“Great surprise find”

Ranked #29 of 33 Hotels in Banff
Calgary, AB
“Great surprise find”
Reviewed November 15, 2010

One Thursday morning in Calgary I felt like heading up to Banff. As a photographer, I knew I wanted to be there to capture the sunset and wished that I had headed out early enough for sunrise. On a whim, I went onto Expedia and checked out rooms. I was shocked when I found a room with a queen size bed at Bumpers for $65. I booked it last minute and headed up to Banff.

My review could end here - Banff for $65 a night is unheard of. I did, however, enjoy more than just the price.

The rooms were cozy and clean. The staff is friendly and you're far enough off the main street as not to have to hear the noise all night.

I was out an about most of the night but returned to my comfortable room and slept well after an amazing feast at Bumper`s Beef House. Oh my.

If I had a complaint, I found it a bit warm even with the windows open. Not enough to ruin my sleep, but just warm enough to notice.

Very early in the morning I headed out to capture the sunrise, but not before filling my thermos with some complimentary coffee at the front desk on the way out.

Only regret was that I didn`t stay a second night - i`ll be back!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank borborhick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Yellowknife, Canada
Reviewed October 24, 2010

Bed bugs, what more can we say, caution. I would not want anyone else to have all these bites.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
10 Thank ykretirement

Travelers are raving about these Banff hotels

South Yorkshire, England
Reviewed September 6, 2010

Bumpers is our first 'motel' style accommodation and we would have no problems recommending it. It is a fair walk from Banff centre, but this didn't put us off. The room was large with tv and some toiletries. No frills kind of place, but as we were only there for one night it didn't worry us. The main reason we chose Bumpers is that a few years ago we were in Banff and had a meal there and it was really good, with great staff and atmosphere.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LLKTL
Winnipeg
Reviewed August 8, 2010

Banff is not the most affordable place, but Bumpers Inn cushions the blow (a bit). I paid $125.00/night for 2 people/2 beds (during the high season) + $10.00 for a pet. The rooms were basic. I really liked the view facing the patio; the trees made me feel like I was in the wilderness. There is no air conditioning however, and a warning should be issued that the rooms get HOT. Sleep was difficult because of this. The hotel is located a distance away from where all the action is, but I liked this as it remained relatively quiet. Would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ladyoblada
Edmonton, Alberta
Reviewed February 14, 2010

I probably will not stay here again because the beds were too uncomfortable. Upon laying down they seem fine, but after a while my back started to hurt a bit, and in the morning it was much worse. It may be that my back is just spoiled by my nice mattress at home.
Though the rooms were clean and free of bedbugs (I checked very carefully), some of the bathroom walls were cracked and overall in much need of renovation. The cinderblock walls help keep sound from passing through, but don't look very nice, even when painted. Rooms were spacious compared to a typical hotel, and had a counter with mirror outside the bathroom. Coffee machine, hairdryer, and TV but no fridge, microwave, or iron. No hot tub or any other amenities on site unless you count an ice machine. There was a wireless network, but it was password protected so either it's not for guests or you have to pay for it.
Can't comment on the service as my friend did the checkin and I only stayed one night. Location is good if you want someplace quiet. The price was too high for what you get, in that there are much better hotels in Banff for the same price. Of course, this was the only one I could find anything available. The fact that they were among the last to sell out means they either don't advertise enough, or maybe they just don't get much return business!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank Madwizard
Calgary Alberta
Reviewed January 3, 2010

We travelled with two kids on Christmas eve to Banff. We booked online a few weeks ahead. The price for the stay was so low, we couldn't pass it up. We were not offered any sort of upgrade upon arrival. Basic dorm room appearance, two double beds. A courtyard off the rooml is nice, and we peered into the vacant room next door, which revealed an exact room with a much nice cedar wall that would have improved upon the experience, lending it a taste of mountin chalet rather than city dorm. Parking was free, the Inn has a restaurant, which was closed Christmas Eve, so we did not try it. The hotel itself is well equipt and fairly standard. I called front desk to see if they knew what restaurants were open, but unfortunately the person I talked to only spouted off restaurants in the area and didn't even know the hotel's restaurant was closed for the evening. He was helpful, but not well informed. He did bring us some magazines with listings of restaurants in the area and we found a few that were open with some sleuthing. Regardless, a quick stay, good on our budget and we slept very well on the beds.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Marabear
Correggio, Italy
Reviewed September 19, 2009

As in Banff everything is very expensive we was looking for a reasonable price.
We was out all the day for nature trips and we was in the Motel only for sleeping so we don't need many services but only cleanliness and quiet.
The MOtel is located immediatly outside from center so is very quiet and the room in its semplicity was always clean.
At the end, the minimum service for the price payed.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple