“Ok food, varied levels of service (bad and good)”

The Keg Steakhouse + Bar - South Pointe
Ranked #165 of 3,645 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Canadian, Bar
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Southeast Calgary
Reviewed May 16, 2013

A Keg is a Keg, which means you can expect a palatable steak in a nicer environment, but it rarely differs from location to location. This one though, stands out because it's irritated me on more than one occasion.

Let's start with the fact that it's impossible to get a table after 6:00 on a Friday or Saturday night, which is when most people go out for dinner, especially with friends. They don't take reservations and by 6:00 the wait list is often an hour or more. Many times it's been a 1.5 - 2 hour wait. The only time I've walked in and gotten a table immediately was around 5:15. I think it was the manager that seated us, and when I (politely) mentioned my surprise at getting a table so quickly he wrote off my observation as I "must've been confused" about what time I got to the restaurant previously because they never have waits like that before 7:00. Um, really? Pretty arrogant to tell me that my actual experience the three previous times I'd been there were all wrong. That's horrible customer service, FYI.

My servers have always been very friendly though, attentive and knowledgeable about their menu. My last visit I ordered my steak medium and it was quite rare. When I showed my server he quickly acknowledged that it was well undercooked, and they left me the veggies on my plate so I wouldn't be hungry while waiting for a redo....then brought me a whole new plate of food! Needless to say I was stuffed but pleased. Just not sure how a steakhouse gets something so wrong as giving me a rare steak when ordered medium....the service actually saved them there.

Keg food has never changed much, and steaks are not bad. I've had better, but you have to go to a non-chain restaurant for better steak and pay a lot more. I'm happy with the prices for what I get. As for this particular Keg I just avoid it on weekends now because I'm not cool with eating dinner at 5:00, and I'm done with showing up with high hopes of getting a table and realizing I have to (yet again) find an alternative unless I'm cool with being seated in an hour and a half. Actually I find I just avoid this place altogether. You need to allow a few reservations guys, seriously. One of those times you couldn't get me in for two hours was my birthday and I had 6 people that don't dine on the cheap. Most of us aren't interested in going back.

1  Thank Nina J

Reviewed April 25, 2013

This place does not look fancy from outside but nice inside, they serve good steak and fish how you like it, good service and the food was good and always feel these places are way overpriced for what they are, but certainly worth a visit on special occasion if you have few more dollars to spare.

1  Thank Jennifer M
Reviewed February 4, 2013

The Keg was our fave place to go but they have started getting cheaper cuts of meat and it really lets them down, such a shame

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Went for dinner with family. Great efficient, friendly service. We had the goat cheese appetizer and then We all order the classic steak specials which included choice of salad, entrée, and vegetables. Food was excellent. Would definitely return.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Visited recently while on a business trip. Very good service, the food was fairly decent, with the exception of the bacon wrap on my filet, which was stringy and near raw. The Keg has a basic formula and this location follows it to a T, nothing really to make it stand out from any of its peers or its competitors.

It was extremely convenient given the hotel I was staying at, hence my choice, but overall there are far better steakhouses to choose in Calgary.