensed my husbands accent. The location is very convient if you are heading to the airport. They had good tips on different restaurants to go to.
The rooms are clean and modern; the beds are comfortable. The continental breakfast was fairly ample and a nice start to the day.

Another big bonus is a free shuttle to the airport along with cheap or free long term parking. When we were there, we found out that for each night you stay at the Acclaim you get one free week parking. We were away for two weeks and only had to pay $50 for the extra week. When we found that the battery was drained in our car, the staff rushed out with a portable charger to help get us on our way. I would definitely stay at the Acclaim if I was going to the Calgary airport again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CDN_Wanderer
Shawnigan Lake, Canada
Reviewed May 8, 2010

My westjet flight home to Victoria was cancelled due to high winds in Victoria (seems to be a theme this winter and spring) Westjet was forced to cancel last minute and I must say I was so happy to be travelling Westjet because I knew they would take good care of me, unlike the *other* Airline.

We were redirected to the Acclaim Inn and my first response was, OH NO, Isn't there a Delta (whee I stay for busines travel) or a Sheraton??? No to both and I must say after the night at the Acclaim I was happy.

Jamie was the check-in clerk and he was over whelmed by us all, he was the only one on staff and he was wonderful under fire. Thank you Jamie.

Rooms were large and very nice, beds were comfortable and loved the shower very nice. Restaurant attached to the hotel was a complete delightful surprise, very good food and wine.

There was a free cont breakfast buffet opened in the morning (I was there at 5;30AM to catch my 7 AM flight) and while I passed on breakfast the coffee was actually very very good.

After a mnth of travelling on and off for business I was more then eager to return home but must say Acclaim was an unexpected nice surprise. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank quincytoo
Medicine Hat
Reviewed May 4, 2010

My husband and I stayed here 2 nights in April. We stayed the night before we flew to Vegas and the night we got back. It is very close to the airport and offers free parking with your stay and a shuttle to the airport.

The rooms aren't huge but for the two of us it was good. I'm not sure that a family of four would be comfortable in the 2 queen room.

The rooms are modern, our first room just had a shower and the second had a nice soaker tub and a shower. There is even a tv in the bathroom! Each room has a Krugg (sp?) coffee maker and there is free internet.

This is a great hotel for a pre or post stay when you are flying from the Calgary airport. If you are going to Calgary to shop or other sight seeing it would probably be better to stay closer to the downtown area.

1 Thank dnb1982
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed May 2, 2010

My wife and I stayed there for one night after booking online on the hotel website. Here is what you need to know:
- it is very close to the airport, perhaps 5 minutes away, and probably the closest hotel to the airport, apart from the Delta which is actually at the airport - they even had big flight arrival/departure screens in the lobby - & shuttle service available to the airport - & easy to get to from #2 highway (turns into Deerfoot Trail in the city)
- there appeared to be some form of long-term parking available if you were getting a flight, but since we were driving, not flying, we did not inquire
- the hotel used to have a breakfast set-up, but no longer does - if you booked before April 1 with that expectation, they will give you a voucher for the restaurant next door (so were advised by the front desk)
- Itallan restaurant next door - just opened last week, nice selection of pasta, pizza, etc, nice lounge, beers on tap
- room we had a king size bed, very modern finishings, flat-screen TV, Ipod docking station, TV in bathroom (?), multi-heads on shower/tub, wall-safe, funky system of operating the lghts with your room card (energy saver), but that said, very small room, but functional. Did I say small room?
- they also had a coin laundry set-up by the ice and pop machines - great idea
- overall, as some of the other postings commented, if you are here for a night just before or after a flight, perfect, otherwise, lukewarm endorsement

1 Thank Canucks07