“The best Italian restaurant in Calgary!”

Vero Bistro Moderne
Reserve with OpenTable
Vero Bistro Moderne is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 3,770 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Italian, Contemporary, Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Sunnyside
Cross street: Kensington Road
Description: With an atmosphere that breathes relaxed elegance, Vero Bistro presents a menu that defines inspired Italian Fusion Cuisine. Vero's Chef Jenny believes strongly in the importance of fresh, healthy food while supporting the local community and strives to create flavourful inspired cuisine using quality ingredients sourced from a variety of trusted local producers, Remarkable starters and plates designed for sharing are offered along side hearty entrees, such as the house made pasta, grass fed beef, seafood, lamb, chicken and duck, with many gluten-free options available. Featured small plates include, Meatball 'Bolognese', Signature Sweet Potato Gnocchi with wild boar bacon and gorgonzola, as well as more substantial offerings, such as the Grass Fed New York Steak w truffle parmesan frites, traditional agnolotti with bone marrow barbera reduction "The Seafood Platter". No Menu Tuesdays $45/guest Steak & Frites on Wednesdays 3 courses $39/guest Brunch Sat & Sun 10 AM-2 PM
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Vero is by far the best restaurant in Calgary and definitely sets the bar for the rest of the crowd. The food is authentically Italian, the value and service is impressive. One of my favourite item is the Florentine style grilled steak which is truly representative of what can be found in Tuscany. I also love the pappardelle bolognese and the paella, very nice! The featured wine list is also great for a restaurant this size.

I don't live in Calgary but I visit a couple of times a year and I have been mostly disappointed with the dining scene. Most restaurants in Calgary are unoriginal and mediocre at best where service is often hit and miss, regardless of the price scale. These restaurants focus on ambiance and concept but fail to deliver on the food and service. Vero is a gem! I highly recommend this restaurant and I make effort to visit every time I'm in town. The Jenny and her staff are definitely on top of their game.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,221)

Reviewed November 27, 2013

I went to vero for lunch yesterday with my family was excellent.We order a seafood platter and it's awesome and all kind of fresh seafood in that plate, I will highly recommend on this dish.We really enjoy our lunch there.

Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

I went to Vero yesterday with my boyfriend to celebrate our first anniversary. I have been to some intalian restaurants and this place is unexpectedly awesome. The foods were tasty and fresh. We've ordered muscles,seafood pasta,lamb chops and seabass with scallop. Surely we did tried a dessert which I dont remember the name. I do recommend people to go but it's pretty expensive.

1  Thank dicky3833
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Enjoyed a business lunch with a colleague at Vero Bistro Moderne. It is a small restaurant with a modern vibe. There is a small area near the window with four tables and the remainder are behind that. We made a reservation but it wasn't really required as there were only four tables that were occupied on that day.

We had the featured special which consisted of butternut squash soup and a chicken breast with asparagus and carrots for $19.00. Both dishes were delicious. While I didn't think this pricing was outrageous, it is a bit on the high side for lunch.

We had a coffee to finish off which was exquisite.

1  Thank YYC_traveler_10
Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

They've presented their food very well. It'd be a nice place for a romantic date. The gnocchi was pretty good and the calamari, not so much..... A little salty for me. I have one other thing, I couldn't remember what it was called but it was pretty good too. But after all that, I was still hungry... Probably because I could eat a lot too. I just felt like I they've spent a lot of time preparing the food nicely and the the proportions were were not enough. Seemed like I was in a fancy restaurant in New York where you paid for a very well presented food that is very tasty that you paid $100 for and all you had are 3 shrimps with some leaves on top. That is an over exaggeration but it kind of felt like that.

3  Thank FoodJunky123456