“Quaint & Old fashioned” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Deer Lodge

You added Deer Lodge to your Saves list
Deer Lodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   109 Lake Louise Drive, Lake Louise, Banff National Park, Alberta T0L 1E0, Canada   |
Special Offer
Gourmet Getaway Package
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Lake Louise
Medicine Hat, Canada
“Quaint & Old fashioned”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

This does have a lovely rustic old fashioned charm. However, the room (upgraded), was small. No TV, no coffee maker. If you are on the short side you might need a step up to the very high bed!
We were on the first floor with no lift, luckily my husband could manage to carry the suite case up the stairs.
There was a lovely lounge with huge gas fire. We decided not to eat but the menu looked good. We did, however, have a drink. 1 glass wine & 1 beer $20!
I wouldn't choose this one again, not value for money in my opinion.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Korean first
Nova Scotia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

This is an historic gem. This is not a less expensive Chateau Lake Louise.
It's the only other accommodation that's adjacent to Lake Louise. For the location, the price, the hot tub & the historic charm I was totally fine with the condition of the rooms.
Ours was clean & tidy. It was not modern, renovated or adorable. We knew that before we reserved as the reviews & photos of other guests are everywhere.
But for the price, you really can't beat it. The staff were very kind & helpful.
The heat (and the mountain climate) make the rooms really dry. A wet towel on the radiators helps.
Restaurant staff were great but the food was not worth the price - entrees bland and overcooked.
I hear the burger is great, though.
Do your research & you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Friends upgraded to the "renovated" section. Rooms there are still small. Save your penni...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HaliTimes
Vancouver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We recently stayed at Deer Lodge and were not impressed with our stay. The "free" Internet that is advertised on the web site does not work so checking the snow report (the reason we stayed was we were snowboarding at Lake Louise) was not an option. We began our stay with being booked into the wrong room and having to come back to reception to get the correct room. When we got to our room we needed to charge our computer as we wanted to relax after a long day to watch a movie we brought with us (as there are no in room tv's), only to find that there was no proper power outlet in the entire room! We had to plug our computer charger into the bathroom as this was the only outlet with the 3rd round plugin needed.....the charger did not reach and the computer had to stay in the bathroom to charge. We also found out that the bathroom did not have a fan....with it being an extremely small 1 bedroom with no fan it was not pleasant when using the bathroom. The "climate controlled rooms"as advertised were overheated and required us to open the window in our room when it was -5 out in order to be comfortable...we could not even sleep with any sheets on it was so hot in the room.

Keep in mind we experienced this when exhausted and all we wanted was to sleep so we arrived and did not say anything until the morning as we just wanted to get some sleep before the next day and figured if all rooms were the same there would be no moving us anyways. The WORST part of our stay was when we mentioned politely the next morning how we were not happy with the stay and the female agent at the desk didn't even consider apologizing! We weren't even looking for a discount at the time, just a simple apology, but after her poor customer service we wanted more than an apology. When we advised the internet didn't work she immediately stated "my internet works fine". We explained that her internet may be working fine, but ours did not to which she replied "well did you say anything about it last night?" When we explained we had not she treated us like it was our fault for not bringing it to the attention of the staff at night, when all we wanted to do was watch a movie and fall asleep. We also mentioned that we had chatted with some people about their rate and had been told that as we had the Lake Louise ski cards we should have gotten a discount. She advised us that because we had not mentioned this at check in we were not eligible for this. We explained that most hotels will ask if customers have these cards like AMA, etc and she immediately said in a rude tone "there's nothing I can do, you have to let us know".

In all honestly you are better off staying at the Lake Louise Hostel. The staff at the Hostel are much nicer, they are also more accommodating (they gave us a discount in the morning after we had forgot to mention the Hostelling International card we had), the rooms are nicer and have proper power and the bathrooms have proper fans and is cheaper!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank treebeevancouver

Travelers are raving about these Lake Louise hotels

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

We booked this place with a little trepidation due to the mixed reviews and I have to say I don't understand them. On closer inspection it appears the negative reviews mainly seem to be because of small hot rooms, intermittent wifi and lack of TVs in the room. This is not enough to write this place down!
It is a stunning place in a remote location near the lake and about 4km from the town.

Service was fantastic and we got upgraded to a tower room. The room may have been on the small side compared to a purpose built hotel in a town but this is a quirky character place in the country, the rooms may be on the small side but they are perfectly big enough. We didn't notice the heat as just opened the window and let the fresh mountain air in!

We didn't want a tv here so didn't miss it, we preferred to spend the evening having a glass of wine in front of the big fire in the lounge. But there is a snooker table and movie room if you really can't be without the telly.

Food in the restaurant was amazing and some of the best we had in Canada - we loved the lamb! If going at the weekend best to book a table as people come here from the fairmont!

As other people have mentioned the hot tub overlooking the mountain is fantastic - especially in the snow

I would highly recommend this place to anyone

Oh yes and the beds are amazingly comfortable - didn't want to get up in the morning!

• Stayed March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
3 Thank becksupeverest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed at the deer lodge to do some snowboarding in March. We stayed in one of the tower rooms which I found cosy, my boyfriend found to small. I was fine with not having a tv in the room as I perfected to head down and sit by the fireplace with a book and a bottle of wine. My boyfriend is not a big reader and our evenings at the hotel went by slowly for him. We never did get a chance to eat in the hotel or use the hot tub as both closed a little early for night owls like ourselves. My only annoyance was the shuttle to the ski hill, we woke up in time to catch the last one and headed out side to wait, it did not show up, I went to front desk and inquired and I was told due to all the snow the bus was running lated, so we waited for another 30 minutes and still nothing, we eventually gave up and just called the cab. It is true what other reviews have said about there only being one in lake Louise, but the drivers are awesome and the wait isn't too bad. While I really enjoyed my stay at deer lodge I don't think my boyfriend will be coming back with me next time. If you like rustic and are fine with few extras then the place is great, if you need a tv and want 24hour room service maybe try the fairmont.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Goodie T
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I happened upon this gem of a mountain lodge while on a trip to Banff National Park for some skiing in February. Deer Lodge is just five minutes from the shores of Lake Louise and the imposing (and much more famous) Chateau Lake Louise. Although I've never stayed at the Chateau, I'm certain I'd rather stay at Deer Lodge.

Deer Lodge is relatively simple and rustic with no tvs in the rooms and a bar and restaurant that shut down early (10 pm). However, tvs and late night bars and restaurants are NOT the reason to come to Lake Louise! Lake Louise Ski Area is just 10-15 minutes drive down the mountain (and the lodge runs a shuttle).

My "Heritage" room was a bit pricer than the room I had originally booked, but it was very nicely decorate and had an amazing view of the Canadian Rockies that made me regret I had only booked for one night! The restaurant on site was a bit on the expensive side and the service was less than ideal due to, what appeared to be, understaffing. However, the food (and wine) was excellent.

If you are on the fence about staying here, let me just say that the roof top hottub with a view of the snow capped Rockies should be the deciding factor.

Malcolm - nycityskier.com

Room Tip: Splurge for the Heritage room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Malcolm_NYC
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We arrived at Deer Lodge at around 11 in the morning and were told check in not until 4pm but thankfully we were given our room earlier. The rooms are small and bathroom tiny but the common area's well and truly make up for this. We were not skiers so not a lot to do but soak up the character of this lodge. We had dinner in the restaurant, I tried the Carribou very nice.
Had a few red wines by the open fire and because no Television we got to meet some really lovely people and had some great laughs.
The hot tub on the roof is beautiful nice and warm with the snow falling around us.
Restaurant staff are very friendly.... .

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
HI Lake Louise Alpine Centre
HI Lake Louise Alpine Centre
#5 of 9 in Lake Louise
4.0 of 5 stars 228 reviews

Been to Deer Lodge? Share your experiences!