“I Can't Say If It's Authentic or Not, but I CAN Say It's YUMMY!”
Review of Masala

Masala
Ranked #28 of 144 Restaurants in Banff
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Jasper, Canada
“I Can't Say If It's Authentic or Not, but I CAN Say It's YUMMY!”
Reviewed November 6, 2011

I really like Indian food, but am not very familiar with it... there are no Indian restaurants where I live. So on our recent little get-away to Banff, when we drove past an Indian restaurant, after I had checked it out here on TripAdvisor and had seen that it has reasonably good reviews, it was on our "must try" list. And we were not sorry that we did!

I had the bison saag (made with pureed spinach in the sauce) and my husband, the butter chicken, with basmati rice and cheese naan. My husband ordered the "mild" butter chicken and I ordered my dinner "medium" for spiciness, but the butter chicken was a bit hotter than my meal. The bison was very tender and both meals were very tasty.

Service was good. Being the off-season, the restaurant was not that busy; there were about six tables occupied when we arrived (~ 7:30 pm), although most of them were almost finished. By the time we finished our meal, we were the only customers left in the restaurant.

The décor was fairly simple - it's a small restaurant, and there are a few Indian-themed prints up on the walls. The chair rail on the wall was quite dusty, but the washroom was clean.

If you are staying at any of the hotels of the Banff Lodging Co., they give you a book of discount coupons, which includes a 10% off coupon for Masala.

• Visited October 2011
2 Thank krp329

Toronto, Canada
“Decent food...but service not so much”
Reviewed September 26, 2011

The food was good, but definitely not authentic Indian.

We ordered the veg platter (good), dal tarka (good), butter chicken (pretty good), tandoori salmon (dry and lacking in flavour).

Overall, beware of paying highly for bad service and decent food. The compulsory 15% gratuity fee did not help.

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank dishaparekh
Laguna Beach, California
“Amazingly good, authentic Indian cuisine”
Reviewed September 20, 2011

Every time I am in Banff, I make it a point to go to Masala and have never been disappointed. I spent part of my adolescence in India, so I have eaten a lot of Indian food and I know good Indian cuisine. This IS good. The wait staff are often overworked here, however, are unfailingly polite and eager to please. I was lamenting that there was no Palak Paneer on the menu and the waiter said, "you want Palak Paneer? We can do that for you" Impressive. And the Palak Paneer was fabulous. Highly recommended. In the busy season, go early or you will be waiting.

• Visited September 2011
2 Thank EquineDoc
“Excellent Authentic Indian food!”
Reviewed September 17, 2011

After reading a few of the reviews we weren't sure about eating here. However, the food was outstanding and the service good (we did eat early before the rush). They asked if we wanted our food mild, medium or hot. This was the Indian interpretation of hot! I had the chicken madras. It was very hot but great flavours and southern Indian influenced- Curry leaves and mustard seeds etc. Would definitely reccomemend and would be very happy to have an Indian restaurant like this in our town!

1 Thank Merlin3550
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent indian - just as it should be!”
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Went to Masala on a wednesday night, no issues with service (it wasnt the quickest but at least it didn't feel like we were rushed). Had poppadums which were fine but no pickle tray, the bison kharhari, this was probably the highlight - very tender meat and very tasty sauce. Also had butter chicken which was rich and tasty, one portion of rice and one very tasty nann was plenty for 2 and both as good as I've had in most of Indians (including 2 weeks in India!). Would definitely recommend and no automatic gratuity as with other reviews.

1 Thank Grahamjenks