“Food Great - Atmos Lacking”

Chef's Table at Kensington Riverside Inn
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 10 "A" Street
Transit: Close to Sunnyside C-train station
Description: Chef's Table is a CAA four-diamond award-winning upscale 40-seat restaurant residing at the Kensington Riverside Inn, Calgary's only Relais & Chateaux property. Chef's Table is one of Calgary's top fine-dining establishments, serving modern French cuisine in a uniquely memorable dining experience. Chef de Cuisine Michel Nop showcases his passion for food in our open concept kitchen. Enjoy breakfast, dinner or weekend brunch in our intimate 40-seat restaurant. Dine indoors or sit outside on our patio overlooking the Bow River, open seasonally from mid-May through September. Be sure to ask about our ever-changing tasting menus with wine pairings. Passing through the neighbourhood? ... Chef's Table is available for special events, receptions and weddings.
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Food is awesome but the atmosphere is lacking. It maybe a subjective thing where I am not too find of the big square room with a few tables lined up but either way I appreciate a little more character. I have been a few times with groups of friends and wouldn't suggest it for a night out. Family dinner is a better fit.

Service is great and food is amazing so thats what important.

1  Thank Water_BabyTina

Reviewed May 20, 2013

For a small 10 table restaurant with an open kitchen, this one was pleasantly quiet, with no noisy rattling of plates and pots.
Menu and wine list offered plenty of choices. I particularly liked the meritage-style Chateau Angludet Margaux 2009 and its reasonable price. The food and presentation was excellent although I found everything a bit too salty for my taste. Breakfast was also a pleasant variety with lemon ricotta pancakes, feature omelettes and eggs beni. My Croque Madame was perfect but my potatoes didn't need that extra little sprinkle of finishing salt.

1  Thank Dawnafreeman1
Reviewed May 15, 2013

This is one of the best restaurants in Calgary, with consistently outstanding flavours and high prices to match. My main course was garnished with these fantastic dehydrated melon slices that had been rehydrated. Tasty and very original. The service is consistently great: knowledgeable and appropriately friendly with no smarminess.

The only caution I have is for diners with allergies. On both of the last two trips to the Chef's Table, I have told them in advance of my anaphylactic allergy to tree nuts when I made the reservation and mentioned it again to the waiter.

The previous time, I had a dessert that was listed as nut free, which in fact contained nuts, which necessitated an epi-pen shot. This time, I ordered a dessert they said they could prepare without nuts and they brought it out sprinkled with nuts all over the top of it. Because they were visible, I was able to avoid them, but I was shocked that they seem to have a blind spot for allergies.

Some restaurants are better than others with allergies. The Westin Keg is particularly good at protecting its patrons from allergic reactions. Sadly, Chef's Table is not so good in this obscure, but vital regard. That is a shame, for it is otherwise a very good place to eat.

1  Thank selmer
WernaMaurer, Manager at Chef's Table at Kensington Riverside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2013

Good afternoon and thank you for taking the time to write a TripAdvisor Review. We believe strongly in TripAdvisor to provide our future guests with the best opinion and assist them in making decisions on where to dine. That being said, let me start by apologizing for this very serious infraction on our end. We take dietary concerns, allergies and restrictions very seriously, and typically pride ourselves in being flexible and accommodating our guests in these matters.
I assure you that this topic will be discussed with our service and kitchen team to assure this does not happen again. I encourage you to give us another opportunity, and would ask you not to hesitate to contact me directly if you have any further questions or concerns or would like to make a reservation. Have a wonderful weekend!

Yours in Hospitality,

Werna Maurer
Hotel Manager

Reviewed May 13, 2013

The service was very good for only one person waiting tables, friendly staff and the food was great! I will definitely be dining at the Chef’s Table again when I am in Calgary!

1  Thank Derr46
Reviewed May 1, 2013

HI:

Just when you think it can't get any better....they top that benchmark. Attended a wine (feature) dinner with a set menu and everything was amazing. Stunning Bordeaux and Sauternes with perfect food pairings. Attentive service in their usual fashion. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

2  Thank Canukgal