“Cozy and Charming!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 32 Hotels in Banff
Gardena, California
“Cozy and Charming!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

My family and I along with 75 of our friends took a group trip to Calgary, Canada last Sept 2012 and stayed at Fox Hotel & Suites at Banff. This trip was so much fun and memorable. Not only did we pack this hotel with our friends everywhere but we had a mishap where we had to be evacuated from our suite into another one because of the fire sprinkler from one of my friend's room setting off and flooding our room.
This place had a barn, rustic, wooden decor. Very cozy and charming from the inside and out. Our room was a 2 story suite although small in size it's comfortable. It has a full size pull out sofa and 2 queen beds downstairs. This hotel has an elevator service from the parking garage to the lobby. I actually requested a lobby level room so that I don't have to pull luggage around. Next time, I will want to request a room just outside of the lobby instead of the rooms around back and also take a 2 bedrooms instead of 1.They have a cave like sauna and hot tub, parking is so accessible and they have an onsite Chili's restaurant for all of us to eat, drink and hang out. Breakfast is included and the staff is very friendly and patient. The hotel is located so close to downtown Banff that you can actually walk it.
My family and I plan to go back here again because there are so many things to do that 4 days is not enough. I will definitely recommend this place if you're looking for something affordable but yet upscale enough to accommodate a family of 5.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank rubyj728

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Napanee, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

I cannot say enough good things about my recent stay at the Fox! I was so fortunate as to have had a corner suite which offered two stupendous views, one from a roomy balcony c/w french doors leading to it (it also had perfectly comfortable chairs and a little table for convenience) and the other from what I would call the dining room (as I put the table and chairs under that window rather than by the kitchenette, so when eating in, there just couldn't be much better of a backdrop than the mountain view!). Gas fireplace completed the cozy factor, bedroom was very spacious and the bed was extremely comfortable. Two tv's available - one in living room area, other in bedroom. Great selection of channels available. Vault in hall closet available. Everything one could think of needing or wanting was there. If I had any kind of complaints, they would be as insignificant as there being only one ice machine (at least that I'm aware of) on the lower level and/or the manoeuvrability in the underground park-ade however any parking garages I've been in, in Banff, have the same issue, tight. Otherwise, an AMAZING place to stay. The hot tub/spa is great - I think a swimming pool would be nice as well if there was space for one. The change rooms for the spa are excellent as well. Laundry facility c/w computer is great. Proximity to downtown is perfect, lobby and Chillis Restaurant are wonderfully done, breakfasts were GREAT, staff was friendly and helpful and I will most certainly return there whenever I can!!

Room Tip: Corner suite is the best!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Fran463
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

We had a brilliant time here at the fox - as we were on our honeymoon, our kind bridesmaid had informed the hotel and they left us a lovely note with a lovely bottle of wine. A really kind touch. The room was cosy, clean and had a brilliant view of the mountain across the road. Stunning! The hotel also had a very cool grotto/hot springs area which was great after a day of exploring. We would definitely recommend this hotel and send a massive thank you to the staff for making us feel so welcome.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Katherine R
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

Stayed here end of may. Hotel is a short walk into town. Reception, bar area & foyer well appointed. Our group of 6 adults arrived in evening. Staff seemed a little frazzled with the amount of luggage we had (2 bags each) . No official bell boy but check in manager moved luggage to our rooms, which made up for his very poor attitude when we checked in. Pleased to say he was quite nice in days to follow. Room we were allocated was 1 br suite but sadly the bedroom was 1 level down some very steep & narrow stairs. Room upstairs a bit small for 3 adults. We were moved to a single level room when asked and this was a great room with separate sitting & kitchenette . Bedroom had a great view of the mountains and street in front. Beds were very comfortable & cleaning staff were very good and friendly unlike our Montreal experience .

Hotel has its own mineral spa which was great after a long day out. Chillis restaurant & bar is a great place to hang out after the long days, cocktails were good with great service. Jennifer provided really friendly service...which saved the day after our less than welcome check in experience.

Breakfast is very good, with a good selection of continental goodies, waffles were great BUT the best part was the excellent service provided by the breakfast staff especially the man from Perth, Ryan I think. You guys were exceptional... Thank you for making us feel welcome n at home.

Safeways is a 7 min walk into town, town centre is a comfortable n pretty 10 min walk.
Hotel has its own coin operated laundry for guest, which great when staying here for a few nights.

I would be very comfortable in returning to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask if your suite is all one level as corner rooms have steep narrow stairs down to the dark bedroom...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ray1414
Sherwood Park, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

My family and I spent 3 nights in at The Fox mid week in early June, our stay was great. The Room: a Superior One bedroom- two level suite with bottom floor consisting of 2 double beds & bathroom, & a flat screen TV, it was a comfortable room for my wife & 2 small children. The upper floor consisted of a modest kitchenette (Fridge, sink, microwave, & coffee maker), this turned out to be a necessity for us and our 3 & not yet 1 year old (glad we upgraded). The upper floor also consisted of a dining table & chairs, a hide-a-bed sofa, & flat screen TV; very cozy but adequate size, clean, & well cared for. Amenities: the Fox was well equipped for any type of stay; small Gym, underground parking, beautiful Lobby, & best if all "The Cave"... a fantastic Hot pool with a cave theme that our entire family thoroughly enjoyed (definite highlight). Eats: Chilies Restraunt was the spot that offered a great lounge & dining area, huge big screen for the hockey game and friendly accommodating staff. The Chilies also hosted the daily complementary continental breakfast, that offered your typical pastries, cereal, fruit, boiled eggs, & juice; but the great perk on the menu was the make your own waffle station.
Overall I would highly recommend the Fox for any type of stay; staff was great, location perfect walking distance from most Banff townsite has to offer (2-3 blocks away from the heart of Banff ave), pool was brilliant, & rooms were modern, clean, adequate. The price was comparable to the rest of Banff options, not great but competitive.
Thank you Fox for the great family getaway!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ipc78
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

The Fox is a wonderful hotel with beautifully appointed rooms, conveniently located near downtown, a lovely breakfast included at the hotel restaurant, as well as a beautiful, unique, grotto style hot tub. My room was initially located in an isolated area of the hotel. Since, I am recently widowed, I mentioned that I was not comfortable in such an isolated room. The hotel manager was quick to rectify this, by moving me to a more central location which I preferred. I was delighted, also, that my room was upgraded to a two bedroom suite. I will definitely stay at the Fox, again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank srlebert
beautifulbanff, General Manager at Fox Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thanks for sharing your experience! I am delighted to hear you enjoyed all the Fox has to offer. I'm also pleased to hear we were able to accomodate your needs and upgrade you to a suite you were more comfortable in. Our goal is provide accomodations and service that our guests rave about. It's great to see we've succeeded with you!
Perth
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

Nice place friendly staff but the bed we were given was like it was filled with straw. unless it was just our room you get a lumpy old mattress that is completely shot that they try cover up with thick mattress protector.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Nick D
beautifulbanff, General Manager at Fox Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thanks for sharing your feedback. I will certainly look into this, and change out the bed for a new one. Our hotel opened almost 6 years ago, with brand new mattresses, and we've been changing them out as needed. This fall we will replace the reamaing mattresses with new ones. A comfortable nights sleep is a big priority for me when I stay at hotels too. I'm really sorry you did not have one with us. Thanks again for letting us know, so we can address it. Please feel free to contact me directly when booking your next stay. I will personally ensure your comfort here at the Fox.