“Pretty good, a little expensive”

Saintt James's Gate Olde Irish Pub
Ranked #14 of 148 Restaurants in Banff
Cuisines: Irish, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Our Story Begins in Ireland Located in the heart of the Rocky Mountains, St. James's Gate, established in 1996, was built and manufactured in Dublin, Ireland. The authenticity of the imported Irish woodwork and fantastic artifacts make St. James Gate one of the premier Irish Pubs in the world. The Gate has a warm friendly atmosphere that makes you feel instantly at home. Rub shoulders with local residents and tourists from around the world. The bartenders are friendly and prepare the drinks with care and consideration and the staff proves just what a capable & fun group of servers is worth. It's everything an Irish Pub should be.
Reviewed August 19, 2014

We stopped in for dinner, sat at the bar. I ordered the fish and chips which were better than average. Service was prompt and courteous with some good suggestions on what to order etc. overall a nice dinner, in a nice atmosphere. If I had a complaint I'd say the beer and alcohol were overpriced but that might just be the area in general.

There are newer reviews for Saintt James's Gate Olde Irish Pub

Reviewed August 17, 2014

Our first dinner in Banff, we were both very hungry and ready to plan out our trip.

The food was delicious and very quick to come out.

Overall, it was the server that made the experience amazing. She was an excellent, attentive server but to top it off she told us all about the various places to go and gave us tips and tricks to beat the rush and avoid the tourist traps.

Reviewed August 15, 2014

A 'genuine' Irish-built bar in the heart of Banff. Best service you could get at a pub in town. They have an impressive selection of pacific nw brews at reasonable prices. Not many bars carry Rogue, but they do.

Reviewed August 13, 2014

I was walking around Banff at lunchtime, not sure where I was going to eat, when I noticed St James Gate and thought I'd give it a try. I knew, as soon as I saw the menu, that I was almost certainly going to get a good meal. Shepherds pie was listed made with lamb. That is the only authentic way to make this dish, yet so many restaurants make it with ground beef. I asked the bartender if he'd recommend the sausages, as a good sausage is one of my favorite meals. He said they were very good, and made locally in Canmore. So I ordered them, together with a pint of the Calgary produced Traditional ale. The beer was excellent, and the sausages and mash, when the meal came, was even better. The sausages had a wonderful herby flavour, the mash was perfect, and the gravy was not too salty but was quite delicious. The vegetables - green beans and broccholi - were perfectly cooked. Great service and a wonderful meal. Now that's a place to which I'll return

Reviewed August 12, 2014

Fantastic atmosphere since it was a pub built in Ireland, taken down and shipped to Banff, where it was reassembled. The food was terrific (shepard's Pie, steak and Guiness pie) and the beer tasty. The live music was nice in the background. Service was pleasant, though aloof. I wish the lighting was a little brighter.