“Horrendous customer service”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Woodstock, NB
“Horrendous customer service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

It is with deep regret that I have to write this review about one of our local businesses. With my sushi-loving in-laws in town for the holidays we decided to go to Miki on December 29th. We called and made a reservation for 6:45pm and showed up on time. We were promptly greeted at the door and shown to our table. The waitress then left. She did not ask if we wanted water, say that our server will be right with us... she said nothing. All tables were full except a 2-seat by the bar and a 4-seat beside us which was dirty.
Five minutes after we sat down, a couple was seated at the 2 seat table. Five minutes later they had place their order and had beer. We still didn’t have water. But, being overly polite, we waited – filled out our sushi order form – tried to catch a waitress’ attention. There were 3 waitresses and we seemed to be sitting in a blind spot, even though we were in the middle of the restaurant. I could see the wet bar, the men making the sushi, the ‘order-up’ table, and every other table in the restaurant.
At the ten minute mark I started to try to flag down a waitress. But even waving the white order form sheet would not bring their eyes to our table.
Then, after 20 minutes of watching 3 waitresses walk by our table repeatedly, a family of 4 is seated at the table next to us. They barely have their coats of and a waitress is there! With her back to us! It was truly unbelievable! After she was finished taking their order, she turned to walk away and I had to loudly say ‘Excuse me’ to get her attention. At least the tables next to us would have heard me. Oh my goodness, it was like she never knew this table was here. I say to her ‘We’ve been waiting 20 minutes, could we get some water?’ She offers no apology, just takes the order form, asks if we want wasabi (which we do), and gets the water.
15 minutes later we are still waiting for food and our glasses are empty. I walk to the wet bar, get a pitcher of water, refill our glasses, and return the pitcher. They don’t even notice! The family of 4 next to us gets their food.
We get our first plate of food, which of course we inhale because we are very hungry after 40 minutes of waiting. She never asks if we want beer or wine. The in-laws ask for a bottle of wine, which she does not understand and we point out on the menu. She’s quick in getting this to us. While we wait for the rest of our order, I watch food go to other tables. The Japanese family on the other side of us is getting great service. And so are the other 2 Japanese tables at the other end of the restaurant. The young couple that were seated after us are getting good service. We were forgotten once we were seated and are now ignored.
I watch a plate of food journey to the end of the restaurant. The guests say it’s not theirs. It comes back to the order-up table. The 3 waitresses gather around trying to figure out who’s food it is. They seem to have it sorted and put the plate behind a full towers of plates on the order-up table and walk away. 2 minutes later our waitress picks up said plate and brings it to us. Odd. I ask for more ginger.
More food comes and we place a second order. We never get more ginger, or water. I ask for 2 additional sushi cones (the BBQ Eel and Avocado is really good) and she tells us our time is up and there are reservations after us. At this time is it 8:15pm. But since we were ignored for the first 20 minutes I was not going to allow this to cut into our time. She talks with one of the chefs and brings us the cones. I notice that a table of young Japanese that were here before us are not asked to leave. At 8:30pm she brings us the bill. She does not ask us if we want ice cream (which is included in the all you can eat). So I ask her if the ice cream is included; she says it is. We get our ice cream. When we go to pay I ask her if there is a local discount, she says no. I ask her if there is a discount for being ignored for 20 minutes, she says no. We pay, give a small tip, and I tell her to have a good night; don’t forget about anyone else. The table that was there before us is still seated and no one has come in to seat in 3 tables that have emptied. So we feel we were lied to and they were trying to get rid of us.
I wish we had brought a snack to see how long we could have sat there without being acknowledged.
This whole experience was completely bizarre. To be forgotten about, have to ask for service, and then feel like we’re being kicked out. They do not try to rectify the situation. They could have made this a better experience if they had provided good customer service once I got her attention and given us a discount; but they just wanted to get rid of us; make the bad experience go away.
Our bill was $160 before tip.

• Visited December 2012
3 Thank NBShortie

calgary
“the worst experience...ruined our family's christmas celebration”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

we had a long day of snowboarding on christmas day. we were so tired and hungry and decided to order eat all you can. after 40 minutes of waiting, our small order came. its our first time in the restaurant so we don't really know how much order is enough for us as we want to avoid left overs...the waitress didn't even cared to mention that we ordered very small amount and might not be enough for us...so we ordered another batch...waited for another 40 minutes...then 1 small dish came which we ate for only 1 minute or less.....30 minutes past again and another 1 small plate ....we were all very hungry and tired and too stressed out waiting...tried to endure the wait a little bit more but eventually we decided to ask how long do we still need to wait and they said minimum 10 minutes for 1 small plate and others to follow after. they said they are sooooo busy.....(when the restaurant is not really that full) SO unable to stand it, we asked for the bill of what we just consumed but we were still charged the full amount of eat all you can at 30 per person...they wont consider just charging what we ate as to them we ate and was served. We were very disappointed and totally ruined the very good day we had on christmas day. so for like $100 we ate 4 small cones of sushi and 2 very small plates of tuna and waited for 2 hours. THE WORST EXPERIENCE. we all went home hungry and very unhappy. my kids are very hungry and restless! we will never go back to this restaurant ever.

• Visited December 2012
3 Thank SethCalgary
Airdrie
“Waaaay too slow”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

Not bad sushi but staff want to make sure that you either get fed up and leave or just get bored because one waitress could not handle three small tables and the wait between portions was super long. The waitress spoke absolutely no English so ordering basic sushi was very difficult. We won't be back because when we go out to eat , it's because we are hungry now, not 45 minutes after we order

2 Thank ballsdeep77
Calgary Area
“Good takeout, bad service.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

I sat and waited for my takeout and watched the hostess turn away three groups of people who came in to eat. The dining room was nearly empty, but she kept telling them that they had reservations coming in…I waited for twenty minutes after this and noone came in! Weird. But the food was good, the miso soup was tasty and rich, sushi was fresh and they accomodated my special order. Tempura was fair, I have had better, but not too bad. Overall I would eat there again. Better option than the Wildfire Grill if you are staying at the Inns of Banff, that's for sure!

Visited June 2012
2 Thank teamhudson
Calgary
“All you can eat in 90 minutes?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2012

All you can eat in 90 Min. would be great if they actually brought you food. We sat, ordered 3 reasonably small dishes of sushi. We promptly received our first dish, then almost 45 minutes past before the secound dish (of our original order) showed up. After another 20 minutes we decided we had had enough and left. They had no problem handing us a $99 bill for the two small dishes they served...which might have cost us $20 anywhere else.

Lots of great Sushi in Banff, avoid this place if you can.

• Visited May 2012