“Cold showers and uncomfortable beds”

Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Lake Louise
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I was expecting a lot more for the amount they charge for the room. After a day of skiing all I wanted was a hot shower. I didnt think that would be too much to ask especially since I was staying at the Fairmont. Every time I would turn on the shower it was always cold.
The beds are so uncomfortable. We couldn't sleep all night and ended up checking out early in the morning to just get some sleep at home.
The view and area are spectacular but there's a huge price to pay and I'm still no sure if its worth it.

• Stayed: February 2013
4  Thank SPR8
There are newer reviews for Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise

Reviewed February 22, 2013

The Chateau is not cheap, but is worth every penny. Service from all staff is first class. The rooms are spacious and a room with a view of the lake is worth the extra money. There is a wide choice of restaurants and a free shuttle bus service every 20 mins to Lake Louise Ski Resort. There is also a better choice of shops that in the nearby Samson Mall.

The Mountain Heritage Programme is excellent. There is a wide choice of activities other than ski-ing and the guides are extremely knowledgeable.

I stayed on the Gold Floor. This was worth the extra cost as included in the private lounge is a huge buffet breakfast (with eggs cooked to order); snacks and tea and coffee available all day, evening hot snacks and an honour bar. The Gold Floor staff are happy to book trips and simply to talk about the area.

I cannot wait for my next visit!

Room Tip: Lake view is essential and Gold Floor well worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank AitchHW
FCLL, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Thank you so much for your review! I'm so pleased to hear that the service you experienced not only on Fairmont Gold but thoughout the rest of the hotel was so exceptional. I've shared your comments with our team. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed February 21, 2013

After staying a few nights at Banff Springs, we drove for a one night day at lake louise. The drive was about an hour and were greated at the gates. The Banff springs is a nicer looking hotel from the outside but the prefer the look inside and the view of the mountains at lake loiuse. I was there over the weekend and there were a lot of families, too many children for my liking. Ice skating was fun and had a beatiful ice sculpture throught the center of the rink. There is a small fire to keep warm and a hocky rink to the side. The property has several impressive ice scuptures on display. Stop in the ice bar for specialty coffee or some ice wine. There are nice trails for hiking/cross country skiing. Rentals are within the hotel.
About an hour walk across the frozen lake, there is a stunning view of frozen water casading down the mountain. We ran out of time but I wanted to keep hikng to the famous tea house.
I had a quick bite to eat in bar/louge area and it was great. I also had a wonderful dinner at one of the fine dining restaurants.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank duckworths5
Reviewed February 21, 2013

My husband and I traveled down the Icefields Parkway from Edmonton to Calgary. One of our overnight stops along the way was Chateau Lake Louise. We absolutely loved it, if you can afford the splurge, it is worth it.

The hotel is standard Fairmount, elegant and graceful. We upgraded to a room with a view and although the window was small, the view with picture perfect of Lake Louise. The room is a decent size and the beds are comfortable.

We dropped our bags and went exploring, the next 24 hrs consisted of several walks around the lake and a short hike up to the lookout point. Next time we come back we would plan to stay longer and do some of the longer hikes.

We had dinner at Lago – the Italian restaurant and enjoyed it, we found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The next day we had lunch in the lounge overlooking the lake, it was very memorable especially considering it was Father’s Day.

This is one of my favourite places now and I would love to come back and stay longer next time!

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view of the lake, it is worth it.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TravelonJo
FCLL, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Thank you so much for posting your review. There are so many things to see and do in the area - dining not the least of them. Lago is our only seasonal restaruant and is one of my favourites. We hope to see you again, fo longer next time!

Reviewed February 20, 2013

my husband and I were married at the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise (reception too). It is an amazing hotel. We married in September of 2007 and moved to Calgary from New York in January of 2011 because we wanted to live in the beauty of the Canadian Rockies. We visit often and try to stay at least once a year. We honeymooned at the Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge and also spent a week at the Fairmont Banff Springs. All three fairmont hotels are amazing in amazing locations! location location location!

Room Tip: great to have lake view room but even if it is a parking lot room - you just need to go to the loung...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank vaca123tions
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I have just returned from a visit to the Fairmount Chateau Lake Louise with my 21year old daughter and 4year old that lives with us. We booked the Fairmount gold room which is truly the only way to go. This spacious two queen bed room was lovely. The bathroom is huge with a seperate shower and tub. The service on the 7 th floor was outstanding and the private lounge was never busy. There are complimentary soft drinks, tea, coffee and snacks. There is a very well stocked honour bar and complimentary DVDs and games available. The included hot breakfast was very tasty and fresh.
The rooms are spotless and our request for an early checkin (12:30 pm) was cheerfully accommodated. It is a real treat to visit lake Louise this time of year to see the ice sculptures and skate on the lake.
The only negative I would comment on would be the pool/ hot tub. They really are not up to standard of this lovely hotel. We have stayed at the Banff springs and they have numerous hot tubs and an amazing year round outside pool. The change rooms at this hotel are tiny with one toliet and only two showers.
It is not inexpensive to stay but with all the included extras on the gold level it really does save on drink and snacks. Children under 5 eat free in the restaurants and there is a 30%discount for Alberta residents That isn't very well advertised.
I think this is a very special resort that set in a stunning location that everyone should try to visit!
It is not inexpensive to stay but the extra

Room Tip: Fair mount gold on the 7 th floor is well worth the extra charge. I wouldn't pay extra for the l...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank mcmCalgary

Fairmont Gold truly is a hotel within a hotel and I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay so much. The private Fairmont Gold Concierge team are exceptional.
I have shared your comments concerning the pool area with our Executive team, who will be reviewing the area for future renovation plans.
We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Lived in Alberta and never in my life ever went up to the Fairmont Hotel. Arrived and greetings of happy employees willing to help. Fast check in and up into the room that looked over the lake; where you see little fire pit and skating and cross country sking. That was a small part on how this hotel brings the total experience of the mountains to you. After a walk about, :0 ) listening to a harp player( string type) for my red neck fans.
Well after hearing all about the Swiss part of the hotel serving fodue I had to have the experience. Well! everyone else had the same wonderful idea and it was full. So I know how much the concierge is to help in any way possible. I went there with smile and begged! She was so helpful and pleasant that I wanted to join her team. To Management, she if possible needs a pat on the back for a outstanding job she does for you. It was to die for as the best fondue ever. So please treat yourself.

Room Tip: The staff are outstanding
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
HI Lake Louise Alpine Centre
HI Lake Louise Alpine Centre
#5 of 10 in Lake Louise
Emerald Lake Lodge

Been to Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise? Share your experiences!