“Found a gem! ”

The Bison Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Bison Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 152 Restaurants in Banff
Cuisines: Contemporary, Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Caribou
Description: Walk up our staircase into rustic elegance. With windows on three sides, Banff's best mountain views speak for themselves. Enjoy a signature cocktail, local bottled beer or choose from our carefully selected wine list. Watch the show as a line of talented chefs in our open concept coppered kitchen lead by executive chef Kyle Nelson prepares your regionally inspired meal. Locals and visitors enjoy our sun-drenched terrace with its mountain views in the summer, and roaring campfire in the winter. Whether in high heels or hiking boots, our dining room is yours.
Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

Had a craving for a burger so walked around and finally another restaurant suggested the Bison. We both had the Bison burger and turned out to be the best ever had! Huge and full of fresh and imaginative ingredients cooked in a wood oven. The first order of oven fries were burnt but the server got us a fresh order and they were do good I ordered a second order.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,110)

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Lovely spot and warm comfortable room.. Waitress was excellent and knowledgeable and then my plate arrived....The beef tenderloin(2 pieces one inch thick) at $33 dollars you expect more.

1  Thank robert m
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I ate dinner here solo a few weeks ago and the experience was fantastic. By sheer dumb luck, Banff was celebrating their annual Restaurant Week and The Bison was participating...meaning I enjoyed a fabulous meal and postcard-perfect view at an almost-ridiculously low price. Creative menu, professional and friendly server, good wine selection--I can't imagine how it could have been a better experience for a tired, hungry road warrior. Highly recommended.

Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed dinner before an event at the Banff Centre. Arrived at 5pm and had plenty of time to enjoy appetizers, entrees and dessert. All of the meals tasted wonderful. The rack of lamb and bison ribeye were slightly overdone the requested temperature, but still delicious. Our Server compensated us without us asking or expecting anything. What a great surprise. We will be back.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

I am a successful professional living in Banff for the last 27 years. On occasion my wife and I have visited The Bison for an anniversary supper, we never had a problem until we brought company that didn't fit their 'dress code'. My wife is medical practitioner, her parents are farmers , and they came down for Thanksgiving. Her parents may not dress in business type clothing, though this type of discrimination is pathetic, boy was I shocked at the rude service from the staff at The Bison. I made a reservation for a first floor table given her parents are older and the stairs to the second floor are steep.

First off the man at the front door on the computer says 'sorry we are booked solid and are not taking tables'. I tell him, 'I made a 5:30 pm reservation' and I give him my name, he looks my parents up and down and says 'there is nothing here' , then he does some typing and says 'oh the second floor is available', I explained 'I specifically asked for a first floor table'. He said 'sorry we're all booked up'. We climb upstairs and find the place is practically empty , it stayed empty the entire time we were there, the first floor was half empty as well, I noticed the average dressed customers were all seated on the second floor and the business dressed were seated on the first floor. Had I not made a reservation we would have been turned away on Thanksgiving weekend!!!??!!??

The lies and attitude from the staff really annoyed me. On top of that each plate was $35, was not a three course meal and only included two table spoons of; turkey, stuffing, potatoes and two small carrots, desert not included. My dad asked if it was a weight watchers restaurant, he was serious. My wife's parents tend a garden and with the help of her brother they raise beef cattle, sheep and dairy cattle, as well as crop wheat. When my dad asked the server where the turkey came from she didn't have an answer. She made no conversation and kept starring at my dads John Deer hat. I guess no hats allowed in the pretentious Bison restaurant. Little did she know he's the reason they have any food to serve in the first place, had she engaged any conversation, in an empty restaurant, I guess she had better things to do.

We all left feeling ripped off and uncomfortable. After paying the $200 bill, I went to the bathroom and I was amazed at how it reminded me of a gas station rest room, good old second floor treatment. The Bison is a tourist trap, period. Poorly managed for any regular people, they take themselves way too seriously, it is definitely not for families or kids. The only thing different you'll find here is the outrageous prices. My wife and I will never return to The Bison. I would bet half the reviews are from the owners and staff themselves. In Banff I recommend The Waldhaus Restaurant, The Balkan and The Grizzly House for a legitimate professional restaurant for big groups, small groups and children.

11  Thank Leigh S