“Will definitely be back”
Review of Koreana BBQ - CLOSED

Koreana BBQ
Cuisines: Barbecue, Korean
Neighborhood: Southwest Calgary
Neighborhood: Southwest Calgary
Calgary, AB
“Will definitely be back”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

The restaurant appears modest from the outside but the interior is appropriately and well decorated. The first thing I noticed was how friendly and polite the servers were. They rushed over to us right away to greet us and then hurried to clean up a table to seat us. They were very adorably "Korean".

Since there were only two of us, we only ordered the dolsot bibimbap (mixed vegetables, beef, fried egg and rice in a hot stone bowl) and the jap chae (stir fried clear noodles with pork and assorted vegetables). In fact, I had trouble finding the jap chae on the menu and a very friendly server came by and showed me where it was. Koreana's menu has all the traditional Korean cuisine items such as bulgogi, spicy soup, hot pot, noodles, and the table BBQ as well as several Chinese dishes.

The restaurant was moderately full on a weeknight and our food didn't take long to arrive. Our first dish, the jap chae, came along with the banchan. One look at the jap chae and we knew we wouldn't be able to finish. It was a large plate and the dish was heaping full with noodles. The jap chae was delicious and cooked perfectly. The noodles had a tad too much sauce but that's just my personal preference. The banchan was also good and we polished off the banchan dishes rather quickly.

Next came the dolsot bibimbap. It was very tasty but I find with most bibimbap, it's only good if you add hot sauce to it. So as usual, I added a healthy dose of the Korean hot sauce to my bibimbap and it was a definite winner. We devoured this dish between the two of us on the first try.

Our meal concluded with complimentary sihkye (traditional sweet Korean rice beverage) for dessert. I've had this dessert at other Korean restaurants and you can never go wrong with sweet water. This was no exception.

I had a really good visit to Koreana and enjoyed their good service, good food and good atmosphere. I will definitely be back to try some of their other dishes to see how well they fare.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank Esther K

Edmonton, Canada
“BBQ at our table, delicious!”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

We dropped in on this strip-mall mom-and-pop, and were delightfully happy! Inside was very nice decor, and food was fresh and nicely presented. We ordered the BBQ for two, and it was enough food for our family of 6! Tea came automatically, which we loved. HIghly recommend.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank 6andersons1world
Canada
“Great restaurant.”
Reviewed October 16, 2010

This place has some great food, like the kalbi. You can cook it at your table, like many Korean restaurants. The food is authentic (I'm Korean) and quite tasty, the prices are decent. Each meal comes with banchan (side-dishes) which is bean sprouts, kimchi, radish kimchi, and the like. I recommend the BBQ, if you want to try all of them go for the combo meals. :)
The restaurant interior is nice, nothing too fancy but it isn't ugly either. It's decorated with Korean items and the tables are spaced out around the restaurant. Service is nice, the waiters are always friendly and willing to help out.

2 Thank minty_owls
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“best korean in calgary”
Reviewed November 15, 2009

best korean in calgary

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“the owner of the restaurant is very tacky, asked for more tip when the service was horrible(no service) and the food...”
Reviewed January 9, 2009

the owner of the restaurant is very tacky, asked for more tip when the service was horrible(no service) and the food was cold.. don't suggest hosting large gatherings their

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook