“A different dining experience - still fun!”

Grizzly House Restaurant
Ranked #31 of 148 Restaurants in Banff
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Fondue, cooking done at table on hot stones. Absolutely the best interactive dining with great food. Exotic foods such as elk, bison, venison, alligator, rattlesnake--plus chicken and beef!
Reviewed June 6, 2014

This was my first visit to Banff so when my boyfriend suggested we go to Grizzly house, I was all in. The location is great, as it is located right in the heart of downtown. We were able to sit at a table right at the front of restaurant, with a view of the mountains and the tourists walking the street. This part of the restaurant has much better lighting than the back part. I found the price to be a bit high for what you get, but the experience was still fun. It was a relaxing, slow meal which we loved because it was our first night in Banff. No rush, no bother. We had the vegetable fondue, which was a bit on the salty side. We used the hot rocks instead of the oil fondue for our meat - which was really different and to my surprise, cooked the meat perfectly! We ended with chocolate fondue with fruits. No complaints on there. Our waitress was very nice and helpful - she explained the menu in full detail and with each fondue gave us a little run down on what to expect, how to cook certain things, for how long etc. I appreciated that :) I would recommend Grizzly House to anyone who is looking for a different dining experience in Banff. They also have lots of other options on your menu!

1  Thank Cynthia L
Write a ReviewReviews (1,779)

Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

My husband wanted to try the exotic meat fondue, which he enjoyed! The meal was great tasting. A little to expensive, as you yourself do all the cooking, even the meat, at your table over fondue pots. What annoyed me, was the loud people and the phones ringing. Every table had a phone & people can phone each other's tables. And if people who have been drinking or small children, get on those phones then they start calling everybody & it's just annoying if you are trying to have a nice quiet dinner.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

I looked on-line at their menu and thought that this would be a great place to eat. When we arrived the tables for two were the worst. You were sitting under a bar type thing that had an over hang to your table. If you were not paying attention you could bump into it. I asked the waiter for a better table but he could have cared less. This is it take it or leave it. The place was so dark I had asked for a flashlight in order to read the menu. This could have been due to the awful place our table had been located. In looking at the wine list, if you wanted the crap of all wines you could order it by the glass. If you wanted a good wine then you had to order a bottle at extravagant prices. I mentioned this to the disinterested waiter who basically could not have cared less. My friend and I got up and left and went to a better restuarant.

I talked to a local who told me their pricing was outrageous but is is all for the tourist.

3  Thank hazcat1
Reviewed May 31, 2014

After hearing all the great reviews , we were excited to eat here ! I love fondue , there was four girls and shared . The cheese fondue was not very good as the wine they use in it over powered the cheese, the veggie fondue was in a delicious broth but not many veggies for sharing, we had the steak and lobster , scallops and shrimp all really good but only got one hot stone , so it made it very difficult for four people to cook. The staff was good only saw our waiter a few times. I think the portions would not be enough for my husband and my friends agreed that they wouldn't be for their husbands either. The Grizzly house in my opinion is average and I would go back but maybe try something other than the fondue.

Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Restaurant was ok had that BBQ smell as soon as u walked in. Place maintained the same decor from the 80's when it apparently used to be a swingers bar. Assortment of meats were vast from alligator to rattle snake. 8 oz is quite filling if you ask me but for 100$ for two id rather eat at an upscale restaurant.