“I'll be back”

Vero Bistro Moderne
Reserve with OpenTable
Vero Bistro Moderne is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 3,573 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Italian, Contemporary, Fusion
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Sunnyside
Cross street: Kensington Road
Description: With an atmosphere that breathes relaxed elegance, Vero Bistro presents a menu that defines inspired Italian Fusion Cuisine. Vero's Chef Jenny believes strongly in the importance of fresh, healthy food while supporting the local community and strives to create flavourful inspired cuisine using quality ingredients sourced from a variety of trusted local producers, Remarkable starters and plates designed for sharing are offered along side hearty entrees, such as the house made pasta, grass fed beef, seafood, lamb, chicken and duck, with many gluten-free options available. Featured small plates include Truffled Edamame, Baby Calamari Frito with romesco and the Signature Sweet Potato Gnocchi with wild boar bacon and gorgonzola, as well as more substantial offerings, such as the Surf & Turf Platter, Spring Creek Grass Fed Rib Eye Steak, Steamed Seabass with lemon risotto and "The Seafood Platter". No Menu Tuesdays $39/guest Steak & Frites on Wednesdays 3 courses $39/guest Brunch Sat & Sun 10 AM-2 PM
Calgary, Canada
“I'll be back”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

My friend took me here for my birthday. He had heard about it from friends and it came highly recommended. Now I gladly pass on the recommendation! Firstly the service is top notch. The staff are very friendly, very informative with the food and wine and very attentive when it came to re-filling our drinks, clearing plates, etc. We had the most amazing short ribs! It was so tender and flavorful. I think it was the chef's special and not usually on the menu but I want to go back to try other entrees. For dessert I had the creme brulee and it was divine!

• Visited June 2012
3 Thank keynotes

• Korean first
Seattle
“Fantastic”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

We visited this restaurant as a party of 5 just before the Stampede. The service was excellent and the food was just superb. The menu is innovative, the food prepared perfectly and the flavours intense and delicious. Don't miss this restaurant if you are seeking a real gourmet delight in Calgary.

2 Thank terrywatto
Calgary, AB
“Good but a bit pricy”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My wife and I ventured out to Vero Bistro Moderne last week, based mostly on other TripAdvisor reviews. While we had a reservation we didn't need one, and thought that was odd for a Friday night. I thought that overall the food was very good. I had the calamari to start and Bouillabaisse for main. The Bouillabaisse had tomato in the broth, sort of half way between the standard and cioppino. Tasty, but it my put off some purists. All dishes were excellent. My wife had a bean salad to start and parpadelle for a main. I got to taste both and thought they were great.

On the downside I ordered a glass of Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc and they were out of it. When I asked what the substitute was the waiter started trying to play 20 questions – “do you like fruity or dry?” I could tell this wouldn’t go well so I quickly switched to beer. Their beer list is, in a word, bizarre. The only two things on it that I’d even heard of where the raspberry wheat and the apricot wheat. And I’ll point out that I drink a lot of strange beer and frequent bars that claim to have 100 beers on tap, so for me to not have heard of all but 2 is remarkable. I settled on a Belgian pale ale, and when I got it noticed it was 8.5% alcohol. I wish the server would have warned me, or that they’d put it on the beer list. It was also served in a brandy snifter… strangest thing I’ve ever seen. I’m glad I shifted to beer. The chap at the next table opted for the alternative wine and got a blend with Semillon and Viogner in it which he complained about. I would have done the same thing!

Would we go again – maybe. Will we become regulars? Not likely. It was good, but it wasn’t outstanding for the price and the strange twists didn’t add to the experience. If were lived in Kensington it might just become a regular spot for something that’s a big step up from the pubs.

5 Thank TravelSkeptic43
Calgary
“Elegant and Delicious!”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I was thinking about where to go for my birthday and had almost decided on the Cactus Club, when I got an e-mail from Vero Bistro offering a free antipasto platter if I booked a date in July, my birth month. Well, how could I pass that up? So I went with two friends and we had a blast! The only fly in the ointment was that on the reservation, I mentioned someone had tree allergies. One of the appetizers had whole almonds on it, which were fortunately very easy to spot. And we asked for a creme brulee without hazelnut, which they were able to do, but it came with a macaron. Fortunately we know those are made with almond flour and my sister grabbed it before her boyfriend could even think about touching it. :) So other than that, the meal was grand and I would highly recommend Vero Bistro.

2 Thank AriaDream
Calgary, Canada
“Walk in, sit down and enjoy!”
Reviewed June 14, 2012

A group of 7 for dinner. The restaurant came recommended so away we went. If you were just walking by and peeked in this Kensington restaurant, you might keep on going. Not an overly impressive/inviting first glance. However... the service was great and all of us were extremely pleased with the food choices. The appetizers (Heirloom salad and gnocchi) were exceptional and so was the main course (sea bass, which four of us had).
I was surprised to have a martini with small black olives, which is definitely not my preference, so only had one. The wine was reasonably priced and small but good wine list.

• Visited June 2012