“Exceeded most expectations”

Ranked #67 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Sundre, Canada
“Exceeded most expectations”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We stayed with a large group (67 rooms) for a corporate function. The rooms weren't huge or fancy (we had two double beds which I haven't seen in a hotel in a long time) but they were clean and furnishings were current. Free wifi was nice too.
We dined in the on site restaurant for breakfast and everyone enjoyed their meals.
The staff were hugely accomodating in making sure we had food and beverage service, calling taxis for all 120 or so of us and even extending their usual lounge hours so we could stay and celebrate. They certainly went above and beyond what we had expected.

Room Tip: I'd request a king bed if I had the choice, the double/double combo doesn't work well for me...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
HolidayInnCalgary, General Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Travelmom Sundre thank you very much for taking the time to share your great review. We very much enjoyed hosting your group this past weekend and was glad to read that everyone had a great time during your business trip.

Thank you very much and we look forward to seeing you again.

Sincerely.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Regina, Canada
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Clean and comfortable place. Average Holiday Inn. The pool area was clean with towels. The only thing is that the housekeeping knocked to the door at 8:00, don't forget to place your sign. We asked to leave at 12:00 instead of 11:00 and the accepted.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank R B
HolidayInnCalgary, General Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you for your review we were glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, we do apologize for the Housekeeping department waking you up early, we will certainly review this policy with the entire team.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Ontario
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Stayed here for a few nights and the hotel itself is clean and the front desk staff is really nice, although I found the rooms to be a little on the small side.

The real issue with this place is the parking lot. The spots are too small, it's very busy, and the place is filled with "hosers" -- go look up the term if you're unfamiliar with it. I woke up late one night to see a bunch of these guys doing donuts in the parking lot with a truck and they nearly took out a few cars in the process. Fortunately I called the front desk and the security guard went out to talk to them, but he couldn't really do anything.

I was also woken up by people drag racing trucks in the back lot and other yahoo's yelling and screaming early in the morning hours. If this had happened for just one night I might let it go and overlook it, but this stuff happened every night. Maybe I just picked a bad time to be there, but I get the feeling this happens a lot.

For what you pay to stay there, you can get a better deal. At least the hotel inside is alright.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ontario_Guy80
Thank you very much for your comments. I am very sorry for the disturbances caused by these individuals deciding to joy ride in our parking lot, I was glad to read that our security team was notified and attempted to stop this activity. I apologize for the inconvenience.

We very hope that you decide to visit us again in the near future.

Sincerely.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Came over from england on holiday to see friends out here and stayed for 4 nights. Room was good and wifi was fast although would have liked a few more good channels on the tv.

Ordered room service quite a bit, food was ok but could have been more choice on the dinner menu. Prices were reasonable. All room service staff were nice except for one... i ordered a steak and fries and i got vegetable instead when i specifically asked for fries. room service gir who was quite young long hair had a bit of a attitude and told me i didnt order them when i know for a fact i did, she moaned for a while until she said ok i'll bring you fries. turned up and just handed them to me being a bit rude.

Finally house keeping......a bit of a pain! They knocked on my door 4 times of a morning! The first time often waking me up! i wish i had a do not disturb sign but i wasnt given one (not sure if the hotel use them.) Then one day i had a receptionist knock on my door saying i was meant to check out today although i had been booked in for another night that morning. (lack of communication between staff).

Overall wouldnt stay again mainly as housekeeping shouldnt disturb you so much and got very annoying! There are other hotels around that are cheaper and better.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
HolidayInnCalgary, General Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
jetsetter thank you very much for your comments and I apologize for the inconveniences caused during your recent visit.

I have discussed your room service comment with our Food and Beverage Manager and will ensure we discuss with our staff the importance of customer service.

With regards to Housekeeping we provide Do Not Disturb signs in all guest rooms and apologize for your room not having one or misplacing it, as well we attempt to confirm on your signed registration card at check in your departure date ,if there are no changes we ensure the check out date is matched in our Computer system, it is policy to knock on doors after check out hour to ensure room is vacant as well as to ensure safety for our guests.

These are not typical comments we receive so we wish to apologize once again and do hope that we have an opportunity in the future to provide you the services that we accustomed to offering.

Sincerely
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Spent 1 night here recently on a business trip. I picked it since it was relatively close to my meeting. The front reception was receptive and friendly. I requested a late check out and was given 1PM which was fine with me as I wanted to change clothes after my meeting. Getting to the room is somewhat disjointed without an elevator on the ground floor. You either go up or down a small flight of stairs and then walk to the elevator. Not an issue for me but I wonder what the protocol is if someone can't walk up and down a small set of stairs?
The room was spacious enough and had everything you'd expect in a hotel. The bed was fine to sleep in and even had two sets of pillows; soft and firm. I would have to say the room was rather dry and the sheets had a lot of static.
Had breakfast in the morning which was tasty enough. The serving staff was quite attentive.
There is a pool and fitness area but I didn't use them so I can't make a comment.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
HolidayInnCalgary, General Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Thank you very much for your review, we were pleased to read that all was satisfactory and as expected.

With regards to elevators and guests in need, our first floor hotel entrance is ground level and has easy access to an elevator if unable to manage the few stairs, our staff members also try to offer luggage assistance in order to assist all guests, I am hopeful this assistance was provided.

Thank you very much for your busines and we look forward to your return.

Switzerland
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I spent 3 nights on a business trip @ the Holiday Inn. It is conveniently located on the Macleod Trail South with plenty of free of charge parking space. The entrance level contains the lobby and the restaurant and the rooms are located one floor up and down. The rooms are in standard size. They had a good selection of dishes for breakfast and I also had a tasty lunch in the restaurant.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
HolidayInnCalgary, General Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments, and your great review.

Your business is appreciated and we wish you a Happy Holiday season, We look forward to your future visit with us in the new year.

Toronto
Reviewed December 7, 2013

I traveled to Calgary for a funeral. It was a last minute booking & last minute trip - you just can plan for these things.

The hotel was convenient to the funeral home.

Despite it being last minute, the staff greeted me warmly and with lots of smiles.

The room was well appointed and very clean.

Staff made the visit a very pleasant one.

Room service was quick to respond and the food was great - portions were big.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 4th floor are not on the hill.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
HolidayInnCalgary, General Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Thank you very much for your great review, I am sorry to read that your visit was due to a funeral but I was pleased to read that we were able to greet you in a friendly and warm manner and provide a comfortable room during your stay.

Thank you very much and we hope to have you visit us again real soon.