“decent meal”
Review of The Maple Leaf

The Maple Leaf
Reserve with OpenTable
The Maple Leaf is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 148 Restaurants in Banff
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Caribou Street
Reviewed November 9, 2013

We had a nice meal at the Maple Leaf. As others have mentioned the food is very good but I wouldn't say great. The cheese and meat plate app wasn't my favorite. Others in our party were very happy with their entrees, mine was decent. The ambiance fits nicely with the setting of Banff. The service was just ok as there were a couple of instances where we had to seek out or remind staff of our requests. I would likely go back but I am not as floored by it as other reviewers.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,829)

Reviewed November 8, 2013

Sunday, November 3, 2013
Lunch

The Maple Leaf… hmmm… Well I was really looking forward to it from some of the reviews on TripAdvisor. The food was excellent. The service, not so much…

We walked in and were greeted politely by a server walking by. She informed us that the hostess would be with us shortly. The hostess came down the stairs very slowly and reluctantly said hello. I said for 2 please. She immediately led us to the lounge side, which doesn’t have the best mountain view. My friend had specifically requested of me to find a restaurant with a mountain view, so I asked her if this was okay for her. The restaurant side was on Banff Ave and had a better view. I suppose we were inconveniencing her because before my friend could answer, the hostess snapped “Well this is all I have, so if you want to wait…” My friend answered that this would be fine.

We were never actually asked if we wanted anything to drink. The bartender/server brought us waters right away and thankfully that’s all we wanted. He looked tired, overworked and a little sweaty. He told us the soup of the day and disappeared before we could ask any questions. We were ready to order and he came up to the table, I looked at him as if to say we’re good to go, but he must have not understood and walked away again. I asked my friend to put her menu down so he would come back. He didn’t come back for another 5 minutes. My cutlery was dirty. I noticed the knife had a big chunk of something hanging off of it. I would have just asked to use my friend’s and not asked for a new one, but then I looked at the fork and it was dirty too. When we ordered I let him know of this. It probably set the tone as us being high-maintenance and time consuming customers. At least that’s how his attitude proceeded to unfold.

My friend ordered a Turkey sandwich. She asked if it was ‘real turkey’. She meant is it sliced turkey breast, or is it deli meat, and therefore processed turkey. To this he replied, “Of course it’s real turkey. What is fake turkey?” Yes, that’s exactly how you respond to someone asking a question about the menu. Perhaps he was making a failed attempt at a joke? Having read the website before dining, I knew that freshness and quality food was important to The Maple Leaf. This would have been a perfect opportunity for him to show off what quality the restaurant had to offer. Instead he came across as ignorant and rude. Thankfully her sandwich and salad was lovely. She really enjoyed it.

I ordered the Farmer’s breakfast (you need a fork to eat it and preferably a clean one ). It came with baked beans, which I am not a fan of. I asked if I could get an extra tomato and not get the beans. He said that was fine. If he had said no, I would have just asked that they hold the beans as there is no point in wasting something I’m not going to eat. He didn’t write it down. When it came, the beans were there on the plate and I couldn’t tell if there was any extra tomato. At first we weren’t going to say anything. I just put it to the side. My friend flagged him over. He told us that they did give me an extra tomato and that they can’t just give me extra stuff that isn’t comparable food cost wise as canned beans cost 10 cents vs a slice of tomato. Again, when your restaurant boasts of freshness and quality, why would you talk about using canned beans?! Due to his tone, I explained that I just wasn’t sure if it was correct since I asked for no beans and there they were. He said, “So, if I take the beans away then we’ll call it even?” I smiled and nodded in disbelief. Sans beans, the Farmer’s breakfast was really quite tasty. 

He never came back to check on the food after that. Thankfully other staff members refilled our waters without being asked and without any attitude.

I was really looking forward to The Maple Leaf. The food was so great! Some of the staff needs to be educated on the menu and be proud of the quality of the restaurant. This is definitely one of those things where you have to question is the food good enough to make you come back if the service was that bad? Well, the food was that good. I hope management sees this and takes action, or when I do come back, I get a different server/ hostess so that I can fully enjoy my meal. I’m sure it would have tasted even better without the ‘tude.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

We loved our dinner at The Maple Leaf. The wine list has an excellent selection of bottles, half bottles and wine by the glass. We enjoyed a full taste of what the restaurant has to offer - the scallops and pork belly were so good. The bison and beef tenderloin were cooked to perfection with some tasty side dishes.
We had fantastic service. Ou server was patient, informative, attentive and friendly.
The restaurant is classy and we fully enjoyed our dining experience.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

There is a vast choice of restaurants to choose from in Banff. I spend two weeks here on vacation every other year and would always pay the maple leaf a visit. One of the best restaurants in the town. Its not quite fine dining but its one of the closest youll get in Banff. fantastically warm and vibrant atmosphere in a lovely upstars or down restaurant. Food is excellent with service to match but if you're looking for a budget meal its not ideal.
If i was only in Banff for 3 nights this would be one of the places id choose so dont miss it.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

This restaurant was our favourite in Banff (Earls was a close second). It is a little bit more expensive than the average in Banff but you absolutely get what you pay for. My wife and I had a truly great meal at the Maple Leaf and Stephanie, our waitress, was friendly, knowledgeable and attentive. We walked out of the Maple Leaf feeling really pleased that we had eaten there and for mine, that is the sign of a really good night out.
You will not be disappointed.