“Cabin in the woods”

Castle Mountain Chalets
Ranked #5 of 18 Specialty Lodging in Banff
Reviewed July 17, 2014

Located a little further along the highway from Lake Louise than we had anticipated we were apprehensive about what we would find in the woods ..... needless to say these little chalets were exactly what we had hoped for ! We had a 2 bedroom family cabin and it was as rustic as well as gorgeous ! Comfy beds , excellent appliances , utensils , crockery in the well maintained kitchen made cooking a breeze . Tho it was a tad chilly ( -3!) to sit outside at the fire pit I loved the idea . We used the spa - which was crystal clean & a real treat after a day skiing . I also used the little gym ( I emphasize the word "little" - just a room really) but it had a cross trainer , weights , swiss ball etc & I was able to do a couple of workouts without freezing my lungs with outside air . The bathrooms & showers had some lovely quality soaps, shampoos etc & their green/recycling policy was excellent . Now , not blowing any antipodean trumpets - but the Auzzie guy who checked us in was absolutely outstanding - he really went the extra mile for us ; it was Easter , I had told my children no easter eggs/bunny etc as we were travelling - but upon check in here they gave us complimentary "easter goodie bags" for the kids - how thoughtful & generous is that ??!! They were jolly big bags filled with an assortment of tasty treats and we really appreciated this kind & unexpected gesture . Needless to say our stay was wonderful , my only comment would be about the "pet" thing - the dog next door was quite noisy (barking) which we weren't used to and the walls aren't very thick ...... I would definitely stay here again though . Oh , and the train noise that I had read so much about ....I heard it a couple of times ( you are staying on the main trunk line) but found it quite quaint .....

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank teamharris

Reviewed July 9, 2014

We rented a small cabin in the Castle Mountain Chalets for 5 days in July. It was very cozy, comfortable, clean and well-maintained. Fresh coffee for the coffee maker and teas were replenished daily. Nice compact, functional kitchen with small fridge, stove and cooking/eating utensils. Eco-friendly soaps and toiletries. Quiet, even though we were close to the General Store and main roads. Wood stove with provided wood in the cabin for cooler times. Satellite TV and internet. (Internet was not always available- some big mountains and storms get in the way.) Hot tub looked inviting, although we didn't have time to try it out with our busy hiking and visiting schedule. Close to wonderful trails. Half way between the village of Banff and Lake Louise, just off the Trans-Canada HWY (1) and the Parkway. Plenty of wildlife. General Store sold gasoline, fresh sandwiches, snacks and basic camping items. Fire pit with wood provided. Grill and propane also available. Family friendly. Very nice bistro about 11 K toward Lake Louise on the Parkway. Recommended to us by friends from Calgary. Sure glad they did. We highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Many sizes of cabins to choose from. Good for 2 up to a group of family or friends in a group of 6.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Katie B
Reviewed June 29, 2014

We just got back from a 3 night stay, and we will be back. Yes, trains go through and blow their horns, this happens throughout the valley. Did it wake us? Yes, but not enough to put a dark spot on our stay. The cabins are well equipped, everything you need to cook a meal, the store has everything you may have forgotten and there is plenty of wood to enjoy a fire. Enjoy the charm of these cabins in the mountains. My only complaint is there really is no internet, they say there is but you have to go to the central lodge to pick it up. I survived without.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Jenmoose
Reviewed June 24, 2014

We stayed 2 nights at these quaint little cabins which were cozy and convenient with a little fridge, stove and even a wood stove already to fire up. The bed was very comfortable but we discovered popcorn between the sheets when we climbed into bed that night! ! When we told the manager in the morning she seemed as though we were lying to her and advised us that we may get an email for a discount on a future stay with them! We never did receive an email! Check the bed sheets on arrival so you can arrange to stay in a clean bed!

Room Tip: Check bed sheets upon check in to make sure they are clean!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sandi654321
GeneralManagerCM, General Manager at Castle Mountain Chalets, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Dear Guest,

Let me start by apologizing first for the experience you had with whomever you reported your issue with. When a guest makes a comment about their stay, my teams responsibility is to ensure that the problem is rectified and that you leave happy and that I am notified. That did not happen.

Unfortunately, this is the first I have heard about the issue you had, and would like to discuss it with you further. I understand that you may not want to give me another opportunity to correct this, but if you do, please email me directly at gm@castlemountain.com with your contact information as I am unable to identify who you were. I'd like to call you and speak with you more about this incident and apologize again.

Ghada Wirth

Reviewed May 3, 2014

We had an excellent three night stay at the Castle Mountain Chalets from Wednesday April 30th to Saturday May 3rd. The scenery was awesome, the staff were very friendly, and the chalet itself (One bedroom deluxe) was very clean and comfortable.

Many people on here complain about the train noise, it woke us up once the first night but after that we got used to it and it didn't bother us, it didn't even bother our dog.

We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jonny B
Reviewed April 29, 2014

My husband and i have been coming to Castle Mtn two or three times per year since we discovered it fifteen+ years ago. We have stayed at numerous resorts and accomodation throughout the Rockies, and the guests we bring are always taken with the quality and value of the cabins here at Castle Mountain. The one bedroom log chalets are huge, the kitchen has everything you could possibly need for full meal preparation, and the fieldstone fireplaces adds a lot of rustic charm. Wood is brought daily as part of your room rate and it is dry and burns readily in the fireplace. The cabins are clean and well kept, we are not pet owners, but have had no sign or smell of animals in all the years that we have stayed there. The queen sized beds in the one bedroom cabin are super comfy, the hideabed, what can we say, its a hideabed...The location is a ways out of Louise and Banff, but either area is only a 15-20 minute drive. One can sit on their front porch and barely hear the Trans Canada highway about a mile away and just admire the views of the surronding peaks. In the winter, there are a number of cross country ski trails that start right from the parking lot, and the front desk now rents snowshoes that you can take for a few hours or for a day. The recent addition of a 6-8 person hot tub on the premise is welcome, we no longer have to go to Banff or Radium to soak. Yes, some people complain about the train noise at night, but this is the real reason we come here... My husband is a train spotter and relishes the fact the crews blow their horn at the whistle post at the nearby crossing gates. For train lovers, this place is nirvana!

Room Tip: Ask for a cabin away from the tracks if train horns bother you.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank JandKEdmonton
Reviewed April 28, 2014

not even there yet and just got a phone call from emily telling us that they are closing checkout 3hrs early, so nobody will be there to give us a key...... what a rude phone call to get during my girlfriends birthday dinner....we were very very excited to come here but we are turned off now after this terrible customer service
we are super unimpressed with that phone call and this terrible customer service, we are probly gonna go look for a new hotel when we check in/check out at rhe same time tomorrow morning... both of us work in the customer service industry and we would both lose our jobs if we talked to people the way we were just talked to...
unimpressed and not even there yet....

• Stayed: April 2014
GeneralManagerCM, General Manager at Castle Mountain Chalets, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

Dear Guest,

I'm glad you made it to the property and were able to speak with me directly about your experience. As I had explained to you, our front office does not operate 24/7 and we call our guests who have not checked in prior to closing to ensure that late arrival check ins are still possible.

Our Winter hours are Sunday to Thursday 8am to 6 pm and Friday and Saturday 8am to 9pm. We send pre-arrival letters to our guests to let them know the late arrival process, but I believe the one sent to you was the weekend closing times by accident. This is obviously why you thought we were closing 3 hours earlier.

The phone call made to you was to ensure that no matter what time you arrived, you would be able to get into your cabin. It was not to rush you to the property or inconvenience you in any way. It was to ensure that you knew how to get to your unit even after the front office was closed and provide you with instructions where to find the property map and information you would need. You did receive that as you found the Duty Manager number and called me when you arrived, where I had the opportunity to speak with you and get you checked in.

Properties like Castle Mountain Chalets which do not operate 24/7 like your standard hotels and need to ensure that guests are able to get the unique experience they wanted. Ensuring a let check in after we close is one of those experiences.