“Don't bother with this place.”
Review of Mirchi

Cuisines: Pakistani
Neighborhood: Beltline
Neighborhood: Beltline
Reviewed April 16, 2013

A small Pakistani place but really hit or miss - overall a miss. One time I went there (I've been 3 times), it was a hit but only regarding the food and I say that still with some trepidation. The dal was delicious as were the mixed greens they served that day. I had the meal to go. What I don't like about the place is that the kitchen operations seem dirty and their food handling practices are unsanitary and risky for diners. The kitchen operation is in full view so you can see this plainly.

The eat in area is very small and service inattentive because there are not enough employees and they are not organized well enough to properly serve people.

It's not clear when you walk in what to do if you are planning on staying in - not sure if someone will come to your table or if you must order at the till and then take a seat. The seating area is not clean enough and often tables are full of dirty dishes for awhile.

If you walk-in and order take-out, you will wait a very long time while they prepare your order. My meal came with a salad that they put into a paperbag - that's it - nothing else. You must dump your salad out of the paperbag into some other container or on the inside lid of your opened entre to pour the dressing on and eat it.

The last time I ate the dal there, it was terrible - swimming in oil - really greasy and the flavour was bland. The vegetables were luke warm from sitting under lamps in the front display.

Overall, the food is, at best, inconsistent - sometimes really good, sometimes terrible. The service is always poor and slow. The place is always disorganized and dirty.

I'm surprised they haven't had any health inspector check them out yet.

1  Thank Kim T

Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Excellent food. If you love pakistani food, Mirchi is close to the authentic stuff. Should try butter chicken with naan, chicken briyani, prawn karahi. Fish tikka masala is good too but can be salty to one's taste.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

I was stoked to have Mirchi while visiting Calgary on business. I was staying at a hotel down the street and decided to grab food to go.

Simply, it wasn't good. I ordered the combo #2 with butter chicken and daal. I also ordered a side of garlic naan, which was the best part of the meal, but still not as garlicky as it should have been. The "salad" that comes with the meal was packaged in a paper bag. See, that sucks because when I got to the hotel and pulled the salad out of plastic bag that housed the rest of the meal, the ENTIRE bottom of the salad bag ripped out spilling salad all over my floor. Unluckily for me, there were a few pieces of lettuce and onion to try, but wow was that ever disappointing. I think they left dressing off of my order completely, that, or I really don't understand Pakistani food.

The daal was seriously lacking in salt. I fear they may have run out of salt altogether, or maybe they ran out of spoons to taste what they're making. I literally had to force myself to eat the dish. The butter chicken was missing the creamy texture I normally associate with the dish, and honestly, it was over spiced. Not spicy, mind you, just over spiced, like they had a huge vat of old garam masala and just threw it all in. As well, the very large pieces of chicken made the dish more difficult to eat than necessary, especially considering I wasn't at home and didn't have plates or silverware.

Which leads me to my largest annoyance. Perhaps this is the American in me, but when I order to go, I expect the restaurant to include silverware or, at a minimum, ask me if I need some. After walking to my hotel, taking the elevator to the 11th floor, and getting the food out, I realized too late. Of course, the hotel had some silverware, but that took 20 minutes to get to my room (that's for another review...)

The ambience was decent inside, but it was stiflingly hot in there. Seriously, invest in some fans, guys.

Customer service? Hah. There was a young girl sitting behind the register playing solitaire on her blackberry, she looked up when I came in, but CLEARLY wasn't wanting to help as she didn't even say a word to me. Check this out, if you're just going to sit on your phone, don't do it up front. It's rude. The lady who finally did help me was fast, but curt. They clearly didn't give a crap that I was there. And because of that, I would never go back here, and I recommend that you don't try it once.

2  Thank Tim L
Reviewed July 23, 2012

12th Ave. Branch: Small place, mostly for take out. Food is great and always tasty. Some Kabobs are a bit spicy. Their Biryani (that's only available Friday-Sunday) is one of the best in Calgary. If you are used to excellent service, you may be dissapointed, as with most Asian establishments, service is mostly care free. However, I know this has nothing to do with their service level, but simply a different cultural way of dealing with customers. If you are going there for the food only, you are mostly likely not going be dissapointed.

2nd Ave. Branch: Full restaurant and more spacious. Excellent romantic decor. However, food is a bit of a lesser quality than the original branch on 12th Ave.

1  Thank Majid S
Reviewed May 22, 2012

This is not the 1st time we were visiting mirchi. the front staff was all happy and chatty with their own colleagues but terrible with customers.she never thanked or never used any courteous words. the food quality was cheap too.I ordered daal which was mixed with 3 different kinds of lentils and none of them were properly cooked. Chicken karahi was lacking chicken and no taste at all. this was my last time i have visited.