“Disneyland of Canada” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Plano
“Disneyland of Canada”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2005

I had been to this hotel in 2001 with my father. He fell in love with Lake Louise and this hotel. For years he talked about our trip. Recently his prostate cancer has advanced and he doesn't have much time. To cheer him up and spend some quality time with him, I booked another trip to the three Fairmont hotels of Banff, Lake Louise, and Jasper. Since the last time we were in Lake Louise we did not get a lake view room, I specifically called and made reservations for a lake view room. I emphatically explained that unless I am guaranteed a lake view room, I am not interested in staying there. They assured me of it.

When we showed up, they gave us a room in the newer tower built behind the main tower. It had lake view but obstructed by the other tower. It wasn't the beautiful view that I had imagined for my father. It took an hour to talk to the manager and they just threw up their arms and said that they can't do anything for me. They insisted that our room was lake view. The attitude of the manager was poor and she did not do anything to help out.

Compared to the older tower, the rooms in the newly built rear tower are much bigger, cleaner, and have a lot more luxurious amenities. In that respect they were better. However, the view is no where as nice. Additionally, every bus in North America pulls into the drive way directly in front of the lake facing rooms in the new tower. You can imagine the noise of diesel engines running, the exhaust fumes, and the constant beeping of when the buses back up. As early as 6:30 AM the buses started coming to the lake and so with open windows we were woken up every morning. In many ways, I felt like I was in Disneyland. As these buses open their doors, hords of tourists run out to the restaurants, lobby of the hotel, etc. You may have as well stayed at Disneyland. With all of this commotion, tourists, noise, etc. you cannot possibly enjoy the peace and serenity of the mountains and the lake. It was so bad that we decided to leave our hotel and go to the Post to eat dinner and enjoy relaxing on a chair outside to read and talk. I would highly recommend the Post Hotel instead of Fairmont.

Finally, when we were there in late May, the entire front of the hotel and lake front was torn up and under construction. For the $500 a night price tag, I got ripped off.

• Stayed May 2005
14 Thank RezaDu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,896)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2005

After much discussion about potential summer travel destinations, my friend and I decided on the Canadian Rockies. She loves camping and I love anything that can be done outdoors. I began researching the many areas to visit and having only a week to stay, decided that we would go to Banff and Lake Louise. The two 'hot spots' in the Canadian Rockies. Hot in both temperature and popularity! We would be staying in Banff for the first few days but decided to splurge and treat ourselves to the last two days/night
at the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, which we would soon come to realize, is one of the most beautiful places on the face of the earth (and I've had to good fortune to see many of those places!)

Getting There:

We flew from New York to Calgary and rented a car. Calgary Airport has car rental terminals on site so you can literally step across the passenger pickup lane and into your rent a car. No shuttles to contend with, no need to consult a map to find the rental agency. Very convenient.
The beginning of our trip was spent in Banff, a 90 minute drive from the airport, a beautiful place, but all the while we knew that the end of our trip would be the most glorious, Lake Louise!
The Chateau Lake Louise is nestled within the vast wilderness known as the Banff National Park. Roughly a 2 hour drive west on the Trans Canada Highway known as Highway 1. There also exists a 1A that runs parallel but 1 is much more scenic and a wider highway so less traffic.
The hotel can also schedule airport pickups if you don't want to drive but I recommend renting a car, it's not necessary if you're only staying in Lake Louise, but there is so much to see in the surrounding areas. It's more than worth it.

Chateau Arrival:

As we drove the final leg of our journey up to the Chateau, after enjoying our time in Banff, we could not believe our eyes. The Chateau sits on the stunning Lake Louise. Nearly enveloped by the surrounding Rocky Mountain peaks. The teal color of the water truly looks like it has been painted by the brush of a masterful artist. The absolutely pristine environment nearly causes visitors to speak in whispers, the lake and property are so awe inspiring.
Puling up to the circular driveway, the bellman/ valet services dressed in native Swiss themed garb, graciously asked if he could park our car or we could opt to park it ourselves. He could carry our bags unless we could manage ourselves. The staff is completely accomodating in every way, not to mention friendly and hospitable. Valet parking is $22 Canadian per day but it is quite easy to park the car on site yourself as well.

Check-In:

Walking through the main lobby, music from an unseen harpist drifting through the large hallways, we approached the desk to check in. To our amazement, the hotel had given us a room upgrade to a deluxe suite in the new wing. The older section of the hotel is also quite beautiful but the new wing has larger rooms and an incredible view of the whole expanse of the lake. Suffice it to say, we were already quite pleased with the Fairmont services!

The Room:

Walking into the room we put our bags down, astounded at the vision before us. Our gorgeous room, complete with plush feather topped queen size mattresses on the cherry wood bed, also had a sitting area, table, desk and window seat overlooking the changing colors of Lake Louise. Turing to each other, we said we could have been content never leaving our room, the lake view was so mesmerizing.
As we explored our fantastic room there were more surprises in store, complimentary coffee, tea, well-stocked mini bar, high-speed internet access, down comforters, and the most sumptious bathroom I've ever seen in a hotel, complete with tremendous soaking tub and two bathrobes. We were in Heaven! I took pictures of the bathroom, it was that much of an experience! Marble everything, french doors, double sink whose vanity ran the length of the room, shower massager, tons of soaps and shampoos as well as a loofah sponge!

The Restaurants:

The hotel boasts a number of different restaurants which cater to all tastes and budgets. It is highly advisable to make dinner reservations with the dining desk in the lobby to be sure you get the seating time you would like. Ask for a table next to the windows, whichever dining room you choose. The Victoria room dining experience is incredible. Wonderful food and a view from the 2nd floor overlooking the lake. The other dining rooms include, the Walliser Sube, Canadian fare and game specialties, the Lakeview Lounge, wonderful for drinks and for Afternoon Tea Service, The Glacier Saloon, a pub atmosphere, the Chateau Deli, a great place for sandwiches to take on day hikes, the Fairview Dining Room and the Poppy Brasserie. The hotel can also pack you a picnic lunch if you're planning to be out for the day. The Chateau also has an extensive in-room dining menu which is quite reasonably priced as well.

Things to do:

The hotel concierge is more than happy to assist you in any way while at Lake Louise. We explained we were only going to be there for 2 days and she suggested that we had to take the hike to the Teahouse. There are a number of hiking trails that began right in front of the hotel. The Teahouse hike is a 3.5 km hike that takes about 1 1/2 hours walking at a moderate pace. Be sure to bring water and an energy bar if you're prone to fatigue. The hike is not that difficult but there are times when you're walking at quite an incline. The view from the top is magnificent. The teahouse serves soups, sandwiches and quiche, as well as home baked goodies. They cook using no electricity so you may have to wait a little longer for your freshly ground by hand coffee to arrive but it is worth the wait!
The area also boasts tons of activities depending on your interests. Canoeing, mountain biking, fly-fishing, horseback riding, skiing and snowboarding are all available right outside of the Chateau. The Lake Louise Gondola, which is close by, transports you to the pinnacle of the mountain peaks. See Lake Louise and the surrounding area from the restaurant up at the top. Stunning vistas not to be missed.
The hotel has a wonderful fitness room, as well as indoor pool and hot tub in the spa. There is also a separate Aveda spa on premises for all your facial, massage, manicure, pedicure needs.
There is a lot to be said for spending some quiet time sitting lakeside on a boulder, watching nature at work in the beauty that is Lake Louise.

Fondest Memories:

Spending time, even one night, at the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise takes you back to a bygone era. The hallways are filled with wonderful old photos from the 1800's and early 1900's when couples arrived on their honeymoons, the women in hats, ankle boots and floor length dresses, the men adorned in their Sunday finest. A simpler time, a gentle age of beauty, wonder and simplicity. Live harp, piano and guitar performances throughout the current hotel add to our sense of beauty on all levels, in addition to the natural beauty just outside the door. The incredible atmosphere at the Chateau, causes visitors to stop, take a deep breath, and say "thank you" that amidst the chaos of the world, somewhere like this still exists for us to go.

27 Thank hiimcat
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2005

Having visited Lake Louise before I was looking forward to staying it what looks like a fabulous hotel. However when I arrived I was given a smoking room, not pleasent when I don't smoke. As I had no other option this was the room I was stuck with. Looking at the pictures you imagine a very glamourous room, well I've seen nicer rooms in many other hotels. The bed although huge took up most of the space in the room. The most disappointing thing for me was the bathroom, it was tiny, to be able to do anything you had to shut the door to move around the space was so minimal.

The only saving grace was the view, it was amazing, however I could have simply visited the Lake and not paid a small fortune to stay in the hotel.

My advise would be come visit the hotel but stay in Banff, Lake Louise has little to offer for a long stay.

• Stayed December 2004, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Mudford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2005

We spent 3 nights at this hotel recently on the 3rd floor our so called "mountain view room" looked over fir trees and nothing else certainly no mountain view. Our biggest complaint was the layers of dust in the room, not a dusting but a thick layer wipe your finger along the head board or the bedside cupboards and you could leave a message. The dust behind the bedside cupboards and the edge of the carpet was months old. We also feel it unnecessary to charge $6 for a small bottle of water when other hotels quite often leave a complimentary bottle in the fridge with their own name on. This hotel is geared for people who probably come off the Rocky Mountaineer and stay one night and do not have time to notice anything about the room. Highly overpriced Hotel and certainly didn't have any "wow" factor to this room. Before you think do these people normally check the room for dust - this is the firt time we have ever
complained but it was so grim. Our advice find somewhere cheaper.

• Stayed August 2005
11 Thank North_Lodge
Manchester, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2005

We stayed here for 2 nights of a 3 week honeymoon. I had read a number of reviews before I booked the hotel and a number of them talked about the rooms needing modifying. One review talked about the "Fairmont Gold" service on the 7th floor (Concierge level) and how outstanding it was. Although even more pricey than a standard room, if you can afford the extra money I'd highly recommend it! We paid £450 per night which is expensive but given you're paying approx £350 for a standard room I'd say it's definitely worth the extra money.

The 7th floor is like it's own little hotel. This one floor has it's own personal team of Concierge's who go out of their way to help you. Breakfast and early tea-time snacks are complimentary and the standard of the food was excellent.

We we're lucky enough to be able to have a Lakeside view which was spectacular to say the least. The room admittedly was quite small but immaculate throughout and given the beautiful sites available, we were hardly in there anwyay!

There was indeed some construction going on but I can only say from my own personal experience that this didnt affect my enjoyment one bit.

We travelled across Canada (including the Rocky Mountaineer train) as well as visiting Vegas/Grand Canyon and the Bahamas and both my wife and I agreed at the end of the honeymoon that the most spectacular and beautiful place we saw was Lake Louise. Granted you can see all this without having to stay at the Fairmont but imagine what it feels like waking up to that view in the morning! Worth every penny!

Stayed July 2005
12 Thank daccas
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2005

When we first got there, we had a standard room in the old wing. The room was tiny and was not air-conditioned. We were on the 2nd floor and all we could see from the windows was construction. We then had to complain and ended up getting a nicer room with air-conditioning. I had made dinner reservations before leaving for the trip. To my disappointment, all my dinner reservations were screwed up. Food wasn't that great. Breakfast was terrible.
The day we checked out, we waited more than 15 minutes for our car, it turned out no one was even aware that we checked out and needed our car back when we believed we had requested our car at the bell desk earlier!
I haven't been to the Fairmont in Banff but it looked like it would have been better if we stayed there. There is more to do and see in Banff than Lake Louise.
Overall I wouldn't suggest even staying a night in Lake Louise, you could see everything there in one day.

• Stayed August 2005
7 Thank McMug
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2005

We stayed at the Chateau for one night in May, 2005. We had a room on the 6th floor with a beautiful direct view of Lake Louise. The room was spacious, with 2 king size beds, a sitting area and a huge bathroom. The size of the room was more than adequate, you had plenty of space to just lounge around if you wanted. We were able to enjoy the scenes of the lake from our windows, including a beautiful sunset and sunrise. The staff at the Chateau was very accomodating and made our stay a great experience. We decided to have room service the night we were there and you could not have asked for anything better. We ordered our dinner and the staff told us the meal would be delivered in 30 minutes. Exactly 30 minutes later the food was delivered. It was high quality and delicious. It surprised us that for a hotel that size the food would be delivered as promised and also be great. The staff called our room during the evening to inquire if we needed anything before retiring. Now that is CLASS!! We were treated with respect at all times. I would stay at this hotel again in a heartbeat. The breakfast buffet should not be missed either.

• Stayed May 2005