“Perfectly cooked steak”

The Bison Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Bison Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 148 Restaurants in Banff
Cuisines: Contemporary, Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Caribou
Description: Walk up our staircase into rustic elegance. With windows on three sides, Banff's best mountain views speak for themselves. Enjoy a signature cocktail, local bottled beer or choose from our carefully selected wine list. Watch the show as a line of talented chefs in our open concept coppered kitchen lead by executive chef Brendan Robson prepare your regionally inspired meal. Locals and visitors enjoy our sun-drenched terrace with its mountain views in the summer, and roaring campfire in the winter. Whether in high heels or hiking boots, our dining room is yours.
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I have mixed feelings about this restaurant. We ate there twice in mid-March, which is the slow season in Banff. We arrived without reservations. The first time was a little after 6 p.m. midweek, hardly rush hour, and they told us the only way they could seat us was if we left by 7:30. The restaurant was more than half empty when we went in as well as when we left about 7:15.
The second time we arrived at 7:15 on a Sunday night. They told us it would be a 15-minute wait. I think they wanted us to order a drink at their little downstairs bar. We didn't, so we got seated in a few minutes. Again, when we got upstairs, the place was half empty and didn't fill up.

This treatment colors my reaction to the food, which generally was very good. The first night my husband and I both ordered beef tenderloin, cooked medium. It arrived perfectly prepared, was good size for a filet, and was delicious. However, the sides were amazingly skimpy. The "stuffed baked potato" turned out to be only half of a potato, about the size of half of a tennis ball. The fresh vegetables, though very good, consisted of two snow peas and two or three baby carrots. This seemed overprices at $39. We did get a basket of delicious bread. Oh, yes--almost forgot because I suppressed it--we also got a HUGE marrow bone, which I personally found completely unappetizing just to look at. I don't know if that is some delicacy in the area, but it didn't show up on other menus, I think for good reason.

The second night, we ended up here by default. My husband got the bison burger, which was huge and he liked it. It came with house-made Forno Fries--roasted potato wedges--which were fantastic. (Ask for the Forno Fries instead of the disappointing stuffed potato if you get a steak.) I got the braised rabbit ravioli and some vegetables. The ravioli was undercooked--the pasta was hard in spots. Some of the vegetables were fine but others (asparagus) were woefully overcooked.

Both nights the service was excellent.

1  Thank Kona4

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Had family in from the east this week and toured all around the valley. Took them to the Bison for dinner. We didn't have a reservation, but were seated quickly. I had a caesar salad to start, it was the best caesar salad I have ever eaten! It was served with the leaves whole, and drizzled with the most wonderful dressing. For a main dish I had Bison Short Ribs. They were so juicy they fell apart, right off the bone tender. The pan drippings were delicious. My partner had caesar salad as his main with, scallops. He enjoyed them, I sampled his as well and the scallops were done perfectly! They were full of flavour. Another diner we were with had the Bison Burger and raved that it was fantastic. Over all, the 4 of us each thoroughly enjoyed this restaurant and I have no doubts to recommend this restaurant to anyone. Our server was friendly and attentive. She helped us pick out a wine that went with all of our meals.

1  Thank lillytail
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Looks good from the outside but even better inside. The bread from the next door bakery is probably the best had had in a long time. Escargot with bacon was a novel but nice twist and the mains lamb and duck were perfectly cooked. Would happily recommend to anyone

1  Thank becksupeverest
Reviewed March 19, 2013

$10 calzones. Is the special on tues. I'm not sure of the other specials offered on the other days of the week. But I cannot pass up this Tuesday deal. The best part is its half a block from the movie theater. After spending $20 including a beer and tip at the tavern I get the Tuesday welfare deal at the movie theater. Service and food at the bison is quick and friendly

1  Thank wolffy
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Great tasting food.. had the venison appetizer,bison ribeye and creme brule. Simply awesome!Good service. Will definatly return!!

2  Thank TheresaHu