“Likes and dislikes” 3 of 5 stars

Moraine Lake Lodge
San Francisco
“Likes and dislikes”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

From 06/29 to 07/02, our family has stayed at Moraine Lake Lodge for 4 nights. Initially what we have booked is the "Two National Parks - One Rate" package. However, when we stayed at Cathedral Mountain Lodge, we found a mouse at our companion. I made a quick decision to request moving back to Moraine Lake Lodge. Here are a summary of my likes and dislikes:

Likes:
* Nice location (easy access to beautiful trails, Moraine Lake, and Lake Louise)
* Beautiful scenery (lifetime experience)

Dislikes:
* Due to global warming, all lake-side lodges have been infested with mosquitoes.
Note that we have stayed in 7 national parks in our 2-week vacation. So, I can
testify that. One ranger told me that they have an unusual long raining season in
June near Grand Teton NP. So it brings mosquito problem.
* Rats. Don't stay in Cathedral Mountain Lodge. It's rustic and remote. Meal in the
dinning room is poor and expensive and not many people choose to eat there
anyway. Most importantly, it also infested with rats.
* Management overcharged us (look out for your billing items). Anyway I let it go by
because we got to live in Moraine Lake Lodge for 4 nights which my wife really
enjoyed it even by staying inside the cabin.
* The dinner staff was not friendly when we came to dinner one night. Even with table
available, she still kept us waiting for another 1/2 hour. When I returned before the
requested time, the table was still availalbe. However, staffs took no actions to set
the table up. So, we decided to walk away to eat some where else.

Moraine Lake Lodge doesn't have a physical address. So, call them to get directions
before your first visit. On the way out of Lake Louise, we have stopped by "Baker
Creek Chalets" for restroom. We found its location is close to Maraine Lake and
Lake Louise and it's less expensive. Maybe we'll choose it in our future trips. Note
that all the scenery, trails, canoeing activities can be enjoyed without staying in
Moraine Lake Lodge.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Dayton, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

Took my bride here for the first leg of our honeymoon. Trust me, I don't dote on many hotels/lodges. In fact, I think Lake Moraine Lodge would probably receive the only 5 star rating from me of any place we have stayed together. I purchased the "Romance in the Rockies" package which isn't exactly cheap, but WELL WORTH IT!

Here is how Lake Moraine Lodge was awesome to us: The first night we flew into Calgary late and knew we'd make it to Lake Moraine Lodge late. I believe check in was to be before midnight. We arrived at 12:30 and the Inn-keeper waited up just for us. He showed us right to our cabin (which had champagne, and a fireplace of paper, kindling, and logs just waiting for us to use). We woke up the next morning, opened the shade and lost our breath. The view is so beautiful it truly is priceless. You honestly will not find a more beautiful spot in all the Rockies. You'll think I'm over-reacting until you see it for yourself. You'll agree - I guarantee it. Next we walked to the main lodge for a spectacular breakfast. Later that night we had a dinner that would SERIOUSLY rival ANY 5-star restaurant. All the while the staff were polite and downright friendly. I dare say we may have even made a few personal friends among the staff (believe it or not, we'll be writing a letter to them). Cheryl was an excellent hiking guide and took us on an exhilarating hike, and the girls in the gift shop and cafe were hilarious to talk to and crazy helpful.

Here are also some things that the traveler should note: There are tour groups that travel to Lake Moraine however they are for the most part removed from the lodge and the cabin area. The cabins are spacious and cozy and contain NO TV, NO INTERNET, NO TELEPHONE, and NO CELL PHONE SERVICE and ITS PERFECT THAT WAY. This being said, I'm not sure this would be the perfect spot if I brought children. This is beyond the perfect spot for you and your wife/hubby to rediscover each other and the surrounding natural beauty. I can't say I'm super well traveled but I seem to get around and I would say Lake Moraine Lodge would be #1 on my list of favorite lodges/hotels in the world. (Not kidding)

1 Thank Wagslick
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

We booked the "Romance Package in the Rockies," and the hotel manager and his team went out of their way to ensure we had an exceptional experience. We had a Deluxe King Cabin, which overlooked the lake, and a bottle of chilled champagne was waiting for us to toast the view when we arrived. We enjoyed the wood-burning fireplace every night, and had one of the best meals my husband and I have ever had at the Lodge's restaurant. We enjoyed the interpretative hike, which took us to Larch valley which provided us a magnificent view of the 10 peaks being powdered by some light snow. The lodge is perfectly located to enjoy the various hikes and wildlife viewing opportunities in the area - we saw moose, caribou, mountain goats, chipmunks, etc. The staff was extremely helpful, and we highly recommend the lodge.

1 Thank LifetimeAdventurer
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

I read a lot of reviews about this lodge and was worried about the price and crowds. However, the room was spectacular, the crowds minimal (we were there at the beginning of the season), the view unparalleled, the service extremely friendly and helpful, and the food sensational. My wife and I spent the majority of our honeymoon at the lodge and hiked, canoed, and lounged to our hearts' content. The only part we were disappointed by was the breakfast. Not very interesting. We both loved every moment and wanted to stay longer.

1 Thank hiketexas
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2009

We found this place through Luxurylink.com and got a special deal on a cabin. it's a drive to get there (an only open seasonally) but well worth it! It was well maintained, quiet and very nice. The rooms were updated, clean and large enough for our comfort (loved the little fireplace area next to the large window overlooking the lake!!) the walk to the resturant and store were short which was nice. They have a "sitting room" too with a fireplace and also offer guided walks. The restaurant was OK. B'fast was good but dinner was so-so. We liked the restaurants in town better. They have a great store with all kinds of fun wintery stuff to buy! The Lake itself is awesome - one of the most beautiful sites I've ever seen. I went out early in the morning around 7ish and had some quiet time to myself - no on else around. Just me, God and the mountains! an amazing experience - I was in awe! The fog over the lake in early morning eventually rises to the mountaintops and exposes the snow caps. There is a water inlet at one end which we canoed over to and looked at - very cool. You can walk half-way around the lake too...canoes are free to guests of the Lodge. Plan your day trips between 9 and 4 - that's when all the tourists show up at Moraine Lake. Save your time at the Lake for early monring or late afternoon/evening. Be careful driving out there - lots of BIG deer! WE also went to visit the Fairmont at Lake Louise for dinner one night (the steak restaurant - fantastic food and service!) and a bit o'window shopping. I would definitely go back to this place! (It doesn't have a pool or hot tub but we really didn't miss it...)

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2009

My second stop on a two week tour of Alberta & BC with Canadian friends. We arrived at the Lodge mid-morning having caught the overnight Greyhound from Edmonton, and took a taxi from Lake Louise up to the Lodge (think there used to be a shuttle bus that did the run, but this had apparently been discontinued).

We were all a little bleary eyed from the journey and I was still on UK time but we soon perked up with our first glimpse of Moraine Lake and the Lodge. We were still a little early to check in to our room (deluxe king cabin) so we did the paperwork and took a seat by the lake to admire the view. By mid-day we were getting a bit hungry and because my companions were vegan they had brought some snacks with them, which the lodge staff very kindly let them heat in their staff microwave. A good indicator of just how helpful the staff at the lodge turned out to be. After eating our snacks (and getting lots of interest from the ground squirrels) we went for a scramble up the rock-pile to admire the magnificent views and a then took one of the complimentary canoes out for a spin round the lake. When we returned to the Lodge our cabin was ready to move into, and we nearly fell over when we saw the wonderful view from the picture window. Very spacious and nicely furnished with a little balcony with a couple of chairs and very nice bathroom (liked the red tiles). Then while a two of us settled down for a rest one friend had to finish an essay for his masters later that week, and again the lodge staff came to the rescue by letting him use the pc in their office for as long as he needed. We had booked dinner in the lodge restaurant for the evening and had given the staff advance notice that two of our party were vegan, so again they accommodated for that and prepared a vegan option (starter, main and dessert) for them. Really impressed. After a very nice meal we retired back to the cabin with some beers we purchased from the bar. The next morning my body clock was still out of kilter so I was up at 7am for breakfast (very nice buffet style with fresh fruit, muffins, bagels etc) while my friends caught up on their sleep, but again the staff were happy for me to bring them a selection from the buffet on a plate back to the cabin. Later that morning we headed off for our hike on the the Sentinel Path trail, armed with a ‘bear scare hooter’ and some spray, leant to us by the lodge. After a whole day up it was nice to return to the cabin and the balcony and relax for a while, before dinner again in the restaurant. We booked a taxi via reception for early the next morning (6am) and it was ready right on time, and even took us via Chateaux Lake Louise so we could have an early morning view of there before the crowds arrived. Magnificent views and a perfect setting, but the staff really makes the place special. Hope to return again one day.

• Liked — Great views and wonderful staff
  • Disliked — having to leave!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank kbhr
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2008

My husband and I took a 3 week road trip around the Pacific Northwest and this was the hotel we planned on splurging on (mid-summer rates are astronomical!). We stayed in a Deluxe cabin room with a front row view of the lake. Our stay was for 3 nights and loved, loved, loved this place. The staff was super friendly with the GM of the hotel giving us a tour of the hotel during check in. They walk you to your room and give you all of the pertinent information on your tour. The room included free continental breakfast and food at tea time, and free canoeing, which, at $40 an hour for non-hotel guests, leads to some serious savings. Plus, they had an evening naturalist presentation every few nights and, since the rooms don't have any TV, it is a pleasant diversion. I loved the sitting area with the fire place in the room, the bed was comfy, and the bathroom quaint. This hotel is out of the way at the top of a twisty road but the surroundings are so surreal and beautiful. Worth the splurge.

• Liked — Location, location, location.
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Paradise Lodge & Bungalows
Paradise Lodge & Bungalows
#1 of 10 in Lake Louise
4.5 of 5 stars 650 reviews

Been to Moraine Lake Lodge? Share your experiences!