“NO HAND SOAP IN BATHROOMS RUBBISH WIFI TINY ROOMS RUDE STAFF AND TERRIBLE KITCHEN FACILITIES” 1 of 5 stars
Review of HI-Banff Alpine Centre

HI-Banff Alpine Centre
Ranked #7 of 18 Specialty Lodging in Banff
Fremantle, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

they claim to have 'the best WiFi' but we have had nothing but trouble with it. the staff are mainly backpackers working for their keep so they are useless sources of information whenever we have asked for help or advice and don't seem to give a toss about customer service. I see the toilets getting cleaned every morning but not once has the cleaner renewed the hand soap which looks like its been empty for a number of months!!!! this morning it took me 45 minutes to heat up a frying pan to fry some eggs the kitchen facilities are TERRIBLE! pots and pans are about 10 inches thick and the ancient hobs take easily 30 to get to a reasonable temperature, and if you are still daring enough to to actually stay here after reading this, bring your own tin opener or you will be stabbing time open with a knife! I have stayed in a lot of hostels so I never have high expectations but this experience has just gone above and beyond ! if your an 18 year old traveller who's just here to party and doesn't care about hygeine , skyping friends and family, or cooking nutritious meals then this might be the place for you but note to HI - not all backpackers want that experience.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank katieradford595
BanffHostelManager, Manager at HI-Banff Alpine Centre, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Hello, thanks for taking the time to write a review of our property.

I'm really sorry you had such a bad experience with us. We've tried to address the issues you've raised; our wifi system was experiencing (and occasionally is still experiencing) some issues with hardware, but I think we've got it sorted now; we have put $2500 in repairs to our stove/oven systems in our guest kitchens to resolve the issues you'd mentioned and the 'work-for-stay' program we run (the staff you had mentioned) has been reviewed and additional training put in place to try to ensure that guests get the same helpfulness from these workers as from the rest of our paid staff. I haven't gotten to the cookware yet, but I'll try to address that this week. Again, I'm sorry for the issues you encountered during your stay and I appreciate you bringing it to my attention - we pride ourselves in providing a great backpacking experience and will do our best to ensure all problems that are brought to our attention are addressed.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Korean first
Waterford, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Staff were friendly and helpful and the view was great! Location wise it is a bit out of town but we were told that before we arrived and the bus does goes by regularly so that wasn't too bad. The food (dinner) was good if a little expensive for a hostel so stop by the supermarket, luckily breakfast was included in our room rate. The rooms could have been cleaner

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bakeycake
Hamilton, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Whilst the HI Banff is good, it's clean and enjoyable with a nice bar and good meals, it is more expensive then other places in town, and it's a lot further to walk to then any other hostel.
The dorms and private rooms are both pretty good and the bathrooms are well kept.
Wi-Fi is good enough only to give off a signal, for the most part you can't connect in the rooms.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Dan B
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights and it was excellent. I stayed in a female dorm room, which had 6 beds and plenty of space for everyone to have luggage spread out.

The bathrooms were good, they had 2 private stalls with enough space to get changed comfortably, and lots of sinks and mirror space.

The kitchen was large, plenty of stovetops and space. Well equipped with spices, cooking oil, etc. The fridge is a huge walk in industrial fridge so yes, lots of space to cook. Television in the dining room.

They also have a bar downstairs with a pool table and cheap drinks. I was doing a lot of hiking and getting up early so I didn't stay up late and party there, but there was the option to. They also have a cafe so if you don't want to cook, someone else will do it for you!

Overall I had a good stay here, the only downside was the location. It's a fair way out of town if you're walking and it's halfway up tunnel mountain so it's uphill coming in from town. There is a bus that goes into town, it was running every 30mins when I stayed but I believe this is seasonal service.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Hayley Z
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Me and my friend needed to book accommodation in Banff last minute and it seemed that HI-Banff Alpine Centre was the last place left. Boy was I glad we booked here. Compared to most of the hostels I have stayed at this place was fantastic! The service was top notch they help you book any activities you want to do in the area. The location is 5 minutes up the road from Banff and very close to a lot of the hiking and bike tracks.
On top of all that the place is kept very clean and comfortable more so then any other hostel I have stayed at in the past. They also hold social events at the bar downstairs each night. Would definitely recommend this place to people looking for cheap clean accommodation.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Tony84ah
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I arrived here with 4 friends and booked a private room with 5 beds. It was great, clean and very accommodating. Each bed had it's own outlet and light. Beds were comfortable and clean. Had a bit of trouble getting into the bottom bunk since the rooms are a little tight, but it was not a big deal.

The bar downstairs was also a very good time as they had cheap drinks and Karaoke the night I was there. Very good atmosphere and quite easy to get chatting with almost anyone there as it is a very laid back environment and people are there to have a good time.

I would definitely visit again if the opportunity presented itself.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night, but wished we had stayed for more. We are 46 & 47 and have never stayed in a hostel in Canada. We were a little nervous about staying here given that they have a bar, but took the chance and really, really enjoyed our stay. When I booked the room online, I received a personal greeting from Rachel welcoming us and offering her assistance with any questions. We stayed in 5 hotels during our stay in Canada (including the Fairmont) and this was the first personal greeting we received. When we arrived, we found a clean and modern facility with everything you could need for your stay. We chose a family room which consisted of a bed with all linen, towels, shampoos and soaps, a mirror and two reading lamps...what more could you need. The large bathroom was just down the hall with two showers and several stalls. It was, by far, the cleanest bathroom I have ever seen and I can say the same for the kitchen. When the music started downstairs, the kids who tried to come up with alcohol were sent right back down and the staff kept them under control but allowed them to have a good time. We sat and read in the great room and appreciated the free wi-fi. Overall, it was our favorite place to stay and we look forward to returning again in the future. While we seemed to be the oldest and least cool people there, we felt comfortable and enjoyed the laid back atmosphere. Excellent customer service!

Room Tip: Chose a family room if you do not want to share. It is a little more but well worth it.