I'm unsure why everyone here is ripping on this hostel. As far as hostels go, this place was absolute MAGIC. My boyfriend and I were here for 7 nights over New Years this year. We shared a private room with ensuite and only paid $50 per night which we booked online. (SUPER CHEAP considering everything in Banff was booked out)
There is nothing I would complain about.... at all. But I will take the time to list everything that made it so great for us:
* The staff were super helpful. This was our first stop when arriving in Canada, and no matter how dumb our question, they answered with as much info as possible. The 24/7 reception desk was always happy to do more than asked of them - even personally organising our day trips for us to Kicking horse etc.. and even the wait staff in the restauarant there were always happy to help (or just kick back ad have a chat)
* The internet worked everywhere via wifi and was free. For those who say it didnt work - occassionally if i was connected too long i would have to disconnect/reconnect but i think that was just due to timing out. No issue!
* The free pancakes in the morning were absolutely DEICIOUS, but the meals servied throughout the rest of the day at Cougar Petes was delicious. There were many nights after returning from snowboarding that we actually CRAVED their food.. nomomnom
* The bar downstairs in the hostel was SO MUCH FUN! Every night there would be something on down there, and always free pool. Drinks were ridiculously cheap, and NYE there went OFF!! The bar guy there was awesome.. always up for a chat and gave us heaps of info on where we should go next and the best/cheapest way to do things
* The hostel might be a 20 min walk out of the main street of town, but you are given a free bus pass when you arrive and the bus goes in/out of town every 20 minutes. THe hostel also puts the timetable up in the reception area AND if that isnt good enough, the bus stop out the front lists EXACTLY how many minutes (digitally) until the bus comes.. and its ALWAYS on time. Just amazing. We had hired a car for the week, and we used it twice... to drive to the hostel.. and to drive back to the airport. And if you are coming back after a big night and the buses arent running? A taxi from in town to the hostel was $7 including a tip.
* Its actually rather quiet cosidering its a hostel.. and we were there over NYE week!! There were some times when it was loud, but HELLO - you are in a hostel!
* Our shower had a permanent bench seat in it. Possibly the highlight of our snowboarding trip.
* There were lots of communal kitchens that had heaps of fridge space, numerous ovens, heaps of microwaves and every utensil you could think of.
In summary, this place operated like an expensive hotel rather than a hostel. FOr those with complaints, I can only imagine they never discussed their issues with the staff there, because i know first hand that they would have done anything and everything to ensure any problems were fixed. 10/10 in my books!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Are you looking for an place to stay in Banff? Seeking the Canadian Rocky Mountain experience? HI Banff Alpine Centre Hostel, has a more than just dorm beds, this Banff hostel also has many family and couples rooms available to book for your holiday in Banff. Looking to make a reservation? * Cougar Pete's on site restaurant * The Storm Cellar Pub and Gamehouse * Free guest use Wi-fi through out * Two spacious guest kitchens, * Two cozy lounges with fireplaces * Lookout deck with spectacular views of the mountains. * Internet kiosks to send a message to your friends at home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com and Hotwire so you can book your HI-Banff Alpine Centre reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hi-Banff Alpine Centre Hotel Banff