“Rude and bad service”

Masala Authentic Indian Cuisine
Ranked #28 of 148 Restaurants in Banff
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Banff’s only East Indian restaurant offers a wide variety of cuisine. Specialties from the wood-fired tandoori clay oven,many varieties of curry and classic masala fare share the 65-item menu. Dishes are made to order–mild,medium or hot. Meals are accompanied by the pleasant sounds and smells of traditional Indian music and spices. Art depicting Hindu God’s and Indian life are features of the casual dining room,while window seats afford view of Wolf Street and Cascade Mountain.
Reviewed February 11, 2010

Went to Masala for a change. All the food came at once, not like Indian restaurants here. Waited about 20 minutes before even asked if we want drinks. Then food came all at once. Waitress only half cleared the table and went and served someone else. Offered 10 0/0 discount card from tour operator, which she took off the bill but insisted a gratuity on the original amount of bill, then made a scene over this as we were about to leave. We did pay but service terrible and waitress very rude. Would not recommend this at all especially as everywhere else, everyone is so polite and drinks sorted quickly.

1  Thank judy12Crawley

Reviewed January 29, 2010

Went here during our weeks stay in Banff. Food was good, service was excellent. Being from Glasgow I've eaten a lot of very good Indian food in my time and there was nothing wrong with the meals we had in this restaurant. Food with same name was different from what you would get in Scotland, but I find this also applies throughout the UK.
Portions were big and price was on a par with other restaurants in Banff. Would eat there again.

4  Thank sagereid
Reviewed January 19, 2010

Initial impressions were fairly promising, not an authentic indian restuarant but for a commercial place like Banff, what you would expect. Service was middle of the road but the biggest problem here is the food. It's fairly certain the chef hasn't won any awards, the curries were very bland and the rice had a very strange texture to it. What makes it worse is they are asking top dollar for below standard fare, and to be honest, I wouldn't recommend this place to people I don't like let alone a friend.
One last thing, watch out for the included gratuity on the bill, I suspect if they didn't put this on, tips jar would be fairly empty.

1  Thank StainedGlassLady
Reviewed January 2, 2010

Last year we went to this restaurant and the waitress was so rude and inattentive that we walked out. This year the waitresses had changed and we thought we would give them another try. When we (me wife and daughter) got our bill, I noticed under the sales tax line was a line entitled "gratuity" which added several bucks to the price before the total. Then, when I gave my visa card the same total came back with a line beneath for me to insert a second "tip." The unwary person could easily not notice that they had already been charged for the gratuity (which arithmetic showed to be 15%) and end up paying a double tip.
To me this looks like deliberate sharp practice. There was nothing saying that a tip of 15% would be charged, and the line on the breakdown was not highlighted in anyway. As the so-called gratuity and the tip were both outside the taxed section, I think the tax authorities should check the place out. Who is really getting that first 15 %? In any case this last element of the evening symbolized the whole experience.
FIrst of all there were terrible delays and the waitresses had no time to listen or answer questions about the menu. They also managed to get greasy thumb prints on the plates, which we tried to wipe clean with the paper knapkins. Tables were not cleared when customers left, rather when a new customer came, a place was hastily made, and then the customers were told to go and sit there. The food itself when it finally came was not badly cooked, but the menu was such that you were forced to pay a lot and get things you did not want (for example biryani did not have any sauce, so you had to buy a curry or just eat a mountain of brown colored dry rice, I think it was around 20 bucks per person for the rice alone). You could not get a selection of small amounts of different side dishes, and they refused to put together a vegetarian thali, which you can get at just about any Indian restaurant I have ever been to, if you ask. A look round the restaurant at other customers showed that many of them were totally non-plussed by the peculiar menu and poor service. People are on holiday, and they go out for a good evening nosh, and then find high prices, long delays, a difficult menu, and waitresses with no time for them.
My guess is that the owner is determined to get as much as he can out of the venture and does not care whether customers are satisfied, after all most of them go home again within a week and only come once.
Any halfway decent Indian curry house could really clean up in Banff with all those Brits everywhere. As it is, this place ought to be driven out of business.

2  Thank NogsArizona
Reviewed December 9, 2009

If you're looking for a nice Indian meal while you are in Banff - prepare to be disappointed. To put it simply, this is 1 star food at 5 star prices. The butter chicken was bland and the tandoori chicken tasted like bacon! What the? Anyone who thinks the food here is good obviously hasn't tasted real Indian food before. The only thing that tasted half decent was the lamb biryani, which had a nice long strand of hair mixed in with it. When we mentioned this to the waitress, she basically accused us of having put it there, then said she would "tell the chef". That was the last we heard of it, the next time we saw her was when she brought us the bill - with a 15% tip already added! Classy. We weren't looking for a free meal or anything. A simple "sorry about that" would have done the trick. Anyway that summed up the level of service for the evening. The restaurant was well under half full but the service was woefully slow. Add to that the expensive prices and there's only one conclusion. Forget it. Go somewhere else.

1  Thank OzDennyCrane