“Simple and Rustic!”
Review of Deer Lodge

Deer Lodge
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Lake Louise
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Simple and rustic, yet cosy and comfortable! I was booked in a heritage room with a balcony and had a view onto the woods. Located in a wilderness setting just a few minutes from the lovely Lake Louise. It is an old hotel and has e.g. no TV in the room, but I would say a super way of getting away from modern technology for a while. The room was clean and big enough for two people. It had a coffee bar which was great to have. The bathroom was neat and tidy with crisp, clean white towels and soaps and shampoo to use. The hotel features a restaurant,lounge (with open fire place), outdoor hot tub sauna and games room. Between 7-11am free coffee is served in one of the lounges. Although the passages are a bit dark,this is part of the charm of the hotel. The view over the mountains from the breakfast room is magnificent! The staff were helpful and friendly .I would return to The Deer Lodge as I found it comfortable and close to Lake Louise. At the lake there are boat rentals and hiking trails in the forest. At the end of the trail is an observation deck with a stunning view over the lake and mountains. Here you'll find yourself close to nature.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have a lovely view!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
CRMRManagment, General Manager at Deer Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful feedback on your recent stay at Deer Lodge. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay in our overnight accommodations. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future!

Reviewed August 30, 2013

This was a special day for our party of 4. It was my birthday and the 25th Wedding Anniversary of our travelling companions. We arrived full of hope but were badly let down. We were given keys to our room and before taking luggage up the stairs (no lift!) we decided to have a drink in the lounge which was lovely with a huge real fire. Whilst there, the Receptionist came full of apologies saying she had given my husband the wrong key. Made a swap.

Eventually hauled our luggage up the stairs to our rooms (next door to each other). Our room was right by the stairs - very noisy. EXTREMELY small - not even enough room to put the suitcase on a chair! The bathroom door was hanging from its hinges and the safe was broken. The bathroom itself was minute. The window in the bedroom wouldn't close properly and was situated right by the head of my bed. They sent a guy up to take a look at all the problems but he didn't really seem very interested. Our friends room was identical in size. The room opposite (our original key) appeared to have a balcony and was much larger.

We all decided to make the best of it and had a slap up (very over priced) dinner in the hotel as it was a special day.

Receptionist gave my husband a 50% discount the next day but my friends are still sorely disappointed.

Regrettably I cannot recommend this hotel based on our stay.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a decent room - there must be some in the hotel.
1  Thank Sally H
Reviewed August 29, 2013

The Deer Lodge is old. That is part of the charm, but like other park hotels of the era, it is dark and has lots of character. Some may find it less desirable than say, The Fairmont, but you are not paying $500 a night. The superior rooms are actually large and while they still do not have a modern feel, they are clean and comfortable, although the beds seem to be doubles rather than queens. Not fancy, but you are closer to nature.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We stayed here in mid-June, just before the prime tourist season starts. Deer Lodge is not a fancy new hotel with all the latest gadgets and amenities, but a lovely getaway from a the technology heavy day to day.
We had a superior room on the third floor. It was more than big enough for the two of us with plenty of floor space. The bathroom may be tiny, but it is functional. There is no tv, but if you can't step away from that for a weekend and spend the time doing something without technology, or (gasp!) visiting with the people you are with, this is not the place for you. There is free-wifi so you can use the internet if you must. We heard the other guests to the same degree as in any other hotel we have stayed in.
The staff was helpful to us and unobtrusive.
The location is great as it is down the road from the larger and busier (and tourist filled) Fairmont property. It is an easy walk to the lake and nice and peaceful.
Go and enjoy the rooftop hot tub with an excellent view of the mountains and visit with the fellow guests. The hot tub by far was one of the loveliest things about our weekend getaway.

1  Thank LB1982
Reviewed August 28, 2013

What a disappointment. The room was very small and the bed, was only 120 cm; for two persons! We thought they had made a mistake and given us a single room, but unfortunately not. The bathroom was very small and had no ventilation. But the worst thing: we could hear every footstep and every word of our neighbours next door, including snoring. We paid almost 150 euro's a night. Far too much. On the positive side: the shower was warm (good water pressure) and the front desk agents were helpful.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2013

This hotel was a little oasis on a road trip in Canada. Having seen the reviews on Trip Advisor about the size of the rooms, we decided to upgrade to one of the larger, superior rooms and I'm really glad we did. When some of the regular rooms were being cleaned as we were walking through the hotel I glanced through the open doors and they looked very small in comparison.
The room we stayed in had two double beds and a balcony - it was clean, comfortable and quiet.
This hotel is not a super modern, light, bright airy place (like the more expensive Chateau down the road). It is a little rickety and dark and if you're staying on one of the higher floors, be prepared to lug your suitcase up the stairs - we chose to do this ourselves, however the staff are very helpful and friendly and I'm sure would offer some assistance. However, it does have a lot of charm and I loved not having a TV in the room. It rained on one of the nights we stayed and was cool outside, so sitting in the lounge with a beer next to the fire was a lovely way to spend an evening, especially after a tiring day out and about hiking.
The other great thing about this hotel is that Lake Louise is just a short walk away and Moraine Lake a short drive away, so it's in a great location.
The food is very good - we had an evening meal and breakfast. The evening meal was delicious (if a little expensive) and the portion size was good. The breakfast is also good and quite reasonably priced.
I really enjoyed my stay at the Deer Lodge and its charm, I would be very happy to stay here again (but only in one of the larger rooms!).

Room Tip: Book a larger, superior room as the regular rooms are very small.
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Our stay at the hotel was very much marred by an incident which I believe could have been prevented with adequate warning signs. I was walking quickly, but not abnormally so, across the 'Lady Agnes' room when I fell heavily on my face - so much so that at first I feared that I'd broken my nose and lost my dental crowns. I sustained cuts and grazes to my nose and lips, and also hurt my shoulder. I realised that there was a step in the middle of the room. The staff on duty that evening, Eva Rochette and server, John, were very kind and did their best to help me. We found out later that this was not the first incident involving this step, and next morning we witnessed another guest almost fall over it. We learned that the attitude of the hotel Management seemed to be that, far from putting warning signs in place, or a temporary fix - such as a plank to act as a ramp - they would leave it as it is, until fitting the handrail they had been planning to install for some time; otherwise they would be admitting liability. I was relieved not to have sustained any permanent damage, in particular that my newly replaced dental crowns were intact, so played down the incident, managing to eat my entree, with difficulty. My husband had consumed his main coures alone while I was receiving first-aid, at the time not knowing the degree of my injuries or what the consequences would be. However, I'm afraid it left a bitter taste in my mouth, when checking our paperwork, to see that, ironically, our dinner there was by far the most expensive of all our evening meals throughout our 3-week long holiday, with us paying a full charge as if nothing had gone wrong.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sandra R
CRMRManagment, General Manager at Deer Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Thank you for providing us with your comments in regards to your experience at Deer Lodge. We do take any experience such as this seriously, and your comments are important to us. Please feel free contact me directly if you would like to speak about any of the above issues.
Deer Lodge Manager: dlmanager@crmr.com

Emerald Lake Lodge
Baker Creek Mountain Resort
Baker Creek Mountain Resort
#3 of 10 in Lake Louise

Been to Deer Lodge? Share your experiences!