“Lovely Four Days at the Fairmont Lake Louise”

Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Lake Louise
GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Lovely Four Days at the Fairmont Lake Louise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

My fiance and I stayed at the Fairmont for four days and thought the property and staff were very lovely. We stayed on the "Fairmont Gold" floor (the 7th floor) and had wonderful views of the lake. The complimentary breakfast and the evening cocktail reception was quite good and the breakfast in particular powered us through the days of hiking. We didn't try all of the restaurants, although the sandwiches from the Deli were pretty good and the saloon was totally mediocre. I think I had read somewhere on the reviews that the Nespresso caplets were not replaced during the stay but we didn't find that at all. Again, I think you get a little extra TLC for the Fairmont Gold but we did find the hotel staff uniformly nice.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gracemoses
FCLL, Manager at Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience!

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time in Lake Louise and that your experience on Fairmont Gold was a pleasant one. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Warmest Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,917)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

This was our second trip to the Fairmont. The first time we were on a tour of the Canadian Rockies. The second time my friends and I returned on our own for afternoon tea. The view was beautiful, the service was excellent and the food was good and beautifully presented. Our server, Corey, couldn't have been more efficient and friendly. Kaitlyn seated us and was kind enough to take photos of our group. We took our time to soak in the atmosphere, the view, and savor every bite of our lovely tea. We left with a wonderful memory of the beautiful Lake Louise!

Room Tip: Make a reservation if you are going for tea so you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank cherryames1949
Hello cherryames,

Thank you for sharing you afternoon tea experience with us! I will be sure to share your feedback with Corey, Kaitlyn and the team at The Fairview. I am glad to hear that the service and views made a strong impression throughout your visit.

Warm Regards,
Butte, Montana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

The Chateau is well established and a fixture at Lake Louise. The setting and view are spectacular and everything I thought they would be. Otherwise, this is an overpriced hotel with only fair service

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank MTnative116
Thank you for your review!

Should you wish to follow up directly with our team at the hotel please feel free to email us at chateaulakelouise@fairmont.com and a member of our team will be happy to respond.

Jersey, Channel Islands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

There is no doubt about it, the Chateau Lake Louise must have one of the best locations in the world with a view that is wonderful. We booked a Gold Package Lake view room and there were some positive aspects but some negatives too. Check in was fairly swift and the room was adequate with lots of tiny touches that made it a good 4* standard, no higher. A massive frustration is that even though you have wonderful lake views from the lake facing rooms, the window design is such that when you sit down to look at the view, all you can see is a bar across the double glazed windows. This is the same in the Club Room so it is clearly a design fault as the views are compromised by the plastic windows. A significant issue we experienced was water coming through the ceiling of the bathroom from the room above. This was at 11.30pm at night and we had three people in the room mopping up, checking the source of the leak and representing the management. As compensation, the night manager offered us a free cane ride - really!
The Club Lounge is pleasant but with no views other than over the car park. Canapes between 5pm and 7pm were very well done and there is an honesty bar if you drink alcohol - at the price per night, all drinks should be included during the two hours period. Breakfast in the Club Lounge the following morning was good with a fair selection including smoked salmon, smoothies, hot options and cold meats/cheeses etc.
On checking out, there was no indication that we had experienced a problem the previous night other than asking if any of our clothes got wet. I did suggest that as a gesture the modest charge for the drinks we had should be waived and this was agreed to.
One major problem from my perspective is the hotel doesn't know whether it wants to be exclusive or a tourist resort for bus loads of day trippers. The hotel foyer and cafeterias are simply bustling with day trippers and as a guest, paying £400 a night, it was rather irksome. Don't think you are staying at the Chateau for an exclusive experience as that is not the case, at least we didn't think so.
If you have paid and received National Park entrance tickets, my advice is to find a parking spot in the public car park a few minutes walk from the hotel and display the National Park ticket in your windscreen. Otherwise you will be charged 30 dollars for self parking and 35 dollars for valet parking per night.
In summary, the hotel is huge, caters for hoards of day trippers, is somewhat impersonal, has fabulous views of the lake if on a higher floor but needs to decide what its priorities are.
Would we stay again, simply no as for £400 a night (non refundable rate) I did not think it was worth the money. Do I regret staying one night, strangely enough no, because it was worth it for the view of Lake Louise from the 7th floor. As I headed this review, the Chateau Lake Louise is in a magical, enviable location but until it resolves some of the issues we experienced, you need to decide personally whether it is worth the pounds (dollars) that you will be parting with.

Room Tip: Unless you book a lake view room I would stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Bob1949
Good Day Bob1949,

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed review of your experience at our hotel. I do apologize for some the issues that you experienced throughout your stay. Please know that I will be sure to share your comments with our team here at the hotel.

Our teams are constantly looking for ways to improve our guest experience in the busy summer months and with detailed reviews such as yours, we are able to recognize our challenges and find solutions.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

very nice place, extra good value, excellent service, great accommodation, beautiful surroundings, food terrific, good taste, the works,huge place but you feel at ease, no bull, down to earth management

Room Tip: a view on the lake of course
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for writing a review!

I am pleased to hear that our hotel made a strong impression and we look forward to welcoming you back to Lake Louise in the future.

Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

My stay didn't start well with 3 incidents that annoyed a weary traveler but an employee stepped in to rectify the situation each time. I arrived early afternoon to a crowded loud lobby with a lot of swirling activity. I only stayed one night and noticed the same the next day. I ate at the deli and was appalled by the piles of trash sitting around and dirty tables. Someone did come eventually and clean. Hotel must know a lot of people are at deli and should work to keep area cleaner as customers and guests are there not just after the rush but some customers showed bad manners by leaving dirty trays all over. A dog wandered up and was trying to get at my food on the table. I was appalled as there was no leash or owner but learned the dog was the hotel ambassador. A very nice employee gave me a cappuccino for my trouble. I tried to ask concierge about WiFi access while I waited for my room. I was met with an obstinate employee who told me nothing was for free. I explained I wasn't asking for free WiFi just access as I would have in my room at same cost. He verified I was a guest who checked in and was waiting for a room yet proceeded to tell me I needed to buy membership to a Presidential club for WiFi as I waited for my room or I needed to give him my room number which I could not yet. Another concierge person stepped in an provided me free WiFi during my wait. I learned the next day the front desk routinely provides free WiFi to waiting guests so I am not sure about the first person I met in concierge. The wait for a room was long but the front desk gave me a coupon for a premium drink. Note there isn't free WiFi but there should be given expense of rooms but given it is only hotel on lake the hotel has a monopoly.

My room was lovely and small with the spectacular view I was expecting. I used room service twice....top notch service and food except for soup. There was simply too much hustle and bustle in the hotel and the serenity of my room with the view was an oasis.

I returned to concierge to ask the second concierge person who helped me with WiFi for advice on sights. I was warmly greeted and the enthusiastic gentleman went out of his way to tell me what the area had to offer. He was top notch. I was so impressed at how much passion he had for excellent service. Clearly the first concierge person needs some lessons in service with a smile and listening.

The beauty of the Canadian Rockies was breathtaking and is something to experience in one's lifetime. Every bit of stress left my body in seeing Peyto Lake and the majestic mountains. Trails were crowded and felt safe for a solo traveler. The trip is worth it.

The Fairmount is very expensive and they can improve their operations to handle high volume influx as that is the norm there but it was a lovely stay even with rough start. I do not recommend arriving much before check-in time and I absolutely recommend the tall enthusiastic gentleman in concierge who embodied hospitality.

Room Tip: Splurge as the rooms with lake view are an oasis. The view is spectacular.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank dctraveler6010
Hello dctraveler6010,

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback on your stay at our hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us and will be sure to share your comments with our various teams within the hotel.

I do apologize for the shortcomings you experienced throughout your stay. Know that we are constantly looking for ways to improve our guest experience in the busy summer months.

I will pass your review along to the Concierge Team as both recognition and commentary on ways to improve upon service within their department.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights , we had already stayed at other Fairmont Hotels in the region and when we booked a king ring on arrival we were up graded to a Suite with a view of the Glacier and Lake. This is a fantastic hotel, the service impeccable. The restaurants have amazing food and service.
The rooms are fabulous would love to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jjsbjd
Thank you for taking the time to write a review!

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your 3 night stay with us at The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise and that the service and restaurants were highlights of your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!