“Good fun!”
Review of Samesun Banff

Samesun Banff
Ranked #1 of 18 Specialty Lodging in Banff
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Sometimes the more important thing about where you are staying is the people who work there and the people who stay there..........and both are great here! I have stayed in many hostels in Europe but this is the first hostel in Canada for me. If you are looking to meet lots of good Aussie and European friends then this is the place to be in Banff. It seemed clean to me there and all of the staff were friendly. Are the beds comfortable........well are they comfortable at any hostel? This hostel is nice and close to downtown and has a small but cheap and fun pub there.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank TunaTom-backpacker
Tricia L, General Manager at Samesun Banff, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Thanks for your feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed your time in the Beaver!

There are newer reviews for Samesun Banff

Reviewed August 17, 2012

I stayed at Samesun in Banff for 4 nights.
I stayed before in Samesun in Vancouver and Kelowna but they are all pretty different.

I booked a 6 female dorm, which was very nice because the room are big, furnished (TV, fire place etc) and not full so the night were quite peacefull.
At the beginning I was afraid to have a room close from the beaver (the bar) but you don't hear anything so that's good as well.

However, the "average" grade is motivated by all the rest :

- The kitchen is not even small but tiny.. For an hostel like that even my kitchen is more convient ! No space to cook, no enough space to seat, very hot, no plate (only small ones!) and you have to give your key to get pots and pans (that you have to clean yourself because usually they are still greasy from the last uses).

- The "free breakfast" is a joke compare to (for example) Samesun Vancouver : You have just pancake paste to make for yourself (put water into some kind of flour), you have to fight with the other to have enough space for making a pancake and if you arrive after 9am there is no toast or anything left (breakfast is supposed to be till 10..). No fruit. Deceiving

- Basically, it could be more clean and the staff a little bit nicer (some of them were nearly rude)

So, it's ok for a few nights but i heard HI is nicer so I guess next time I'll check HI..
Ps : Banff and Lake Louise are wonderful anyway!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Amyonite
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I stayed in this hostel for a couple of nights on my own and met so many great people there that I really regretted to leave the hostel.

I stayed in a six-bed-dorm and every room has got its own bathroom with shower. The rooms might not be the cleanliest, especially the bathroom was quite dirty, but except for that the rooms are nice.

Downstairs is a small cheap bar that is great for meeting other travelling people. Every day there is a special price for a certain dinner (6 Dollars for a not to small portion) and a special price for a certain drink for the ladies.
This bar is kind of the common room, I mean there is one also on the first floor, but that one is definitely too small for so many people .
The hostel has got Wifi, but that didn't work properly and when it did it was quite slow. The best thing to do is to go to a nearby coffeeshop and use theirs.

The kitchen is really small, especially for so many people and when I stayed there, it was kind of a sauna as well. We had 30°C outside and due to a bad air conditioning system it had pretty much the same temperature inside the kitchen.
The breakfast is included, but make sure you don't get up too late, because the kitchen is just too crowded around half past nine and you might not even get a place to sit down.

As bad as this all sounds the Samesun is definitely a nice place to go back to (as I did a few nights later) and I can really recommend this hostel for young people who look for a place to meet other travellers and enjoy some beers at night.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank DaZeller
Reviewed July 13, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 days I would highley recommend Banff and this hostel to anyone was a great place to stay and the staff were great.Only one problem was the hostel has no Aircon like most of the hotels and hostels in Banff and while we were there it was very hot so bad our first night that we could not sleep so we asked to change rooms for our second night and we found it a bit better on the second floor. All in all good hostel good location and amazing staff.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank felix123_456
Reviewed July 4, 2012

It's actually $39/night. Not sure why posts here state otherwise. I made a mistake and couldn't get out of my reservation. My fault. But the girl I spoke with on the phone was rude and actually hung up on me when I paused on the phone for a bit. Not impressed with the customer service. Not sure if I would try to stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Claodio2012
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

Hi there. Thanks for your feedback. I am very disappointed to hear you had anything but a good experience over the phone. We take great pride in our staff, so I will be bringing this up in our staff meeting. Please don't hesitate to call or re-book for a different date. Toby Baxter, Front desk Manager.

Reviewed June 7, 2012

Where do i start with this gem! My favourite Samesun Hostel by far! Location Location Location! Right on Banff avenue, a short 5 minute walk into down town is where its all happening. Fantastic staff to reccomend what ever your looking for whether it be hikes, rafting, canoeing, the cheapest beers in town or where the party is at.. they know it all and are happy to help. All rooms have private bathrooms and are amoungst the cleanest dorm rooms i've ever seen. Highly reccomended hostel.. Great bar with cheap drinks and an outdoor patio Yeeew! Will definiatly stay again.

Jen

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank JenAdz
Reviewed May 6, 2012

$35 bucks for a bed, if your traveling alone do yourself a favor and wait at the front door for two other backpacker's along and get them to join you at any other hotel in banff. It will be cheaper, cleaner and insanely classier. Also at hotels, the front desk person doesn't barge into your room at 4am and wake everyone up...
Lastly, if you made a booking for more than one bed make sure you cancel it right away because they WILL charge you for it, even if you don't need it, and even if the hostel is totally empty.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank mitch h
toby b, Front Office Manager at Samesun Banff, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2012

Thanks for your feedback. Our current rate is $31.50 for an 8 bed dorm, one of the lowest rates available for a dorm bed in Banff. The rooms are cleaned daily, so we are sorry to hear you had anything but a good experience. Our night staff monitor the noise levels at night and try to encourage all guests to respect our quiet time between 11pm and 7am. We do have a 24 hour cancellation policy which is listed on any site it is possible to make a reservation for us on. It is also on our confirmation emails and highlighted again at check in if reservations change. Toby, Assistant manager