“Worst Lodge”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Lake Louise
Canada
“Worst Lodge”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

There is no need to write a review. I took family visiting from the US and was shocked to see the condition of the lodge,rooms, and bathrooms. I will never return to this hotel again. The only plus point of this hotel is its location and closeness to Lake Louise.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank MaheshBhatia
CRMRManagment, General Manager at Deer Lodge, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
I am sorry to learn that your recent stay at Deer Lodge did not meet your expectations. I would welcome the opportunity to receive additional feedback and particular details regarding your concerns so that we may be able to address them appropriately. I may be reached directly at dlmanager@crmr.com.

Sincerely
Gavin McCaffrey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed May 19, 2013

So I booked this hotel at the very last minute. I thought its right by lake Louise so it's should be nice.
This hotel reminds me of a run down dormitory. Sure enough it has it's historic characteristic; however, it's old and modern feature just don't go together.
Front staff was very friendly. Room is clean "enough". Location is great!!

We stayed in the double bed room which is a very tiny room with no TV, no fridge, no proper closet. No sound proof so u could hear the water is running loudly when someone is taking a shower or maybe hear ur neighbor or... Someone walking in the hall way. Hot Water has a scold warning.. Meaning u can't run both facility at the same time (sink and toilet); otherwise, u'll have a sudden cold shower. There is wifi but super slow. Cant even watch a movie on netflix without buffering every 2 min. This room is about 100 square foot that's the room plus bathroom and we paid 130 per night. I would say it's not worth it!!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank mochatea
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us and sorry to learn that overall you did not enjoy your stay. I appreciate the feedback on the WiFi and will review the speed for watching movies. Indeed, Deer Lodge has never been characterized as a modern hotel and nor do we attempt to be. Deer Lodge has always been about preserving the historic feel and atmosphere of the original lodge. This means that we do not have televisions and fridges in our guestrooms. This is what our returning guests enjoy about Deer Lodge. Our Lodge Rooms are indeed cozy and on average smaller in size. For guests who want more spacious rooms, we do encourage them to consider our Heritage Rooms that are approximately 270 sq.ft in size and offer a balcony as well. I am pleased to know you found our staff to be very friendly and great to be moments away from Lake Louise.

Kind regards
Gavin McCaffrey

Travelers are raving about these Lake Louise hotels

Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

Checked into the dark, dank, bland room and quickly realised that there was no in room entertainment (which was not mentioned at time of booking or on the website) but that was the least of my problems once I saw what was waiting for me in the bathroom! The bathroom had obviously not been cleaned since the guest before me, the shower and tub had big clumps of hair stuck all over and the toilet had pee and poop all over it and the floor surrounding that looked like it had been there for a day or 2.
Horrified I went straight to the front desk where I was told "I'll make a note of that" and sent back to try and clean it up myself. I survived the night even after the lights bulbs in the bathroom blew leaving me in the dark ( they made a note of that )
When I checked out in the morning I showed the desk clerk ( different to the night before ) the photos I had taken of the toilet and shower and was promptly told that I was not entitled to any discount because I had purchased a more expensive bed and breakfast package instead of a single night stay, but he assured me that he would 'make a note of it' and added it to the bottom of a list of about 25 things in a notebook.
I would have been more comfortable in a hostel. Disgusting hotel, disgusting standards and disgusting service. Don't waste your money!

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank Joelisey
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2013

This is a great hotel, it is not the poor relation of the big sister up the road (the Fairmont ) but the place to stay in Lake Louise.
The rooms are comfortable and clean. The decor is rather quaint with wood panelling, stuffed wild animal heads on the walls and amazing lampshades throughout.
The main lounge has a large log gas fire which is cosy and welcoming, with great sofas and foot stools, so a place to relax. There are several smaller lounges, the Internet is free and a computer provided in one of the lounges for guests use.
There is a hot tub on the roof. The hotel is quiet and has the backdrop of the mountains and the forest.
We got 'a walk in ' rate of 99 dollars per night without breakfast. The restaurant has a varied menu with plenty to choose from, the service was attentive and fast and we had dinner and breakfast there.
If we go back to Lake Louise this is where we would stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JG_and_BB
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Beautiful lodge. We stayed in the old part and the rooms were clean but sparse. The remainder of the place was lovely with amazing sitting rooms filled with antiques. The main sitting area had a gorgeous fireplace! Loved the restaurant! The food was amazing - we had breakfast there every morning and ate most of our evening meals there! Highly recommend it! Hotel also had a shuttle to the Lake Louise ski resort which was very convenient and easy to use! Outside hot tub was incredible - clean with absolutely stunning views of the Rockies! And the price was right! I would definitely stay there again as Deer Lodge has so much character! Also a 5 minute walk from Lake Louise itself!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Audrey S
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed April 29, 2013

The staff was very friendly and accommodating, rooms were clean. I was quite pleased with the food. Really liked the roof top patio hot tub. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank omar z
CRMRManagment, General Manager at Deer Lodge, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for your comments and lovely to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us. Guests do enjoy the roof top hot tub - it certainly offers some wonderful views of the Victoria Glacier. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards,
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Well it all looked really good on the outside, we went around the end of March, still snowing, food was ok and there was one girl there that was very nice but she was leaving she said two weeks from when we where there, I will say the speed of the internet was good, other than that, the rest of our stay was pretty bad.

We were booked for two nights, once we got the right type of room (another story) it was so small we kept bumping into each other, the heating was up to high and we could not turn it down that night and we did not want to disturb anyone so we opened the window just a wee bit, (yes it was snowing outside), the thing that adjusts the temp was not working.

The eclectic was very bad, I know during the colder days you can get a bit of a zap (static electricity and all that) but I actually got an electric shock when I went to turn on a lamp (not static electricity) and when I went to turn on lights there was a flash behind the light switches, we had a twin share room my dad was too scared to have a shower in case he got electrocuted, that is how bad the electric was.

We left the next morning we were not going to stay another day (as we had planned) and went to Banff early and stayed at the International there which was wonderful for the same money (lots of room, fridge, TV – which we did not use but that was a choice open to us which was nice – big beds and no electric drama’s.

I did see while waiting for a transfer to Banff a newer section added on to Deer Lodge but I don’t know what those rooms where like, our room was in the main original building, the communal TV/games room was a joke, there was an older type TV there and a video player, (yes video player NOT a DVD player) so choice of movies was limited to those from 20 years ago

Free coffee or tea was available for a couple of hours in the morning, considering it was winter there that surprised me considering there was no Jug or any coffee/tea making facilities in the room (we were in Canada three weeks) and it was the only place that did not have those and other facilities there

Very disappointing, however the views and places to see, are out of this world just magic a must see

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ozziebeanie
CRMRManagment, General Manager at Deer Lodge, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on our recent stay at Deer Lodge. I do apologize that your overall stay was not to your expectations. Within the Rockies the air is dry throughout the entire year and does lead to the occassional “electrical shock” and there is no risk of being electrocuted in the shower. Many guests enjoy not having a television in their guest rooms as part of experiencing our historic lodge. Our Games Room does feature a flat screen television as well as a joint DVD/Video player and we are pleased to offer a wide selection of DVDs at the Front Desk for our guests to enjoy. The newer section is our Heritage Wing and features more spacious rooms all with coffee/tea makers. We do offer complimentary coffee and tea until 11am for all guests. I am glad that you enjoyed the views as they are quite stunning.

Kind regards,