“Superb”
Review of Fox Hotel & Suites

Fox Hotel & Suites
Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Banff
Reviewed February 11, 2009

Cant fault anything, heated underground parking, great rooms(we got upgraded to a suite for a few dollars more), superb hot tub, free wi-fi, Good cheap food at the inhouse restaurant Chilli's, very helpful staff, 10 minutes walk from town. Rooms are very modern, nice plasma screens on walls, down duvets

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank gossoWales
There are newer reviews for Fox Hotel & Suites

Reviewed February 8, 2009

I was looking for a great place to have a relaxing weekend while the children were looking forward to a great weekend of snowboarding. The hotel staff were very courteous and we were very impressed with the room. The hotel is a few block away from the main shopping area, however the free bus pass given by the hotel and with frequent bus times made it work really well. The heated underground parking with lockers available for the snowboards were a nice amenity. The continental breakfast was spectacular with no one in my party walking away hungry. This hotel is truly worth your stay on your next trip to Banff.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
5  Thank excellant
Reviewed January 29, 2009

We stayed at the Fox Hotel for 5 days in a suite. The frontdesk staff were very friendly and helpful at all times. The frontdesk staff walked us around the hotel to show us a couple of different rooms. The first room she showed us was a small room with a queen size bed. The second room was a suite with king bed in the bedroom and a kitchenette in the sitting area with a fireplace.

The hotel is very country looking inside and out with the wood finishes and colors. The hotel has heated underground parking which was wonderful to have since it was very cold. There is a restaurant on site which serves a free continental breakfast to all guests staying at the hotel each morning. The breakfast consists of bagels, toast, muffins, biscuits, waffles, yogourt, a variety of fresh fruit and berries and cereals.

The hot tub is a must see at this hotel. It looks like the interior of a cave and you feel like your in the hot springs, it's very relaxing. While sitting in the hot tub you can look up and see the sky and feel the fresh air.

The Fox is very close to downtown, about 4 or 5 blocks. Restaurants are close by and a spa next door. When I go back to Banff I will stay at the Fox Hotel, it has everything I need.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
5  Thank Another_Excursion
Reviewed January 29, 2009

The hotel feels and looks new or at least recently refurbished and the staff very helpful, however the layout of the hotel is such the the walk to the lifts involves using a mezzanine open to the elements to get the lift down to reception and the restaurant. I am sure in the warmer weather this is lovely, however in January it was not pleasant, luckily for us the weather was only in the low minus figures, what it must have been like in the double minus figures I can't imagine. Also with people walking past your window you weren't able to have the blinds open very often so natural daylight was limited..... this is just a heads up as nothing we read in any of the brochures mentioned this.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank firsttimes
Reviewed January 27, 2009

This was the 5th and last hotel of our Canadian trip and it was definately a case of saving the best for last. From the minute we walked into reception I loved it. The reception area was warm, welcoming and quite stunning in its decor. A waterfall tumbled over rocks and formed a little stream on one side of the area and a roaring log fire surrounded by comfortable settees took up the opposite wall.

We were warmly welcomed at reception and, although we were booked on a room only basis we were given breakfast vouchers for the week with an extra voucher for the Keg at the Caribou Hotel up the road.

The rooms were situated round a large courtyard with a huge well shaped opening in the centre. Looking down the opening you could see the hot springs beneath with people sitting around the edge. Later on in the week it snowed a little and I sat down here up to my neck in lovely hot water watching the snow drift down through the opening.

Our suite opened off the courtyard directly and you entered into a lounge area with television, settee, TV chair and two coffee tables. The flat screen TV was sitting on a long side board offering more drawer storage underneath. A tall cupboard provided clothes hanging space and an iron and board. The far corner housed a sink, fridge, toaster, kettle, coffee percolator, cutlery, dishes and a microwave but no cooker. Tea towels, tea bags, coffee, sugar and powdered milk were all provided.

Going through to the bedroom we came across the biggest bed yet. I was starting to get used to the size of beds in Canada but this took my breath away. I have danced on smaller dance floors! Also in the bedroom was a very well lit vanity area with washbasin (great for putting on make-up), another television on yet another storage area and a wardrobe with wire shelves. No shortage of storage space then. The spacious bathroom off the bedroom had the usual shower over the bath and a wall cabinet but no wash basin.

We ate in the restaurant that first evening and enjoyed our meal. The menu if I remember correctly was of the fast food/pub grub variety and the portions more than sufficient for our small appetites. Next morning I was surprised to find that the "continental breakfast" was a lovely buffet of cereals, fruit juices, cold meats, cheeses and bread and pastries. (I have stayed in hotels where Continental breakfast was one croissant and tea/coffee). We took up the offer of breakfast at the Keg later in the week and although it provided the cooked options, eggs, bacon etc we found the choice and quantity at the Fox was more than sufficient for our needs.

We tried to eat at a different place every night and although we ate well at the Keg one evening (my 60th birthday) the best meal of all and the most memorable was at The Grizzly House 207 Banff Avenue. This restaurant specialises in fondu and hot stone cooking and as well as steak and chicken you can have venison, buffalo, frog, shark, caribou, elk, alligator, ostrich, rattlesnake and a host of other things. Great value was the complete fondu dinner. For around $50 a head you get a starter of soup or salad, cheese and bread or vegetable fondu, main course from a comprehensive list and finally, to die for, a chocolate fondu with melted Toblerone and fresh fruit. I'm salivating all over again at the very memory. There are fun phones at the tables so you can phone other diners and a selection of souvenirs of your experience. Don't miss it!

But back to the Fox Inn. I didn't use the internet access point (when I'm on holiday I keep away from phones and other reminders of duties) but I did use the fantastic hot springs mentioned earlier, jaccuzi, meandering stream and waterfalls all graced the artificial cave as well as a sauna for total relaxation.

The staff were always coureous and helpful especially our breakfast server who was able to answer my queries about Banff. Everything was spotlessly clean and I would have no hesitation in recomending this hotel to anyone except maybe someone who likes to be in the centre of things as it was a ten minute walk along the road to the main shopping area. We hired a car and found the parking under the hotel easily accessible with plenty of room (in September).

The holiday was a 60th birthday present from my husband and he couldn't have chosen a better place. Roll on my 70th birthday!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank MorayTraveljunkie
Reviewed January 19, 2009

Please pay attention to negative reviews relating to hotel problems. Why doesn't management be pro-active in preventing these problems and not have to expect their guests to have to be inconvenienced and have to complain? We had the "noisy heating / ventilation system" and there were "drunk people (singing up to 3am) and loud patrons" leaving the hotel we guess from the restaurant.

I'm sure our review will get another "management response" like other negative reviews we have read, but basic customer service involves being pro-active and preventing the problems in the first place. Management needs to look back on complaints and fix them, not "respond to them" in a way that "faults" the guest - not very smart ! For example: maybe every guest needs to be shown the heating /air conditioning "special operating procedures" and other "comfort options" when they check in. Maybe management needs to set and enforce a quiet time between 11pm and 6am. The front desk is right next to the front entrance and restaurant! If concerned, they would tell the drunks to be quiet!

Maybe you will be lucky and have a good experience, maybe not. If not, you have paid a lot of money for a bad experience.

The best thing we did like about the hotel was that our room was clean and tidy and we had parking below the hotel, which was convenient.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
5  Thank volunteer47
beautifulbanff, General Manager at Fox Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2009

We at The Fox Hotel & Suites are very confident that we work in a pro-active manner to ensure guest satisfaction.

I have yet to come up with a solution to preventing noise before it happens; this is something that we will continue to deal with on an as needed basis. We do enforce our quiet hour, and call for security when need be.

As for the heating/air conditioning system, we feel that there is only a small percentage of our guests that are confused as to how to operate it. Again, we will assist these guests as they require it. To be 'proactive' and to give a lesson at check in on how to operate a thermostat, would be redundant for most.

We will contine to pay attention to all guest feedback, brainstorming as a team on ways to improve upon our great service and product.

I do appreciate your opinion, and will share your concerns with our team.

Reviewed January 13, 2009

We were there for a Christmas 2008 ski holiday with our family. Wonderful Hotel. Warm and Friendly staff, Great front desk and concierge. Great food in restaurant and great apres ski drinks. We had a great Premium suite and we saw the fireworks on New Year's Eve , from our room!!!!
Wonderful beds, no back problems(I tend to have that if I get bad beds). Wonderful pillows and great housekeeping. I actually asked the hotel manager for recommendations of pillows and mattress.
Brilliant hot spa/tub with change room right next door. Everything is so thoughtful and convenient.
Underground parking with ski locker!!! Walking distance to shopping. Shuttle bus at the door.

We have been to many hotels and resorts all over Canada and this is the one that we will recommend for Banff.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family