Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South
Ranked #57 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Arcola, Saskatchewan, Canada
“OUCH!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Stayed Friday night of Rememberance Day weekend. Room was fine, food in lounge ok. But at breakfast slipped & fell on the ceramic tile stairs at the back parking lot entrance. Maintenance man was mopping, just looked at me & said "it just slippery" & kept mopping! Didn't ask if I was ok, or come help me up or anything! Eventually got myself up & limped away to elevator. At check out a little later, I told the girl at the desk about my fall. She said "oh, sorry" & that was it! Didn't ask if I was ok, offer an address for a walk in clinic to get checked out...nothing! She finally asked us how our stay was, & I said "ok, except my back after falling on those steps!" Got a dirty look from her!! A month later, back is still sore! Definitely will not stay here again. Stairs on other flights have a rubber bullnose strip to stop slips, but not those flights at the entrance!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kimberly12118
HolidayInnCalgary, General Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank you for your comments, I will start off by offering you a sincere apology, I was shocked to hear that your incident was not given a sincere reply from our staff members, I would have never expected this, as we hear quite often how wonderful our team members are.

We are constantly cleaning our public areas since we have 4 entrances into our Hotel, and with our snowy and slushy weather must mop often, we place door mats at all entrances however this does not prevent our floors from getting wet and we make all effort to ensure proper "slippery when wet" signs are displayed everywhere along with regular maintenance with cleaning th eareas. That being said I have the expectations that our team members respond to any slip and fall and more importantly to any negative experience as well we expect our team to offer a sincere apology and offer of assistance, you felt this was not provided and I apologize.

Your letter has been shared with all department managers with a request from me to ensure we speak about this during our daily meetings.

Thank you for your business and I wish you a wonderful holiday season.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The Holiday Inn on Macleod Trail S in Calgary is a standard Holiday Inn - no surprises, either good or bad. It is well located, right on MacLeod Trail, close to downtown and Chinook Center mall for shopping. You have easy access to MacLeod Trail if you are driving, or the C-Train, which is a couple of blocks away. The C-Train tracks are right behind the hotel, but the trains are pretty quiet so you won’t really hear them unless you have your window wide open and are listening for them. The hotel has been added to in recent years, so the architecture is a bit odd, but the hallways are wide, bright and clean, so odd angles in the hallways are not a big deal.

Everything was spotlessly clean and the staff were very friendly, both at the front desk and those we met in the hallways. Check-in and check-out were very quick and efficient. WIFI is free and the TV worked fine, but we didn’t do much TV watching so I couldn’t tell you how many channels you have access to. There is an iron/ironing board in the room. The air conditioning was a bit tricky, but it functioned as expected – as soon as I figured out what all the symbols on the display meant! We didn’t use the indoor pool, but it looked very inviting when we walked by it on our way out.

The room size is average, not a lot of extra space, but there is a reasonably comfy armchair and a nice desk chair for extra seating. The light in the room is not great. When you turn the light on at the door, it illuminates only the front entrance. You have to turn on all the other lights in the room or it’s pretty dark at night. The room darkening window liner didn’t cover the entire window, so a lot of light leaks in around the edges. I tried to move it, but just ended up with a gap somewhere else. Not a big deal, but I do like it dark when I sleep. The window is quite large, so it’s nice and bright during the day. We had a king bed room, and the bed was very comfy. We had our choice of pillows, firm or soft. The firm pillow actually stayed firm all night, I didn’t try the soft one. They also mention that they have other pillow options if the firm and soft pillows in the room are not to your liking.

The bathroom is a bit small, with a small vanity - not a lot of space for a larger toiletries bag. The shower and toilet are separate from the vanity – pretty standard. You get shampoo, conditioner, lotion a shower cap, 2 bars of soap, and a shoe polishing cloth. The toiletries are nice, and there is enough shampoo and conditioner for two people, for one day (unless one of you has long hair, then there’s enough for one). The conditioner is OK, not great as I had trouble combing out my fine hair, but it’s better than the ‘conditioning shampoo’ that really doesn’t do any conditioning at all! Didn’t try the lotion. The water pressure in the shower is fantastic and there was plenty of hot water. There were lots of towels, but they could use a bit of fabric softener in their wash – the towels were like sandpaper!

We had breakfast in the morning in the restaurant. Breakfast was great (veggie omelette and eggs Benedict), price was about what you would expect to pay, and the wait staff were very friendly and efficient. You get your own thermos pot of coffee, along with a paper cup if you want to take what’s left with you. Nice touch, that one! There are lots of dining options in the near vicinity, walking distance or driving, if you don’t want to eat at the hotel.

Overall, a reliable hotel chain at a standard price. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DorisBH
Thank you so very much, you have obviously put much thought and effort into this incredible review, thank you so very much for taking the time to share your experience, you touched on so many great features of this Hotel.

We are so pleased that your expectations were met and we are excited to know that you would return, thank you so very much for your business and please have a wonderful Holiday Season,

Sincerely and with best wishes,
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed here 3 nights for a business trip and really had no isses. Nothing fancy, just pretty much a good average type hotel room.
The good:
-Room service food was outstanding! Great food at a half decent price too
-Room was clean, bed was comfortable
-Quiet where I was at least. I could see the C-train station out my window but didn't hear anything
-Staff was very friendly

The bad:
-Work was paying for me so not as big of a deal, but the price wasn't great. A lot in Calgary can get expensive, but travelling personally I've booked other similar type hotels for a fair bit cheaper

I try to save my 5* reviews for something that either wows me in terms of value or experience, so I couldn't really give it that. But really it's good for what it is. I'd stay here again for work and if I got a better price on the rates, I'd have no problem staying here on a personal trip either.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank nworock
Thank you for sharing your review, I was very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, the comments about the staff are very much appreciated and always shared with them. Also very pleased that you enjoyed the Food and beverage outlets, we have a great menu with many comfort foods that will surely please all.

You mentioned our property being a little high in rate, we monitor our competitor rates weekly as well as the activities in Calgary, this city is very busy with many Corporate business and the city is accustomed to running high occupancies mid week, with high demand comes a higher cost and we at the Holiday Inn attempt to offer a fair rate, we are located 5 minutes from downtown so we like to say we offer the same services with great staff but at a rate much lower than downtown, you can leave your car with us and take the transit which saves the high parking fees.

We look forward to your return, and thank you very much for your business.

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Spent one night at this Holiday Inn location during a recent business trip to Calgary. Having stayed here before I knew what to expect, but I unfortunately found that the room quality had gone down since my last visit. The bed in my room was lumpy, and uncomfortable, and the entire property feels like it needs updating, and a thorough cleaning. In addition to the room conditions, my travel companions, and I, found the dinner service at the hotel restaurant to extremely slow and uninterested. To the point that we had to ask for our meal three times before it arrived. The restaurant was not busy, and it is difficult to understand why the wait staff were struggling so much.

2 Thank JetJunkie
HolidayInnCalgary, General Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
We just received your review and we apologize for the inconviences caused, we rarely receive concerns about our bedding, unfortunately I had no information provided to me from your stay so I am unsure what room you were in, we like to follow up on all concerns with hopes of making any corrections and we would have taken the necessary steps to ensure you were satisfied prior to departure. I was sorry to read about your dining experience as well, this is a surprise to hear that you had requested your meal on three occassions to be delivered, especially when the Restaurant was so quiet. If you wish to share any further information we would welcome the room number so we could inspect the room as well as the date of your visit so I can follow up with the Food and Beverage manager and see what caused these delays,

sincerely,

Travelers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Lamont
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Reserved with this hotel for a better experience than what a cheaper hotel would have given us. Well reserved a King bed with a queen pull out... and the hotel cannot say I did not cause guess what I have a copy of my reservation. We were told at check in I am sorry we have none of these rooms for dogs. We have you in a room with two double beds, cause they are PET Rooms..... that is not what i reserved. It was late at night so what flippen choice to you have. When unloading our stuff, the hallway just smelled of someone smoking pot. So haul my butt up to the front desk.. ALL three nights were were there we complained... all we got is air freshner sprayed in the halls.... I am so disappointed in this hotel experience... Hospitality Promise... I am waiting for the credit on my credit card for ALL three nights

Room Tip: Dont stay on the first floor....
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank HappyIamnot
We are sorry to read about your experience. It is important to note that we took all actions possible, we are not able to control what our guests do in the room, and it is unfortunate certain individuals ruin it for our other guests, we do have a 100% non smoking policy and the room in question was looked at, we take all effort to enforce this rule and unfortunately it was an illegal substance which would bother anyone, and we apologize. We also contacted your first thing Monday to apologize and offered a night of compensation which we believe was a sign of offering for this inconvenience. As for the Pet policy we reserve rooms on our main level for Pet Friendly rooms and never have issues, you had requested a King room and this particular Pet Friendly room was not ready, we make all effort not to place pets in all room types on all floors as many of our guests are allergic, so we have a few rooms available and ensure these are cleaned with extra products knowing a pet was in the room, again we took the necessary steps to acknowledge and rectify your important issues and we are sorry you had an unpleasant night.

Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I stayed here as I was driving out early in the morning heading south and wanted to avoid the horrible Calgary rush hour traffic. All the staff I met whether at the front desk, in the hall, at the restaurant were very friendly, polite and respectful. The interior is a little old looking but nothing significant. I had a kingsize bed. It was too soft for me. The had two sets of pillows one rated soft the other firm. Even these were too soft. But I know that some people like soft so that is really down to your taste. Size of the room was ok, and internet was free both wifi in your room and ethernet connection.

I had breakfast in the restaurant in the morning. it was very good. I like that they automatically give you a cup to take your coffee with you at the end of breakfast. Nice little touch. Macleod Trail has a number of restaurants on it so you dont have to go far to get something to eat. There is a good little Mexican restaurant called Salt and Pepper kiddie corner from the hotel and a block South. I did hear one train while I was in the room.

Overall the hotel was fine. Nothing great nothing horrible.

1 Thank KMB66
HolidayInnCalgary, General Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary - Macleod Trail South, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank you for your great review, i am glad you had a great visit while in Calgary and thank you for staying with us at the Holiday Inn Calgary Macleod Trail South.

Glad you enjoyed your King room, I wish you had the perfect pillows but we attempt to offer soft and firm pillows in all rooms with our pillow top mattresses.

Glad you enjoyed the restuarant and friendly services, and yes the restaurant you mentioned is great, nice to have that option within walkin distance.

Thank you again and we look forward to your return visit.

Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We arrived at the hotel and the staff were very nice. My wife had booked the room online and used her Holiday inn reward points. The staff told us that reservations need to be done by the the rewards people but the staff really helped straighten out the problem. The room was nice and we had a good night. We were close to the sadle dome so we took the train to the concert and the station was nearby. We had no time to go out and eat so we ate at the hotel resterant and eat found it reasonable and very good. We also had breakfast there and but didn't enjoy it much. Over all it was a good stay and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank irishgreen343
Thank you to both you and your wife for sharing some great feedback, we hope you had a great time at the concert.

We are so lucky to be located less than 10 minutes away from the Saddledome which hosts many large concerts, the amazing Calgary Stampede, many large conventions and hopefully one day soon our Calgary Flames.

Glad we were able to sort out the room night and the ability to use your priority points, this is a great Holiday Inn recognition program and everyone should join.

We hope to see you soon and thank you for your business.