“Value and quality , What more is there ?”
Review of El Toro Restaurant

El Toro Restaurant
Ranked #38 of 148 Restaurants in Banff
Cuisines: Mexican, Spanish
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: El Toro after a long day skiing or for your romantic dinner in our warm and cozy atmosphere! Tapas, Chateaubriand for two or delicious steak will be sure to satisfy all taste buds!
Reviewed August 28, 2012

From the outside El Toro doesn't perhaps look the most promising but that is belied by what lies within.
The menu has a nice mix of small plates/tapas and more elaborate main courses. The wine list is interesting and by canadian standards reasonably priced.
The service is friendly , efficient and attentive. But the main reason for going is the quality of the cooking which really is excellent.
The specialty of the house is probably the Chateaubriand for two but I had a really interesting plate of home prepared calamari and a Caesar salad. Maybe not the most enterprising of choices but both were near perfect and exactly what I wanted. My only quibble...no anchovies in the salad. This has become the North American norm but a sad one in my view, Some crisp salty canadian streaky bacon was a reasonable substitute.
I left with a smile on my face as I always do..

1  Thank Alex186370

Reviewed August 26, 2012

On Banff Avenue - next to the Irwin's Hotel where we stayed for 1 night in August 2012. My husband, father and I had breakfast there. Oatmeal, 2 Traditional Egg dishes, toast, coffee, strawberries and juice. Everything was good - strawberries were really fresh and tasty. Waitress was friendly and efficient. We would eat there again next time we're in town.

1  Thank NYC-Canuck
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I went there with a party of 20 people. Our group generally really liked the food, but we found it expensive, largely because the portions are so small. Most of us loaded up on tapas, which they do have a nice selection of. I had the pepper soup (bland, nothing special), the warm vegetable salad (pretty and tasty), and the scallops (scallops good but not the pickled cabbage). The caesar salad got the thumbs down and the lamb meatballs and salmon a thumbs up. If money is no object I think this would be a nice restaurant to revisit and explore the menu. Nice atmosphere, reasonable service.

1  Thank theonebob
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We had a nice meal of lamb for my wife and burger/beer for me. Both meals were a little on the salty side but quite delicious. The marinated vegetable appetizer plate was really good and we want to figure out how to make the sauce! We would like to go back on some of their special offer nights on weekdays.

1  Thank Craxiter
Reviewed July 28, 2012

On one of my many visits to Banff as of late and not quite sure what I felt like eating, I was thumbing through the Where Magazine Banff when an add caught my eye......Chateaubriand for two...at a great price on Thursdays.....well, It was Thursday, so we decided to try it out.......Lets just say this was a very good decision..Wonderful ambiance with candles lit at each table........delicious food started in the kitchen, and then finished table side by our very competant server! The Beef was very tender and the au jus was full of flavour.......add a glass of red wine to this and you have a little bit of heaven! For dessert, we had Banana's Foster, once again made tableside......mouthwatering! Needless to say, we were stuffed when all was said and done.....Great food, Great service...Great Value.....that's another big thumbs up for another great restaurant in Banff

2  Thank Elaine R