“Consistently good dining experience”

Ticino Swiss-Italian Restaurant
Ranked #43 of 148 Restaurants in Banff
Cuisines: Italian, Swiss
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 30, 2013

My family have been fans of Ticino's for years. As the Banff restaurant scene has trended toward cookie cutter high profile chains, Ticino's provides a pleasant dining experience. The veal dishes are outstanding, their signature mushroom soup a feast for the palate and the service is professional and personable. The atmosphere is warm and conducive to conversation. We enjoy dining in Canmore which has become a Mecca for foodies but we love the warmth and consistently enjoyable experience of dining at Ticino's in Banff.

1  Thank Barbara J
There are newer reviews for Ticino Swiss-Italian Restaurant

Reviewed May 27, 2013

They take on bus groups here and as we approached we thought we would be SOL....but no...they sat us a a nice table for two and we had a great dinner. The satff was excellent..
TIP....order the chocolate Fondue dessert for two...but have room!

3  Thank puckstopper31
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I have gone here for the last two years and have no problem with my meal each time.
I enjoyed the pork tenderloin, the buffalo steak and the salmon.
The cheese fondue is pretty darn tastey and I had no problems with flavour or stale bread.
I also enjoyed the homemade Gelatos and the tirimisu...very tastey!!!
I would recommend this hotel as our service was excellent, food great and overall experience very enjoyable.
I will keep coming back!!!

2  Thank mhtkd
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Sad to say after many years of reading TripAdvisor reviews, Ticino's spurred me to write a review - a negative one. It truly is abysmal. I had read a positive review (or thought I had at least) from a leading restaurant critic from Calgary (John Gilchrist). Now I'm doubting my memory...also it must be mentioned the book was from quite a few years ago. Our hotel clerk had eaten there though and was very enthusiastic.

The decor is dated, stale and a bit of a parody. We joked that it probably hadn't changed in the restaurant's 33 years in existence. However, bad decor is not an issue if the food is good.

We ate the exact same gnocchi with duck breast and cheese fondue as an earlier reviewer and were appalled. The fresh vegetables with the fondue consisted of some zucchini, curried cauliflower, red pepper, and defrosted carrot strips. The fondue was ok but likely a mix, the bread was plentiful and truly stale. As for the gnocchi dish, they were unidentifiable as gnocchi. Likely first cooked, then fried and then reheated from god know's when. The sauce arrived at the table already congealing...you know that hard layer that forms on the top and that you have to brush away. This was not a freshly made sauce - visions of Gordon Ramsay inspecting moldy refrigerators surfaced at this point. I'd also guess that it was based on a mix of some sort and entirely ghoulish. The duck breast sounded appealing but 5 thin slices of greyish colour with little taste, a bit slippery in the mouth, with a a thick fat edge arrived which made short shrift of that idea. The other dish (spaghetti with ragu) was ok although any reputable store brand would have matched it. I didn't quite get the dash of paprika powder showered on every plate.

The wine list was decent; a good selection and reasonable if not great prices. However even in Banff there are numerous decent places to eat, this isn't one of them. In our recent trip to Canada (and likely 20 odd meals) this was the stinker.

3  Thank Esdorn
Reviewed April 28, 2013

My wife and I went last weekend for her Birthday. I have to say it was the worst experience i have ever had in a restaurant. We arrived at 8:50 PM on a Saturday evening and were informed that the Kitchen was closed. We were interested in a fondue and they said they were still offering Fondue but nothing else. After 30 minutes we finally were able to order a Cheese Fondue (Appetiser) and a meat Fondue. The menu was not clear, We ordered the fondue which stated 2 portions. But when we received our bill they charged us for 2 seperated fondues,( an extra $40).
When we received the cheese fondue there was so much alcohol in the sauce it took your breath away when you stied to eat it. ( we could not finish) when the Meat Fondue arrived there were very small portions (for $80) no spice no flavour the rice was all stuck together, no flavour at all. The waiter was a friendly guy from Peru and when we started to talk to him the owner came running right over and chased him away. All in all I would never go back, If they were not able to serve after 9 PM they should just say so and not serve the a terrible meal that they did. There menu should be clear on pricing.

2  Thank Norm154914