“Loved it that much, we're coming back in May '09” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Fox Hotel & Suites
Ranked #13 of 32 Hotels in Banff
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Loved it that much, we're coming back in May '09”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Fox for 3nights on the first leg of our 'Rockies Experience', first impressions excellent everything I would expect from a mountain type lodge. We had changed to the Fox from the hotel that had been booked on the recommendation of our tour operator from reading many of the reviews. It really does what it says on the 'Tin', I've read many of the negatives of which come down to the air conditioning units, which are of no fault to the hotel but of the manufacturer. We had slight trouble figuring out how to use it, to us it was that minor we didn't even thing about until reading some of the negative reviews we've since read. We certainly wouldn't think of anywhere else to stay in Banff & we've booked again to stay at the Fox for 9nights in May in a suite this time as we are bringing along my mum.HIghly recommend this hotel to anyone of any age.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Springermad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
cambridge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2009

First impressions of the hotel were great with a warm open foyer area. The washrooms were impressive with everything being automated and the cave theme hot tub with its open roof is fantastic. The main reason we went to the Fox though was to eat at Chilli's resturant with its very welcoming and efficient staff. We ate at Chilli's more than once eating, bottomless tostada chips and salsa, veggie burger, beef burgers and salad all absolutely lovely. Fresh ingredients, freshly cooked and well seasoned. Washed down with the local Molsen beer or one of thier superb cocktails, perfect after a good days skiing. I particularly liked the 'Presidente Margarita' served without salt because thats the way I liked it. From what we could see I could honestly say this is one of the better places to eat, drink and sleep in Banff.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank flyingsucks
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2009

Booked into the Fox based on reviews here and haven't been disappointed - still here !

One bedroom suite perfect for family with two under tens, Layout was an upside down loft with bedroom downstairs, great from a noise point of view. The bedroom is nicely decorated with two doubles so throw the kids in one bed once asleep and relax in the living room above. Same comments on noisy heating as another, the heater in the living room is like one of those old ac units below a window in a crappy motel and just as loud.

Breakfast good in Chilis, staff friendly, 'cave and basin' hot tub very nice and really couldn't fault the hotel and will no doubt return.

The one bed suites can also link through the kitchen so would be great for two families to stay.

Would recommend highly as the perfect stay in Banff, deserves its no1 spot

Rob

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank OmanRob
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2009

My wife & I stayed shared a 2 bedroom suite at the Fox Hotel with another couple for a week-long ski trip - and it was a fantastic choice. The service was wonderful (particularly the front-desk staff who were friendly and knowledgeable about local attractions & restaurants) and the suite was spacious and clean. Additionally, they do not charge you for "extras" such as breakfast, parking & Internet access, which was nice. The hotel is about a 10 minute walk to downtown Banff where most of the shops and restaurants are located - but there is a bus stop right outside the hotel. The most unique aspect to the hotel is the heated pool/hot tub, which has an amazing architecture to it. Highly Recommended!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank FlipKey_Eric
Calgary, Alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2009

Overall, the Fox Hotel was excellent. I spent three nights in one of the superior suites for a quick getaway from the hustle and bustle in Calgary.

The free underground parking was great, I did have some difficulty finding my way up to the lobby from the parking lot though. A few confusing signs.

Just a few other minor complaints...
There was a bit of a mess in one of the closets, as if someone had swept up and then just hid the dirt in the closet. The coffee pot and electric kettle also needed a cleaning.
The heating system was extremely loud. It would click in about every ten minutes, completely interrupting any relaxation.

As well, I could hear every single movement in the room above me in the late and early hours. They sure liked pushing around chairs loudly at 7 o'clock in the morning!

I also managed to set off my room's smoke detector by making toast, it wasn't even burned, I just think the detectors are a little touchy. Great for safety, terrible when making toast at 6am.

Other than the above... Fox Hotel and Suites was a great place for a quick getaway. It's a little on the pricey side, but the rooms are gorgeous. The atmosphere of the place was very relaxed, but the employees seemed helpful. Room service from the Chili's downstairs was quick, and delicious.

While parked in the downstairs lot, the workers even cleaned my vehicles windows and mirrors! Nice touch.

I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking to spend a couple days tooling around Banff National Park.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Hoper91
London, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2009

I booked the hotel through a UK travel agent, so wasn't sure what to expect. My boyfriend and I found the Fox to be in a great location, and the ski bus to the slopes is a 30 second walk from reception. Our room was really comfortable with an en-suite bathroom and large TV. An added bonus was that it had a safe and was cleaned daily.

There is also the hot bath/pool in the basement to look forward to after a long day skiing, as well as a sauna and a gym. The restaurant Chilis was also very good, although the breakfast did not vary at all in the week we were there, and could have done with some bacon and eggs but otherwise very good! I'd also recommend the chicken wings as a starter for supper in the restaurant, very good.

The staff are friendly and helpful, and the centre of town is a 5-10 minute walk away. I'd really recommend staying here, and it's also the newest hotel in town so everything works and it clean!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank barney789
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2009

We stayed in suite 217 from the 21st Feb to 3rd March 2009. (fox staff i want some freebie when i return for such a good review :)) It really is a great hotel!

Firstly I'll address the negatives or almost negatives as I think sometimes people complain without consideration for common sense sometimes:

Noisy heating aircon - Reading other reviews its clear some people find the heating system a bit of a negative. I experienced a mild irritation with the aircon unit kicking in throughout the night even when in OFF mode. After asking hotel reception what could be done they informed me engineering would look at adjusting the settings. NOTE: The issue is not a problem with the unit, its a manufacturers setting to keep the unit from freezing up in extreme cold weather. Aircon units have components that contain fluids. If they freeze the unit breaks and then you really will have something to complain about as you will be cold. It was at its most annoying when the temperature was -21c one night but after asking reception I think engineering adjusted it so it didnt cut in so often.

Noisy rooms/guests : The only noise we experienced that really annoyed us was the sound of guests clomping up and down the stairs in the suites next to us. The weekends seem to be peak times for the hotel and the suites filled up with groups sharing.
I think if/when the hotel next refurb's it should invest in better sound proofing on the stairs and walls to ensure less noise between rooms.

Those are the only negatives about our stay at the fox and we didnt bother complaining about the noise of the next door guests as I'm guessing we were just as loud when we were getting ready to go skiing etc etc. Also we were so tired from all the skiing that I think we'd have slept thru a full on party!

Oh one other thing; the locks for the ski lockers are really annoying twisty combination clockwise- anticlockwise things which I just couldnt get the hang of all holiday. Had to leave that to my girlfriend lol

The positives:

The Fox really is a great hotel. Our first trip to Banff was awesome and I think the Fox made it a really rewarding stay as after a hard day on the mountain it was a haven to return to!

Rooms: Luckily we got a cheap upgrade to a suite when we checked in. I'd definately take the upgrade again as I think the standard rooms really would have been too small to swallow 2 adults with 4 suitcases and other holiday junk you accumulate during a vacation. The suites were well equipped and kept really clean and tidy. The room lockbox/safe was also a great feature as it was big enough to swallow a macbook pro!
Coffee machine, microwave, fridge and 2 LCD tv's both with 50 channels but never anything decent to watch except ice hockey much to my girlfriends annoyance :)
Also if you go for a suite dont get a courtyard one! I'm so pleased our room had a stunning view of the mountains. So nice to wake up every day and see the beauty of the outdoors! Oh and the beds really are comfy, such an important feature of any hotel.
Oops, one more thing: high speed internet. Its free and a god send! So nice to have it ready and waiting. So many hotels make you pay a fortune! Refreshing!

Staff: super friendly, informative and responsive. Great!

Chillis restaurant/bar - Great, very handy and big screens for watching sport or having a quietish drink

Hot-tub/spa - so cool. Especially when its snowing and you are in the hot water.

Location: about a 10 minute walk into the centre of Banff. Wrap up warm as it can be a cold walk lol. Its a nice walk as it takes you past most of the hotels on Banff avenue so you get to check them out and realise you did make the wise choice by booking the Fox!

Value: Well you get what you pay for. Definately not a budget option but sooo worth it!
I'd definately stay there again and would also recommend it without a doubt!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple