“The Good, The Bad and the Just Plain Awful”

Melissa's Restaurant and Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Melissa's Restaurant and Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 148 Restaurants in Banff
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I'll try to end in a positive note because Melissas has some redeeming qualities.

So let's start with the bad news.

The sign outside the restaurant reads "Melissa's Missteak" and it actually hits quite close to home.

I've been here many times before and found the $7 steak sandwich to be extremely agreeable and so when I had some money to splurge decided to treat myself and my girlfriend to some proper expensive steak from Melissas... oh what a missteak that was.

I ordered the 10oz Ribeye Steak with peppercorn sauce... what a disaster. The taste of the steak was about as flat as the prairies and the peppercorn sauce was nothing short of putrid.

If my steak was a disaster my girlfriends steak was a Greek tragedy, granted she ordered it medium rare but it was cold and it resembled something more along the lines of the entrails of a pigeon than a 30 dollar piece of Grade A Alberta Beef.

So that was my first and last dining room experience I'll be having at Melissa's... I will never make that missteak again.

Now to the good.

The upstairs bar is neat, pool table (though be prepared to play pool like the movie 300, you'll see what I mean if you go there) cheap PBR's and most important of all FREE POPCORN!

I cannot stress this enough, if you're looking for a good night out, get yourself to the Mels bar upstairs, grab a PBR and get your fill of free popcorn, they sometimes also have live music, but avoid the dining room at all costs.

1  Thank Morkal
Write a ReviewReviews (1,720)

Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

First time to Melissa's: We were completely satisfied & would recommend it to anyone looking to dine in Banff.....Good Food, great service & value for money!
Keep it up!

2  Thank zucc999
Reviewed January 24, 2013

this place for brekkie, lunch or tea is possibly the best place for home cooking. Eat here 6 years ago and has the same quality now

3  Thank RjColey
Reviewed January 24, 2013

What can I say, the choice of stak was good, Fillet Mignon, T-Bones, New York Strip, Rib Eye, Sirloin

Cooked to perfection, friendly service, delicious food. Not much more to say really.

1  Thank paul.ebsworth
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We enjoyed two excellent visits to Melissas this trip to Banff, the food, service, atmosphere was great and our waitress had a great sense of humour. A visit to Melissas is a must for any trip.Highly recommended.

1  Thank PLM47