“4.5 / 5 if I could - very fine meal!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Bison Restaurant

The Bison Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Bison Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 140 Restaurants in Banff
Cuisines: Canadian, Contemporary
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Caribou
Description: Walk up our staircase into rustic elegance. With windows on three sides, Banff's best mountain views speak for themselves. Enjoy a signature cocktail, local bottled beer or choose from our carefully selected wine list. Watch the show as a line of talented chefs in our open concept coppered kitchen lead by executive chef Brendan Robson prepare your regionally inspired meal. Locals and visitors enjoy our sun-drenched terrace with its mountain views in the summer, and roaring campfire in the winter. Whether in high heels or hiking boots, our dining room is yours.
Ottawa, Canada
“4.5 / 5 if I could - very fine meal!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Banff is a tourist trap that gets overrun with hoards of tourists (like us!), and understandably so - it's absolutely stunning. It can be hard to find a truly fine meal in a place that doesn't have to concern itself with return clientele. Discussions on the food boards will reveal that there's a a lot of average trying to dress up as (and charge for) fine dining in Banff. Our meal at the Bison was terrific. I would go back again in a heartbeat.
I had the New York steak and my companion had the bison short ribs. Both were top notch. The beef was amazing. - certainly some of the best I've ever had for the cut it was. We also split a flat bread appetizer (duck confit and rhubarb) beforehand and it was interesting and unusual, and also was top notch.
The server was very pleasant, but the only knock would be that we spent a lot more time waiting for things than we should have. I do not mean that "the meal took more than 10 minutes to arrive" - I don't expect fast food when I go out for a very nice meal. But it was long enough from the time that we ordered drinks until they arrived that the server apologised for the delay. Similar story when we were waiting for the bill. And, more or less, throughout. Not bad service, but just a lot less ... attentive than you would expect for a very fine meal.

• Korean first
  • Polish first
“A must when visiting Banff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

I was very skeptical about going here but my boyfriend had talked me into it (I don't often like things I'm not familiar with.) But The Bison turned that around for me. I wish I remembered the name of our Waitor, he was originally from Nova Scotia and just excellent to deal with! I am a very picky eater but he was extremely kind, warm and patient when explaining the foods, their ingredients, and preparation. Very knowledgable and made me feel so comfortable trying the new-to-me foods!

There wasn't one single thing that we had at this restaurant that we didn't like, everything was fresh, light, and very tasty! I had steak and my boyfriend has the bison burger, we also shared dessert which was flavours of ice cream or something... But delish, none the less!

Go here! You will not be disappointed.

1 Thank b-xo
wollongong, Australia
“Highly recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

If you ever stay in Banff, make sure you have a meal at the Bison. It's arguably the best restaurant in town. Food, service, atmosphere, everything was outstanding. We had dinner in a number of places in and around Banff, and we honestly believe it's well worth spending $30 more for the delicious meal we were served. We were rather apprehensive in the beginning, as the menu seemed to be mainly meat based, and both of us wanted fish instead. How wrong we were! Both the cod and trout were superbly cooked, as were the vegetables that came with them. The service was excellent, too,our waiter very helpful and friendly, and we found the price reasonable for the quality provided. If we ever happen to go back to Banff, we'll make sure we'll go to the Bison again.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank gioska_11
Phoenix
“Excellent food, wonderful service. A must for those who appreciate the finer things.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We had a excellent meal last night. Split the bison carpaccio and scallops. Then split the Trout. All three were outstanding. Our server Julian was exceptional and made the evening very special. Highly recommend.

Pagosa Springs, Colorado
“Nice start to our Banff vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

This was our first night's dinner, and it was a great start to our Banff vacation. Jade had been a bubbling and welcoming personality when we reserved the week before we arrived, and Jessie was an excellent waitress. To start, we shared the flatbread appetizer topped with duck confit, rhubarb, kale, gorgonzola and pine nuts -- delicious and light. Lots of outstanding British Columbia wines, and a nice touch to let us taste before ordering. For entrees, I had the softshell crab slider with lobster poutine and my husband had the rack of lamb, both excellent. It was fun to look at the map on the menu that showed where the food came from in Alberta and B.C.

• Visited August 2013