“This hostel blew my mind!”

HI-Banff Alpine Centre
Ranked #7 of 18 Specialty Lodging in Banff
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I stayed here alone after a long summer working in the USA and my mind was blown by the picturesque beauty of the building. Although it is out of town and not really walking distance, you get a free bus pass which takes you straight into town and all around Banff and I didn't have any problems with the location. My time here was just to chill out and relax and it was definitely the place to do just that. I booked through Hostelworld and on my first night got a free upgrade and had a room all to myself with a double bed! Amazing! Each bed had it's own light and plug socket which was a really great addition. I also got a free pancake breakfast every morning which was lovely. The location was stunning and it really is an alpine lodge - I felt like I was in the middle of nowhere and it was so quaint. I was in the newer building and the lounge area was beautiful and a great place to relax and look at the view. I wasn't really there to meet people, I really just wanted to unwind so didn't really make a big effort to be sociable, but had I wanted to, there was a bar to meet other travellers. It was out of season when I was there so fairly quiet so didn't really meet many people but it was just really nice to relax in the quiet tranquil location. Bed was really comfy, although the room was a little hot, but still fine. The bathroom has individual cup holders for your toothbrush which was a great touch and the personal lockers were tall ones which was great. Wifi also had excellent signal. If you don't want to have to rely on the bus, then this might not be the best hostel, however they were regular enough and the beautiful location was worth having to be mindful of the bus timetable. Would definitely recommend this hostel and would return here again on my next stay!

Room Tip: The four bed dorm has one double bed in it so if you're lucky, you may get a double for the pric...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Wanderlust_Sian

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Stayed here on two separate occasions in October/November 2013, and I was very impressed with this hostel. Yes, it is out of town, but catching the bus/walking/getting a taxi is well worth it. The first time I stayed in the main building, the second time in the Mary Belle building next door… I highly recommend asking for a room/bed in this building!!! Private bathroom (just toilet/sink) in the rooms, newer and more spacious rooms, and a very nice kitchen and common area. It seemed quieter in that building too which I wanted. Only downside is that the wifi barely reaches, so you just have to go back into the main building. Overall, this hostel is amazing.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Stayed here with some buddies when we did a ski trip at sunshine. My first time ever staying in a hostel. It was a decent experience. Id rather stay at a nice hotel obviously but for the price and hanging out with people your own age, it's not too bad! check it out if you are a hostel person.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 20, 2014

The front desk was helpful with area attractions. There were many other young people to visit with during the day. The communal kitchen had everything you need to make a meal and it was never too busy to use. The beds and bedding were comfortable and clean. The staff kept the staff clean and well supplied. We would stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Very basic, nice atmosphere, free pancakes when you book via booking.com. Very friendly staff. Place is ideal for young people or backpackers. Not very close to city centre when you don't have a car.
Nice and large self catering kitchen and a nice bar.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I had never stayed in a hostel before and I must say I was plesently surprised!
Everything was clean, the bed was super confortable, the staff was always helpful and didn't mind answering my two hundred questions. The kitchen has everything you need. I stayed in the Mary Belle Barclay building and I liked it much more then the one where the reception is because the building is newer. Nicer rooms, lobby, kitchen.
I would recommend this anyone. I loved my stay!

Room Tip: Rooms in the Mary Belle Barclay building are newer and the lockers in each room are bigger
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 1, 2013

this place is amazing. the staff are super friendly and helpful the food was great and the rooms were clean and tidy.. the one thing i hate about hostels is the communal washrooms but HI banffs was as clean as an expensive hotel room was great. we had a room with an amazing view and the main part of town is only a short bus ride away which you get there with a bus pass they lend you for a $5 deposit was great! highly reccomend =]

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple