“Worth a try. Tex Mex, not Mexican”
Review of Magpie & Stump

Magpie & Stump
Reserve with OpenTable
Magpie & Stump is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 148 Restaurants in Banff
Cuisines: Mexican, International, Canadian
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 12, 2013

My wife and had lunch here. The menu is typical Tex Mex with nothing remarkable. If you love Tex Mex, this may be the only place in Banff so don’t expect to be blown away. Decent food, and not as expensive as other restaurants in Banff.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Food was excellent and reasonably priced. Service was courteous and speedy. Would easily recommend this restaurant to anyone who likes mexican food.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

When we first entered I was a bit leary as it was dark and old looking, but when you sit down you realize it is really not as bad looking as I thought. Our server was very friendly and our food did not take long to arrive. I had chicken quesadilla's and my husband had beef. My grand daughter had tacos. All of our meals were very good and quite filling. I would definitely return to this restaurant.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

My husband and I used to frequent this restaurant when we lived in Alberta 33 years ago. It was very nostalgic for us to return after all these years and we found it to be bigger but still the same fun, casual, not too expensive place with good Tex/Mex food. The restaurant was full the night we were there and the kitchen became very backed up so the food took a long time. The manager came around and apologized but we were okay. We were enjoying our margaritas and the fun atmosphere of the restaurant. We had some delicious appetizers which kept us happy until the main course finally arrived. As is usually the case with Mexican food, the portions are ample and we thoroughly enjoyed our food. There is a reason that they have stayed in business for over 33 years - it's a good restaurant.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

I grew up in Texas so I am very familiar with Mexican food. Unlike Tex-Mex restaurants in Texas, Magpie & Stump did not serve complimentary chips and salsa. When we asked, the waiter did give us peanuts to snack on. The ice tea was sweet and the waiter did brew some fresh tea for us which was unsweetened. My girl friend wanted the burrito without the tortilla but with extra vegetables which was prepared correctly, but someone forgot to bring us the salad and waffle fries which come with the burrito dish. We also forgot about it until we left the restaurant. I had fish tacos which were tasty except for the rice which was crunchy rather than soft. Compared to Tex-Mex restaurants in Texas, this was an average restaurant. El Toro or Coyote Grill in Banff have two or three Mexican dishes, and are better restaurants, but Magpie & Stump’s menu has the largest selection of Mexican dishes in Banff. My girl-friend liked it because it had free peanuts, it was cozy and casual, and the waiter was friendly. She rates it a 4 out of 5.