“Don't do it!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 18 Specialty Lodging in Banff
Vancouver, Canada
“Don't do it!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

So three of us showed up. I am not a hostel fan, but descided to go with the flow.

We arrived and the staff seemed nice.

Got to the room which I was told we booked a 6 bedroom female dorm. Surprise there was three males in it. Again I said just go with the flow.

My friends new my hesitance with staying in a hostel so they gave me the only bottom bunk bed. I threw my stuff on there and flipped the pillow to see some nasty stains...I went down to my car and got my travel fleece blanket and used it as a pillow instead. I also took off the top blanket as it had an awful odor to it that I didn't dare want near me.

The room overall was a mess and dirty. There was a gross body odor mixed with alcohol smell. I am not sure if this is average from the rest of the rooms, but I was scared even to walk around in anything less than socks. I also decided to take majority of my stuff down to my car.

The bunk bed consisted of a bunk bed matress with a foam on top. One of my friends didn't have the foam. We all barely slept that night, as any time someone would shift in the bed they would make a horrible metal squeek noise.

We woke up in the morning for the complimentary breakfast. There was no plates at all. As for food we didn't see anything except for crumbs of what was believe to be cereal. All three of us decided that McDonald's was our best bet and checked out earlier than planned.

My two friends had a better sleep in my car than this place.

Room Tip: My tip is go else where.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Nykkyl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Korean first
West Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

This was my first ever stay in a backpackers' lodge / hostel so I don't have anything to compare it with but as a 30 year old female solo traveller I was impressed. I stayed in an all girl dorm (6 beds) with en suite bathroom. It felt very secure because you got a key to the room and the door locked itself automatically when you left. The sheets on the bed was clean and you were sure of this because you had to strip the bed yourself when you left (part of the conditions). The bathroom in the room was spacious and clean, I would say 3* standard. There were lockers in the room that needed a padlock, unfortunately I only had little ones and they couldn't get around the hasp. The hostel was in a really good central location, just on the edge of the centre of town so a short walk to pretty much everything. The staff were very friendly. They had a quiet policy after 11pm which was great for those who wanted to get some sleep. The bed wasn't very comfortable but what do you expect when you're sleeping in a bunk bed for the first time in many years. The pillow could've been better for me, or having two would've been a nice option. Overall, a positive first hostel experience and I would definitely recommend this place to others.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank charliepolis
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

When I got to Banff, I was so exhausted from the travel that it took to get there that all I wanted to do was have a shower and take a nap. Unfortunately because it wasn't check-in time yet, our room wasn't quite ready, but it was so nice to be welcomed by friendly staff who offered us towels and use of all the facilities at the hostel (all of which were kept very clean) whilst we waited.

When we booked our stay in Banff, I assumed that because the room would fit 8 people, that it was going to be extremely cramped and so when we were able to check-in, I was pleasantly surprised to find that there was enough room for 8 people to fit comfortably and store luggage without it being in anyone's way. Additionally, the room included a fireplace, a television, lockers, and a washroom.

The hostel also has a bar which has activities every night, including bingo, trivia and parties and I love the fact that staff interact with guests like they'd been friends for years; I met a lot of people in Banff with whom I felt like I had known for much longer than a week, including staff.

I've read a few reviews that have suggested that this is a "party hostel" and that if you're looking to get a good night's sleep, that won't happen because of the noise from the bar and people coming back late from a night out. I completely disagree. The bar far enough away from the rooms so as not to be able to hear anything if you're trying to sleep, and there is also a common room upstairs where people can meet and hangout upon returning from going clubbing, so as not to disturb roommates.

I had a fantastic time in Banff, which is largely attributed to my choice of hostel. If I were to return to Banff, I would definitely stay at SameSun again and suggest that you give it a go, too!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank DanielleGeorgey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

This hostel had awesome breakfast, I ate lots of pancakes before snowboarding each day! Was a good place to meet people and a short walk into town and the bus stop to get to the ski hills.

Bathroom in the room meant you had to wait to use it a fair bit. Some people working there were a bit loopy but mostly helpful.

Kitchen was not clean and the rooms didn't get cleaned everyday, rubbish bin not emptied etc.

Some snowboards got stolen out of the shared ski gear storage downstairs in the car park.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Travln13
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Great place to stay. Great atmosphere. Met heaps of people, which is good because I was traveling by myself. Dorm beds are comfy and the dorm room is spacious. The bar is a rad place to hang out at, cheap drinks and food but of high quality. The staff are super friendly and helpful. It's very close to the downtown area, about a 5-10 minute walk and not up/down hill! Lots of activities, personal favourites were jam night and trivia night. Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Jono E
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Had an awesome time staying here. Friendly & helpful staff with any questions I had. Great Breakfast - loved the muffins. Location great too. Meet alot of great people here both in my room and in The Beaver Bar! Would totally stay here again and other Samesuns as well..:D

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Amanda N
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Stayed here around New Years for a couple nights. Stayed in the 6-bed dorm with three other friends. The room itself was quite spacious, as was the washroom. The location of the lodge was also really good- about 15 minute walk into the downtown centre where the restaurants/pubs/etc were located. Stayed at the hostel on the first night for dinner- the service was poor as it took a very long time to receive our food. The second night my friends and I went down to the bar to get some drinks, however the bar staff seemed much more interested in serving other staff and chatting with them so it took quite awhile to get a drink. It was only our group and one other backpacker in the bar, the rest were staff. I didn't find that this backpackers had the same 'welcoming' atmosphere as other places I have stayed around Canada, and around the world. This was my first time staying at a Samesun, and quite possibly my last. My friends staying with me all thought the same about the actual lodge and the staff. If you are looking for a place just to sleep then it's fine- but the social aspect for us really lacked here. Breakfast was served starting at 7am- note: get there at 7am if you want something more than toast! They had pancake mix, fruit, muffins, toast and cereal at 7am, but one morning we got there after 8am and only cereal remained. Overall pretty average place.

Room Tip: I found the 6-bed dorms very spacious and comfortable. We had a room on the second floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends