“Beautiful, but disappointing service and noisy”
Review of Moraine Lake Lodge

Moraine Lake Lodge
Miami, Florida
“Beautiful, but disappointing service and noisy”
Reviewed July 23, 2009

Recently, I traveled with my husband, his parents and my sister-in-law to Canada for 10 days. We stayed at the Moraine Lake Lodge at the end of our trip for 3 nights. This hotel was to be our "splurge" place as it was quite pricey. I have no problem paying a lot of money for a hotel, but I just expect high quality service for the price. We had two separate rooms booked. Check-in was fine and the rooms were quite lovely with beautiful views of the Lake, which is quite spectacular. We understood that crowds came early in the morning and did not leave until early in the evening (or later) and were expecting that. So, that did not bother us. My husband and I had a room outside of the main lodge. The first night we were there, we heard an incessant banging (soft, but there) every 30 minutes or so. It sounded like metal on a pipe. I thus did not sleep very well. When we spoke to my in-laws, they had an issue with their bathroom door closing (it wouldn't). This may sound minor, but when there are three of you sharing a room, it can become an issue. When they spoke with the front desk, the lady told them that they were aware of the problem and would send somebody to take another look. Somebody did come and look at their door, but basically told them there was nothing they could do. Now, back to the pipe. I hate to complain at hotels and bore it one more night, hoping it would go away. Finally, afte the second night, my husband could not take me not getting enough sleep (I also was - and am - pregnant) and spoke with the front desk. The front desk lady told my husband that there was nothing she could do, and that she would have to wait until her manager got there. I know this sounds little, but I just feel that at a nice expensive hotel, the staff should be better trained to speak with the guests. Eventually, we got a different room for the night with apologizes from a manager, but when my husband went to get the new room keys, the woman looked at him like he was stupid until the manager came out and cleared it up.

My other complaint is that although I think it is very nice that they have no telephones and televisions in the room (my husband did not love the no tvs thing) and that none of your cell phones will work there (trust me, they won't), if the hotel is going to completely cut you off from the outside world, they should ensure that they give you any phone messages you receive. We had some other family staying at the Chateau Lodge at Lake Louise at the same time we were there. We wanted to try to meet up with them for dinner and had left a message for them (when we were outside of the hotel and had cell service), telling them if they wanted to get together one night to just please call the hotel and tell them the time and place of the restaurant so we could meet them. That day, we hadn't heard from them (so we thought), and figured they did not want to get together. At some point, my mother-in-law went and used the hotel phone to try one more time to call our other relatives. Upon speaking with them, they said that they had left a message several hours ago with the front desk saying the name of the restaurant and 630 as the time. By this point it was after 4 and several of us were out hiking around the Lake. My mother-in-law went to the desk and asked them if they had any messages for her. They said no. She said you don't have anything about going to the Railway Station for dinner tonight for me. The front desk person looked again and said, oh yes, "our last name" at 630 at the railway to meet (our relatives name) is right here. My mother-in-law asked them if they thought it would be helpful if we had the message. Needless to say for such a high priced beautiful spot, I was not impressed with the service at all. Especially when there are other high priced nice hotels right around there that I will most certainly try next time (like the Post and the Chateau Lake Louise). The staff all seemed to be college kids on their summer breaks who had not been properly trained. I just expected better.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank angie525

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
bedfordshire
Reviewed July 21, 2009

Stayed at lodge for 2 nights 20, 21st July. Were really looking forward to the stay and we were not disappointed. ( apart from the dull weather and cool temps) If the weather had been good it would been heavenly. TheStaff were very welcoming and the did everything to make our stay wonderful. We had a cabin overlooking the lake with a log burning stove which we made good use of. The complimentary afternoon tea and the naturalist talks were an added bonus. The lake is truely the beautiful turquoise. We took advantage of the canoes but were only able to do the lake walk because of the poor weather. Hotel food good if a little pricey.Agreed with a previous reviewer that the hoards of tourists coild be a problem. it was a wonderful place to stay for a relaxing few days in a busy holiday travelling around western Canada.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 18, 2009

The deluxe cabins were sold out, but this was not to be a problem as we stayed in the Lodge Suite. This ended up not being a sacrifice at all. The room was very lovely with our own balcony overlooking the most beautiful lake in the world. We had double sinks, separate tub and shower, soaring ceilings with beautiful wood beams, and great lighting and plenty of space. The service was impeccable from the time we arrived until we left. My wife agrees with one of the previous reviews that the gift shop is one of the best in the Canadian Rockies for both price and selection.

In terms of value it was our most expensive lodging on our 10 day trip and worth every penny. This is particularly true when a similar sized room with a lake view over at the Fairmont Lake Louise would be nearly twice as expensive. The canoe availability was an added bonus as far as I am concerned, and one that you should not miss. This was particularly true for us as the Rock pile / Consolation lakes trails were closed due to construction, so the only way to see the view from that side of the lake was by canoe!

One note: if you don't get the breakfast included with your room, I would recommend going elsewhere or just getting a pastry from the cafe downstairs as the dining room breakfast is a little expensive for what you get.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 2blue
naples florida
Reviewed July 11, 2009

Moraine Lake is an absolutely gorgeous spot and makes it worth staying at the Lodge. Pros: Moraine Lake, hiking trails (and guide), naturalist presentation at night, tea time, friendly and enthusiastic employees, fireplace,deluxe cabins,canoeing,view from the dining room.
Cons: Hoardes of day-trippers looking up into your room, breakfast buffet for $15 that is no better than a free one at a chain motel(at least offer oatmeal), small rooms,untrained employees(dirty glasses not removed from room, towels not replaced), average food at dinner.
Caution--if you want a clear view of the magnificent lake ask for Cabins 17 or 18. Cabins 13 and 14 had views highly obscured by the trees which was very disappointing. My friend in Room 20 in the Wenkchemma wing had a much better view than from my cabin but the room was quite small. As a hotel its overpriced---but then you do get Moraine Lake. Makes up for everything else.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
San Francisco
Reviewed July 11, 2009

From 06/29 to 07/02, our family has stayed at Moraine Lake Lodge for 4 nights. Initially what we have booked is the "Two National Parks - One Rate" package. However, when we stayed at Cathedral Mountain Lodge, we found a mouse at our companion. I made a quick decision to request moving back to Moraine Lake Lodge. Here are a summary of my likes and dislikes:

Likes:
* Nice location (easy access to beautiful trails, Moraine Lake, and Lake Louise)
* Beautiful scenery (lifetime experience)

Dislikes:
* Due to global warming, all lake-side lodges have been infested with mosquitoes.
Note that we have stayed in 7 national parks in our 2-week vacation. So, I can
testify that. One ranger told me that they have an unusual long raining season in
June near Grand Teton NP. So it brings mosquito problem.
* Rats. Don't stay in Cathedral Mountain Lodge. It's rustic and remote. Meal in the
dinning room is poor and expensive and not many people choose to eat there
anyway. Most importantly, it also infested with rats.
* Management overcharged us (look out for your billing items). Anyway I let it go by
because we got to live in Moraine Lake Lodge for 4 nights which my wife really
enjoyed it even by staying inside the cabin.
* The dinner staff was not friendly when we came to dinner one night. Even with table
available, she still kept us waiting for another 1/2 hour. When I returned before the
requested time, the table was still availalbe. However, staffs took no actions to set
the table up. So, we decided to walk away to eat some where else.

Moraine Lake Lodge doesn't have a physical address. So, call them to get directions
before your first visit. On the way out of Lake Louise, we have stopped by "Baker
Creek Chalets" for restroom. We found its location is close to Maraine Lake and
Lake Louise and it's less expensive. Maybe we'll choose it in our future trips. Note
that all the scenery, trails, canoeing activities can be enjoyed without staying in
Moraine Lake Lodge.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Dayton, OH
Reviewed July 5, 2009

Took my bride here for the first leg of our honeymoon. Trust me, I don't dote on many hotels/lodges. In fact, I think Lake Moraine Lodge would probably receive the only 5 star rating from me of any place we have stayed together. I purchased the "Romance in the Rockies" package which isn't exactly cheap, but WELL WORTH IT!

Here is how Lake Moraine Lodge was awesome to us: The first night we flew into Calgary late and knew we'd make it to Lake Moraine Lodge late. I believe check in was to be before midnight. We arrived at 12:30 and the Inn-keeper waited up just for us. He showed us right to our cabin (which had champagne, and a fireplace of paper, kindling, and logs just waiting for us to use). We woke up the next morning, opened the shade and lost our breath. The view is so beautiful it truly is priceless. You honestly will not find a more beautiful spot in all the Rockies. You'll think I'm over-reacting until you see it for yourself. You'll agree - I guarantee it. Next we walked to the main lodge for a spectacular breakfast. Later that night we had a dinner that would SERIOUSLY rival ANY 5-star restaurant. All the while the staff were polite and downright friendly. I dare say we may have even made a few personal friends among the staff (believe it or not, we'll be writing a letter to them). Cheryl was an excellent hiking guide and took us on an exhilarating hike, and the girls in the gift shop and cafe were hilarious to talk to and crazy helpful.

Here are also some things that the traveler should note: There are tour groups that travel to Lake Moraine however they are for the most part removed from the lodge and the cabin area. The cabins are spacious and cozy and contain NO TV, NO INTERNET, NO TELEPHONE, and NO CELL PHONE SERVICE and ITS PERFECT THAT WAY. This being said, I'm not sure this would be the perfect spot if I brought children. This is beyond the perfect spot for you and your wife/hubby to rediscover each other and the surrounding natural beauty. I can't say I'm super well traveled but I seem to get around and I would say Lake Moraine Lodge would be #1 on my list of favorite lodges/hotels in the world. (Not kidding)

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wagslick
Dallas, TX
Reviewed July 5, 2009

We booked the "Romance Package in the Rockies," and the hotel manager and his team went out of their way to ensure we had an exceptional experience. We had a Deluxe King Cabin, which overlooked the lake, and a bottle of chilled champagne was waiting for us to toast the view when we arrived. We enjoyed the wood-burning fireplace every night, and had one of the best meals my husband and I have ever had at the Lodge's restaurant. We enjoyed the interpretative hike, which took us to Larch valley which provided us a magnificent view of the 10 peaks being powdered by some light snow. The lodge is perfectly located to enjoy the various hikes and wildlife viewing opportunities in the area - we saw moose, caribou, mountain goats, chipmunks, etc. The staff was extremely helpful, and we highly recommend the lodge.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple