“Fairmont Lake Louise. Alberta”

Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Lake Louise
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 22, 2013

A most beautiful Hotel fronting one of the most beautiful views in the World. From the Reception right through the hotel people treated us as special.
Our room on the top floor (8th) with a view straight over the lake and mountains will remain in our memory forever. Good ensuite, lovely comfortable beds, nice linen and bath robes as well.

We dined in Lago, great Italian restaurant. Started with the antipasti experience, several courses to share, flavours amazing.

This is an experience one should have if visiting Lake Louise. A little expensive, but well worth it.

Room Tip: Worth paying the extra to have a Lake view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Collene15
FCLL, General Manager at Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Lago is our property's only seasonal restaurant, but the wait is well worth it. I'm so glad you enjoyed it and the rest of your stay!

Write a ReviewReviews (6,874)

Reviewed September 22, 2013

If all we took from this trip was the view from our room over the emerald lake towards the glacier laden mountains, it would have been worth it. The Chateau Lake Louise was so much more though. Even though we had construction going on in the rooms above us, they were very good about sticking to an 8a-5p schedule and we never noticed it (check first to get away from these areas if this would bother you).

We ate at all of the on site restaurants and never had a bad meal. Ask for window seats and if you are celebrating a special occasion, make sure they know, and they will happily accommodate.

The day hikes and day trips from this location could keep you busy for weeks. We will be regular visitors to this property!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

The view of the lake and glacier are certainly spectacular, but I'm really thrilled that the service you received was just as excellent. I look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed September 21, 2013

I stayed over the long September weekend at the Chateau Lake Louise. It was probably one of the smallest rooms I've even stayed in - especially for one of the old CP hotels. I had a Lake View room - which was amazing. The dinning experiences at the casual Glacier Saloon restaurant was great. The beef tip appetizer is to die for.

Why I rated this experience as poor is really because for $400 a night I expected far more in terms of client service. I have stayed, this year alone more than 15 days at Fairmont properties in Canada (and one in Seattle). In terms of service - Chateau Lake Louise was the worst. My experience started downhill after check in when I tried to make a reservation for dinner. The concierge looked me up and down and in a very snooty manner told me that they were all booked - so sad. No offers for other suggestions or anything. I asked her about attractions and hikes and she said, that there were lots of hikes and to "follow my nose!?" HUH? Wow. I took this in stride no less and got on with it. The piece de resistance came when I realized, after checking out AND checking in at the Fairmont's sister property in Banff -- the Banff Springs hotel, that I had left behind a GOLD necklace. It took a while to get through to the CLL lost and found and they did indeed have it (I only had to call 3 times). They then asked for my credit card so they could send it to me. For $400+ a night and a member of their loyalty program, I was floored at having to pay to send a less than 1 lb. necklace to myself. To boot, it's been 3 weeks and I've yet to receive the necklace -- what I did receive? An email from the Fairmont in my junk email box telling me that they were going to charge me $20 to send me the necklace and "did i still want it!!?" Are they joking? UN BELIEVABLE. I will never stay at the Chateau Lake Louise because of this experience - it had really put a bad taste in my mouth. Too bad - it's an amazing location.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank JCastell2414

I'm very glad you enjoyed the view from your room and your dining experience, though incredibly disappointed that the service you received did not meet our standards. I have spoken with our Chef Concierge to ensure we are providing exceptional service at all times.
The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise does not pay shipping for lost and found items; I have spoken with our Executive Housekeeper who will be reviewing this policy to make sure we are providing the best service to our guests possible.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

We recently stayed here a couple nights in the beginning of a trip to Alberta, The Chateau did not disappoint! Our lake view king room was spotless, the staff was great, the food was super. The only complaint was that the big dining room was only serving tapas on an evening we were hoping to have a nice dinner. Not sure what that was all about. Would come back and stay here for sure, for such a big hotel they make you feel like you are the only people there and wait on you hand and foot!

Room Tip: Get a lakeview room! the view alone is worth the extra $$$
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay, though I'm sorry that the menu at the Lakeview Lounge was not what you were looking for. We do offer full course meals in the Fairview Dining Room or Walliser Stube for those wishing for something a bit more substantial.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

We were lucky enough to spend several nights at Chateau Lake Louise as part of our Rockies Winter Wonderland tour. What a fabulous experience. From the incredible snow covered buildings and grounds to the frozen lake with its brilliant ice sculptures and surrounding snow covered mountains. Truly a stunning winter wonderland. Our room was spacious and well set out and we had a view across the lake to the mountains, loved the sun setting on the white peaks and the early morning skaters on the lake. Food and service in the restaurants and the cafe were excellent and all staff were friendly, attentive and helpful. Absolutely loved our stay here and look forward to returning, perhaps in the autumn to see another side of this stunning Chateau.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chantil3

Lake Louise at any time of the year is truly stunning. There's something about seeing the mountains and trees completely covered in snow, though, that continues to take my breath away. I hope we can see you again!

Reviewed September 20, 2013

We spent one night at Chateau Lake Louise because of being bumped from Banff. Can't say it was a bad move because we were put in a one bedroom suite viewing Lake Louise and the Victoria Glacier, our night and parking was comped because of the transfer so definitely did not complain. We did have a beautiful hotel, room and ordered breakfast by room service. It was prompt, tasty and hot. For dinner we ate at Bill Peytos a nice little restaurant by the hostel. Food is good, reasonable and no problems there. Had an enjoyable day at Lake Louise and then continued on to Banff for 2 nights.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jayOntario
FCLL, General Manager at Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

While I am sorry your first night was not in the originally planned location, I'm thrilled you were able to enxperience Lake Louise and that we were able to offer an upgrade. I hope we can see you again!

Reviewed September 20, 2013

My parents had stayed here years ago on a world tour and raved about the place, so we had to try it. If you're staying in the Lake Louise area, then there really is only one place to stay and that is the Chateau, but of course Fairmont know this and the prices reflect it. We stayed here for 1 night on a 3 1/2 week trip.

Arrival 4/5 - the hotel is well signed from H1. Check in was swift and efficient. There is a 30 CAD per night fee for using the multi story car park. You need to check in before you use the car park - your room key gives you access. The lobby is large and grand, as befits a classic hotel.

Room 3/5 - on advice from a previous employee at the Chateau that we met in Banff, we had booked a lake view and wow was it worth it. The view is simply stunning. The view just doesn't look real. We had room 571 on the 5th floor. I just kept looking out of the window and marveling at the view - it's jaw dropping. The room was quite small but they still managed to squeeze in a king bed, fridge, Keurig coffee machine, iron/board, table and chair and two large bedside cabinets. Plenty of storage space. Very comfy bed with quality linen and pillows. The room was very warm, despite the room thermostat being on 12C!!, so we needed the window open all night and the fan going. We had an awful nights sleep and I was not looking forward to a 5 hour drive to Kamloops. The view in the morning was even better as the sun shone on the glacier.

Bathroom 4/5 - smallish but with everything you needed. Small bath with shower above. Good quality towels and toiletries. A nice touch was the night light - we always use one when we're traveling - stops you stumbling into things in the night!!

Location 5/5 - WOW and even more WOW. I'd like to give it more than 5 if I could. This must be one of the most beautiful hotel window views on the planet. We were lucky that the weather was nice and sunny. Not sure it would be so nice in the rain, but I bet it's great in winter too.

Food 4/5 - we had an early dinner in the late afternoon sunshine on the patio of the Glacier Salon. Quite slow service, but it was busy and we enjoyed a pitcher of ale in the sunshine. The food was fine, but the setting is again the real star.

Other 4/5 - we enjoyed a lovely wall along the lakes edge in the afternoon sunshine. The views in all directions are superb. The hotel has lots of amenities - lots of shops and a wide choice of places to eat at the hotel. We did not use the spa or pool. I'm sure there's more. Lots of tours stay here, so the public rooms, lifts etc can seem busy at times.

Value 3/5 - we paid £335 for one night for a lake view room with no breakfast and no free wifi plus 30 CAD to park. Crazy prices really, but this is a special place and the location is world class. Pay the extra if you can afford it for a lake view room - you will not regret it. You might never return here, so dig deep into your pocket.

Overall 4/5 - I've marked it down a little, as you have to pay extra for parking, pay extra for breakfast, there's no free wifi and no aircon in our room. On check out, I complained about the hot room. They said the main building was old and not air conditioned (fair enough) and that I should have been told this on check in - well I wasn't. They apologised and cancelled the 30 CAD parking charge.

You are paying for the location and you just have to grin and bear it. But wow what a location. Even without the view, this is a nice hotel with good facilities and fine staff. You'll travel a long way to better it. I hope I live long enough to see it again - just hope I get a better price!!

Room Tip: A lake view is a must. Even if you can't afford it - pay the extra.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank NeilandBarbara

I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay, though I'm sorry that your sleep was so disturbed by the heat. We are working with our owners to have air conditioning installed in all guest rooms.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lake Louise
#3 of 10 in Lake Louise
Moraine Lake Lodge
Moraine Lake Lodge
#2 of 10 in Lake Louise

Been to Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise? Share your experiences!