“game meats - yum”
Review of The Maple Leaf

The Maple Leaf
Reserve with OpenTable
The Maple Leaf is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 144 Restaurants in Banff
Cuisines: American, Canadian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Caribou Street
edmonton
“game meats - yum”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We went to Maple Leaf as a last minute decision and when we phoned for a reservation, the restaurant was very accomodating for a group of 5 ppl. The decor of the restaurant is nicely done - very rustic yet modern and clean. The menu was very interesting - lots of meat. Our calamari appetizer was very good. I started with the quinoa salad - both that the cesar salad were very good. My 18 y/o son had the Alberta Cowboy steak - 18 oz T-bone steak which was mostly meat and not much bone. He finished the whole steak. Another 2 ppl in our party had bison - tenderloin and prime rib - both were exceptionally done. I had the lamb - only 3 chops but also tasty. And my daughter had duck with risotto which was also very tasty. I rated it as one of the best due to the bison and the steak meats - both done very well. Pricey but then aren't they all for this type of quality.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Banff, Canada
“Never disappointed - good consistency”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We go to the Maple Leaf twice a year or so, usually when they are having local specials in falls and also on special occations. They have never disappointed us with the quality of food and service. Banff has such high turnovers with seasonal workers and people come and go. With those condition, their consistency stands out. We are looking forward to going back this fall again!

• Visited November 2012
Calgary, Canada
“surprisingly unsatisfying”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I live in Banff and like taking people that visit me to restaurants serving fine Canadian cuisine. Recently I took a few friends ranging from UK to LA to Vancouver out to the Maple Leaf; it was 7 of us. The service started out poorly because we had to wait 10+ minutes before we were greeted by our server, once we were greeted by our server a couple of people at the table immediately asked for a cocktail, but to my surprise, as someone in the industry, I was shocked when she didn't ask the rest of the table if anyone else was ready to put in a drink order. The next time we saw our server was when she brought over the first couple of drinks. From then on service improved, but I must say I was surprised that we were not quality checked once; not through apps and not through mains. Our server was nice enough and excused herself for not approaching the table sooner upon arrival, however I felt as if though she had so many more opportunities to make up.

Wine selection is incredible a little pricey, but I suppose in order to hold such a big stock you pay for the convenience. The cocktails are fun and tasty, however I must say that my pina colada on the rocks type cocktail was sloppy; my glass was covered from rim to base in wet shredded coconut.

The ribeyes served on the wooden cutting boards were brilliant, delicious and well worth the price. The snow crab meal was also lovely. The rest of the food was disappointing; the wedge salad was flavourless - we asked for more dressing, but even that on its own was quite bland. The charcuterie board had loads of fruit (too much), not enough crostinis, the selection of meats and cheeses was really good though. I had the Halibut which had a really good flavour but the piece of halibut looked as if though it had been butchered by a toddler causing uneven cooking.

I will go back, but I will definitely expect much better.

1 Thank Daniel M
melbourne
“Good food at the right price”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We got good seats even without a reservation, or we were lucky. After 10 minutes the place got busier. Our waitress and waiter were friendly and efficient.
We ordered the crab cakes for entree, presentation was very good, sauce just right amount and complimented the dish.
For main dish, bison stroganoff which was delicious, the mushrooms was a bit too few. Their signature salmon dish which was cooked medium was excellent but I woul have preferred the dish served with rice, the mash potatoes made it heavier. The presentation and sauce was great.
Toilets were clean.

Guernsey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Simply Superb”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The best meal we had during our holiday in Canada... and we have had many very good ones! The dishes are perfectly balanced and refined. First class steaks.

The lemon and poppy seed tart with lavender ice cream was probably the best desert I have ever tasted!