“60 mins wait but a good meal at the end thankfully!!”
Review of Masala

Masala
Ranked #28 of 144 Restaurants in Banff
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Toronto, Canada
“60 mins wait but a good meal at the end thankfully!!”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We went despite reading the negative reviews since this is the only Indian restaurant from Jasper to Banff. The ambiance was quite nice and the server extremely friendly and polite. He gave us water right away and we ordered immediately as it was 7 PM. The restaurant was reasonably full which is always a good sign. We were in no rush so waited in a very relaxed manner. After 30 minutes I started getting restless as I saw people who had arrived with us or after us being served before us. After 40 mins I asked another server if we were going to get our food. We were told it was on thw way..50 mins..you are next..55 mins..sorry madam it is coming..finally it arrived almost exactly an hour later! At this point I was quite irritated and worried about the quality of the food when it finally arrived.

Fortunately, everything that we ordered was hot and delicious. The aloo gobi and makhani dal were good and so was the chicken tikka masala. The naan was light and the raita was tasty. The basmati rice was a bit on the dry side but we enjoyed the dinner.

Based on this visit, I would go again mentally prepared to wait an hour only if one is desperate to eat Indian food in the rockies. I had to go as my mother and aunt who are vegetarians had not had any good food for 5 days.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank seema60

Seattle, Washington
“40 minutes for dal?”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Not only did I wait 40 minutes for take out, but it was the most oily, most unusual dal I have ever seen. Absolutely not worth the $20, though the garlic naan was quite good. Give it a miss.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank RoamingTheGlobe
Lincolnshire, Illinois
“Excellent Food”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and I visited the restaurant on the 6th of July. While we waited for a few minutes, I was impressed with all the waiters at the restaurant stopping by and checking with us until a table was ready after a 10 minute wait.

Our waiter, Shobaan, was excellent. He even recommended based on our order to wait on ordering a side course as it would be too much for the both of us. Sure enough he was right.

Every waiter at the restaurant was pleasant and courteous. Very impressed with their service.

Recommendation for Masala: Considering the quality of the restaurant, I'd recommend to use cloth napkins or even good quality paper napkins as opposed to cheap paper napkins.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Ravi G
Ludhiana, India
“Family Holiday in Banff”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Great place to have authentic,very tasty Indian food buffet.Service is quick though you may have to wait for some time to find a table but its worth the wait.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank BPSGill
Chicago Suburbs, Illinois
“Delicious food, friendly and attentive service”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We really enjoyed our experience - the delicious food, the atmosphere and the friendly service. The menu was quite large, and we were surprised to see beef and buffalo. We asked for our food to be medium spicy and it was perfect. If you like Indian food, you can't go wrong by eating here.

• Visited June 2013