“Location beside Farimont Hotel Better”
Review of Banff Trail Riders

$51.79*
Banff Horseback-Riding Adventure
Ranked #11 of 44 Outdoor Activities in Banff
More attraction details
Owner description: Discover a side of Banff you can only see on horseback. Banff Trail Riders (previously Holiday on Horseback take you to places most travellers never experience. We offer hourly rides, backcountry lodge and tent pack trips, sleigh rides and more. Get an authentic old west adventure, even if you have never been on a horse before. We'll match you with a horse, guide and trip that just right for your level of riding experience.
Reviewed June 10, 2013

This is my second time going horseback riding with HOH, the first time was at the location beside the Fairmont hotel. On this trail we crossed the river, saw the waterfall and even got to trot our horses for a while. Overall a MUCH nice view.

Unfortunately the trail from Warner Stables location was less scenic, more dead forest and mud than rivers and waterfalls (no waterfalls at all actually). It was still a relaxing ride but the horse in front of me named Guinness nearly bucked its rider off and even body checked 2 other horses- but they still brought it out? Didn't seem safe to me.

Overall it was an 'alright' experience, not great. I wouldn't go back to this location. But one of the guides, an older gentlemen was amazing with his stories and comments.

3  Thank Sahra K

Reviewed May 30, 2013

I booked this as part of our holiday package. My husband & I are not experienced riders so I was little nervous about a 2 hour ride. Need not have been though, we were the only 2 participants with 2 guides. The sun shone & the horses behaved as we went on a slow stroll round by caves & basin (which were still closed for the season). The guide spotted a coyote across the river & an old beavers dam.

1  Thank 324NorfolkEngland
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Went on an hour ride. It was expensive but it was one of the highlights of our vacation. Kids loved it. The staff was great and the horses were safe and well managed. A good time.

1  Thank luna m
Reviewed May 19, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed three rides last week at the Warner Stables in Banff. Our first ride was the two-hour Sundance Loop. We climbed part way up Sulphur Mountain, and the view below was absolutely spectacular. Dusty, our guide, provided lots of interesting information about the mountains and mountain lore. Some terrific views of Cascade Mountain and Mnt. Edith. And our horses were terrific! Our second ride was the three-hour Bow Valley Loop. It proved to be a nice complement to the first ride, providing us with a very satisfying trail-riding experience. Again, our guide, Mark, was very friendly and helpful. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves on this ride. This first two rides prepared us for the all-day Explorer ride which gives a closer view from the base of the distinctive Mount Rundle. On this ride, our guide, Sarah, a highly competent packer and very friendly young Australian, packed a mule with supplies for lunch and took us on a most memorable trek, including two crossings of the Spray River, a view of Bow Falls, and fantastic panoramas of the Bow River Valley. It's about a six-hour ride and you get a wonderful steak lunch cooked over an open fire. Everything tastes better in the open air! Sarah really knew what she was doing and it was great seeing how she packed the mule. One thing: Because this is a long time in the saddle, it would be wise to do a couple of shorter warm-up rides to loosen up those muscles.

I must say that we each rode three different horses during the week and they were all terrific, each with their own personality. The horses are docile, well-trained, and trail savvy. I didn't see any kicking when one horse got a little close so it seems they get along well with one another. I highly recommend their horses.

As noted above, the guides were all knowledgeable, friendly, and courteous. I should also add that everyone we encountered at that stable was friendly. Even the email correspondences were cordial and cooperative.

I strongly recommend the horses and guides and the scenery is breathtaking!

4  Thank greatlakers
Reviewed March 21, 2013

My husband and I took our 3 little kids (ages 6, 4 & 2) on the public sleigh ride. It cost us over a $100 for the 40 minute tour of the surronding fields and for what you got (a ride around the field) was very over priced. When we first got there and went to check in the building smelled horrible. The garbaged cans were overflowing and it was dirty. There was a giant pile of dirty gross blankets there and we were told to go ahead and take one along to use on the ride but passed as there was no way we were going to use one of those filthy things to cover our children with. Luckily we had them all dressed in snowsuits so they were warm enough. We were told we could go pet the horses which the kids thought was fun until one of the them stamped his foot down and covered us in a spray of stinky mud (the horses we standing in a huge mud puddle that I am sure was filled with horse pee). There was no other mud puddles around except where they were standing so maybe they should have been hitched up to a different post.Our tour went around the marsh then over to a field and then another field. We never lost sight of the barn. I was expecting to at least go into the forest a little ways first and then maybe go around a clearing but nope basically just around the barn. Luckily there was a huge group of Elk there so we got to see them up close which was fun. The guide answered our questions if we asked and was friendly enough but since all we did was tour around the barn it woudl have been nice if he could have told us some interesting facts about banff or told us about the surronding mountain ranges. It was rathere borring once we just saw the same trees and mountains over and over in silence. I would not do it again and do not reccomend it to others. I found it very dirty/run down and overpriced for what we got.

2  Thank KAH_Calgary