“Loved the Mexican Food”
Review of Magpie & Stump

Magpie & Stump
Reserve with OpenTable
Magpie & Stump is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #36 of 148 Restaurants in Banff
Cuisines: Mexican, International, Canadian
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed March 27, 2014

We had an awesome dip with chorizos as well as a great guacamole dip. I had tacos which were awesome and my husband had what he called the "best burger around" with a little kick to it. I wanted to go back again.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

I have eaten in Banff more than 100 times. Find lately that when I am with a group of adults, we often come to the Stump because it is the devil we know. In a tourist place, you can get all types of places including those that can survive just by ripping off newcomers. The Stump has been in business at least 30 years by my reconning and it gets a good portion of local traffic. The peanuts are free and you can throw the shells on the floor just like the fad 20 years ago. It might be playing games, but I was surprised to see this place ranked below half the restaurants in Banff, so I gave it an excellent rating, instead of the 4/5 I would have given otherwise. It is a little tough to walk in the place when it is busy because the tables are packed in there, but that must speak to something about the value to fill it up.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

Yummy food here. And I love that you drink out of jars. Very modern yet Mexican antique. Great decor and very friendly staff.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

Loved the ambience, but the food was just so-so. Nice waitress, reasonable prices. Great bar area. Convenient location with parking readily available

Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

The atmosphere was nice, looks like a fun place to sit and have a few drinks. We went for lunch, the prices were high (but to be expected in Banff). We ordered the full order of nachos (and it was extra to add absolutely anything including tomatoes and jalapeños). We got our order pretty quickly and our server was pleasant. The serving size was very big (bonus)! But the flavor was lacking. It was bland, and if not for the hot sauce on the table it would have been like eating with your nose plugged. I also found it weird that there was no salt and pepper on the tables. Overall, 3 stars and that's because the waitress was nice and the size of the plate was big.