“Gem on Banff Avenue”

Ranked #38 of 148 Restaurants in Banff
Cuisines: Mexican, Spanish
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: El Toro after a long day skiing or for your romantic dinner in our warm and cozy atmosphere! Tapas, Chateaubriand for two or delicious steak will be sure to satisfy all taste buds!
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Friendly staff, prompt service and fresh, delicious food. Our daughter has a peanut allergy and the waitress/cook made sure that every item of food coming to our table was safe for our daughter. The burger my husband had was undescribeably delicious, accompanied with fresh homemade hand-cut fries. I ordered their fajita and the meat/onion/peppers arrived in a sizzling platter accompanied with a beautiful presentation of homemade guacamole, refried beans and salsa. The tortillas arrived warm and wrapped and lightly grilled - a nice extra. All in all it's the little extras that make El Toro a refreshing change when dining out. When we return to Banff it'll be the first place we go to eat!

1  Thank gundrychick

Reviewed July 13, 2011

A wonderful restaurant in a great hotel just out of town. The breakfast was great! I am still having dreams about the crepes - they are amazing! I highly suggest that anyone staying at Irwin's go there for breakfast, it is the best breakfast that i found during my stay in Banff. You get a discount if you are staying in the hotel...

Reviewed July 5, 2011

We had breakfast at El Toro's - there was only one other couple there. The choices were quite limited and a little pricey but it is a nicely decorated restaurant. We had a 'combo' $12, Bagel w Smoked Salmon $8.50, and coffee and iced tea both at $2.50.

Reviewed July 4, 2011

El Toro's is located in Irwin's Hotel and not well-signposted, but don't walk past. The food is marvellous. It was nice to be able to choose the tapas -small amounts of different things, instead of being faced with a huge plate of burger and fries, which is a Banff staple. We had calamari to start - in a wonderful light crisp batter and full of flavour. Then we had the tapas selection together with the day's special (asparagus and ham). We'd been in Spain earlier in the year and the meal at El Toro's compared very favourably with those we'd had there.
Prices are reasonable for the quality of the food and service from Gabrielle was really good.
We couldn't understand why there weren't more people in the restaurant, but it was late-ish on a Sunday evening and I gather it had been busy earlier with a large group - so for a lovely leisurely meal - go later.

Reviewed June 29, 2011

Banff has its own standards of value. To me, a little kids cheese pizza for $7 is expensive. Nonethless, my family of 5, staying at the fox, walked down to this establishment and managed to get in and out in $80 inc tip. Keep in mind we all had water. To their credit, the food was very good and probably worth the money. I had the burger -- excellent. my son had the nachos and it came with lots of guac and extras. fajitas were quite good. the little kid pizza was better than expected. I'm told that every place in Banff is this expensive, so, if that is the case, I can definitely recommend. Very short walk for folks staying at the Fox Inn. We walked down to the Safeway (four blocks) for ice cream afterwards.