“Opa! Good dinner and a surprise to find nice Greek food outside of Athens!”
Review of Balkan Restaurant

Balkan Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 148 Restaurants in Banff
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Started with a fun cocktail with cherries - yum. Cheese flamed tableside and tasty hummis with herbed flatbread. My entree - 'moose' aka :) was good and my friend's lamb shank nearly got my hand stabbed...that was the best down to the juices!! Thankfully, he shared! Service was a little slow....waitress stopped just shy of our table and stood talking to the other table for over 5 minutes while we watched the ice melt in our drinks. Then she wasn't able to locate a machine for the credit card when we asked to pay the bill. Food was quite good..and little kinks manageable. If you feel like Greek...go for it!

There are newer reviews for Balkan Restaurant

Reviewed September 2, 2013

3 of us ate at this restaurant. We all thought the food was wonderful. My kids loved their vegetarian/fish dishes and my chicken souvlaki dish was totally yummy, tender and not overspiced. The service was excellent without being pushy. Waiter was very patient and helped guide us in our selections. Nice upscale (but not pretentious) atmosphere and for Banff prices, I thought this place was pretty fair. Highly recommended. Would return if I could.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

It was the best Greek food I've had in a while, the service was great and the atmosphere was amazing, will return!

1  Thank Doug982
Reviewed August 30, 2013

First time we went for lunch, was very good (I rate it 4 / 5):
- Tomato & white bean soup delicious (& spicy)
- Donar pita sandwich delicious
- Wife liked greek grilled cheese sandwich
- Portions just right, prices reasonable.
- Service good

We went for dinner another day, just to get completely disappointed (I rate it 2 / 5):
- Quantity: Prices are high, yet portions are too small, especially for a greek restaurant. A greek restaurant portions must be bigger. There has to be enough potatoes and rice. I had a pricey entree (they claim it's their specialty) and all I had was 2 slivers of potatoe and 2 spoonfuls of rice. Wife's Greek pork ribs were all bones and very little meat.
- Quality: Potatoes were dry (yest, those 2 slivers), and the rice was bland, no taste. Meat (beef shank) was OK. Wife's Greek pork ribs were not tasty either.
- Price: Too high for the little you get. Uncharacteristic of a Greek restaurant.
- Service: Waitress was good, no problems with her
- The host really irritated me, there were many empty dining room tables available the whole time that we ate and I could see them, yet he sat us in an uncomfortable bar table as we didn't have a reservation. He just put me in a bad mood from the beginning, ruining the dining experience.
- They cramped the entrance that is already small by putting miscellaneous items and you have to manouver through them, when entering and when going to washroom. Another annoyance. Very uncomfortable.

1  Thank occasionaltraveler91
Reviewed August 25, 2013

And when we complained about this we were told by manager they are sorry but they can't do anything about it. It's the restaurant policy to use same glasses for serving pencil crayons to kids that they use to serve drinks, even if they clearly look dirty with crayons marks.

Parents who care about kids hygiene should Stay Away from this restaurant. Rest beware of extremely rude manager.

3  Thank Samer A
balkanbanff, Owner at Balkan Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We sincerely apologize for the crayon marks on the children's cup. We never intentionally use crayon cups for drinking cups. One was erroneously mixed up and we failed to catch it. There is no excuse for that and we've changed our crayon container system to ensure our crayon containers will never be accidentally mixed up with our beverage containers again. Our sanitary technicians have also been instructed to do a better job of inspecting children's beverage cups to ensure that they haven't been used as a canvas by overzealous aspiring artists. Hygiene is always a huge priority at the Balkan for all of our guests. All of our glassware, flatware and plates are completely sanitized every time they are used and should be completely spotless, always.

Again, apologies.