“Hit and miss takeout”
Review of The Main Dish

The Main Dish
Reserve with OpenTable
The Main Dish is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #759 of 3,770 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Canadian, Fusion
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet, Takeout
Neighborhood: Northeast Calgary
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Fairly pricey take out, but worth it when it is good -- which is not always. Quality and quantity seems to vary greatly depending on what staff are working. Has been more misses recently, which is frustrating for the price.

2  Thank monday

Reviewed January 14, 2013

the place is really small and is more like a deli but you can order food. The food is good however the price is like joey tomatoes pricing so like $16 a plate so i rather eat at joeys because the scenery is better there and just better atmosphere overall. The place feels like a deli but with upscale prices if the price was bit more scaled back it would be a gem

1  Thank henry n
Reviewed November 24, 2012

The Main Dish is a one of a kind dining experience. The 'Dish' is set up with oodles of ready made food to grab and go. Its fresh, healthy cuisine, prepared by the chef each day. If you're more in the mood to stay, select home made soups, salads, sandwiches and an assortment of daily hot dishes. There is a small wine/beer menu with enough choices to satisfy, as well as great coffee and fine teas. Not only is the food upscale and delicious, but the staff make an effort to have you feel welcomed and comfortable. I have had several catered group meals here and the staff always go out of their way to tailor make the menu to suit the guests. I would 100% recommend a quick stop for dinner or celebrate a special occasion with a pre-selected menu and invite all of your family and friends. An absolutely great stop, no matter why you go there!

6  Thank CanadianMum
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Pork delicious however the piece I took home when it was cold noticed how fatty it was and probably would never order it again.

1  Thank CiaoBelladrea
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Not once but everytime, at least 10 times, I order a hot dish and tell them that I have a shellfish allergy, the chef's exact response is "Sorry, we can't make any guarantees". I never asked for a guarantee. There are never guarantees in life. That's why we shellfish and peanut allergy people carry our Epi-Pens everywhere. He was quite reluctant to cook my food, his body language made me feel like he had no intention of serving me, and even after I told him that I have an Epi-Pen. I told him just tell me if the dish has shrimp in it or not. And he said no but again no guarantee. So I clarified, is it in the recipe for that dish that there be shellfish in there? Same response. I got the no guarantee the first time he said it. I didn't ask for that. Look, I am a human being, not a law suit. I don't believe a person can sue a restaurant for allergies unless there is a written guarantee the premises are shellfish or peanut free. I just want them to take every precaution they can, i.e. cook on a clean grill, including not putting shrimp in my food. He does say this in the end after I complain to him about his approach that he is scaring me and makes me not want to tell him of my allergy at all. Wouldn't that be more unethical to encourage people to not tell their allergies? He tells me the staff are all trained to say it this way to say the no guarantee disclaimer right away. So I realize it is not his fault since he is consistent with the order in which he says this message. It is, Jason, the owner's responsibility to train staff to communicate this without alienating clients with allergies.

Jason, if you are reading this, please reconsider how you handle allergies. I have been accomodated for at many restaurant and market style dining places. The staff are mostly so friendly at other places when I tell them that I have a shellfish allergy and that lowers my panic and anxiety of getting a reaction. They never start off with saying "We can't guarantee it". They start off with "we will take all necessary precautions like cleaning the grill or cooking on a different grill from shellfish" to give me assurance of their best efforts, then they may say at one or two places "we can't guarantee" but only after they ensure me they will do their best. Majority of places 9/10 will say no problem we will take all necessary precautions and let the Chef know. That's it. No disclaimers needed. I know they will try their best. Never ever an issue until Main Dish. I have been coming here for 6 years now. Never encountered this until this year when I started ordering hot dishes. Your staff has seen me numerous times. I've never had an anaphylactic reaction there. Is it just more desirable for your business to push clients with allergies away due to high risk and high incidence? Maybe you could consider putting your disclaimer in print on the menu board instead of having staff recite a not so inviting message? Did you guys have a bad experience before and are overreacting? I was very harsh with your chef there and feel very bad because he was doing as told so it really was not his fault. I did ask him next time to rephrase it better with "we will do our best".

This occured yesterday, Friday, September 21 and my boyfriend and I left because it was too awkward with the Chef after and ruined my appetite. I was too scared to eat there. Jason, I'd like to continue to support your local business but only if your staff get retrained on how to deal with allergy customers in a less anxiety causing and more friendly manner. Please let me know when it is safe to return to Main Dish.