“Great place!”

Ranked #8 of 33 Hotels in Banff
Ohio
“Great place!”
Reviewed September 11, 2010

Stayed here for one night during a trip to the Canadian Rockies. The rooms here are quite nice (got a free upgrade to a kitchenette suite), the staff is very friendly & helpful, the location is fantastic -- a short walk from the business of downtown Banff. Would surely stay here again if in the area. The underground parking garage would be very nice in the winter.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank ToniOhio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Korean first
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed September 8, 2010

This was the cheapest 3+ star hotel I could find in Banff so in all honestly, my expectations were low. I arrived on the busy Labor Day holiday weekend and the town was crowded but I found the hotel easily enough. It is on the main street in Banff, in easy walking distance to shopping and dining, yet just far enough away from all of the traffic and noise. The two reception staffers I spoke with at check-in were both extremely friendly, happy, and helpful. They explained all of the hotel amenities (FREE wi-fi throughout the entire hotel, indoor pool, spa, restaurants, fitness, guest laundry, free underground parking, etc.) and specifically told me not to hesitate if there was anything they could do to make my stay an enjoyable one. I then proceeded to the underground parking - extremely clean, well-lit and heated with free ski and boot lockers & elevator to all floors. I am a clean freak and when I first get to my hotel I give it the once over and to my surprise, my room was spacious, comfortable, and IMMACULATE! The furnishings and linens were very clean and updated. After settling in, I wanted to do some shopping and get something to eat and to my surprise I found out that the hotel offers free bicycles for guests to use to zip around town! The walk would have been an easy 15 minutes but the bikes were a fun alternative. Banff has plenty of bike racks and easy to navigate streets so this was a great perk. At the end of the day I was expecting a noisy night as my room was near the elevator and overlooking the hotel's entrance but despite the fact that the town was busy and the hotel was fully-booked, it was the QUIETEST night I have EVER spent in a hotel! I didn't hear one door slam (they have some sort of quiet-close mechanism), nor did I hear people stomping around in the adjacent rooms or hallway!! I ate breakfast at the hotel, it was fairly overpriced (as is most dining in the Canadian parks), but the meal was good and the service was excellent. The hotel offers guests 10% off the restaurant's dinner menu but I didn't use it. Overall, my stay at Rundlestone was excellent and much, much better than I expected. I shop around for clean, reasonably priced hotels and for as expensive as hotels are in this part of Canada, my stay was worth every penny I paid and I would definitely stay here again... I only give it a 4 out of 5 for "value" because hotels are way overpriced in the park. My one and only complaint is that my heat got stuck on all night, but it wasn't so bad that I felt the need to call to have it fixed. Thank you, Rundlestone Lodge, for making my stay in Banff very comfortable! :)

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Mizzy406
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed September 5, 2010

We stayed four nights in one room and another night later on. The rooms were large and pleasant, if somewhat old in decor. But two comfy reading chairs and a large updated bathroom were very nice for relaxing. Rooms were generally quiet--didn't hear neighbors--but the A/C was noisy in the first room. Parking under the hotel was plentiful and convenient. Desk staff were helpful and friendly. The in-house restaurant has mixed reviews here, but our three meals (two breakfasts) were good, if not cheap. The location is near the end of the Banff Ave. motel strip, but it's a nice neighborhood about a mile from the town center. You can take a leisurely walk to the downtown area, take a bus down Banff Ave., or drive quickly. Among area restaurants we tried, the Keg was very good and a 2-minute walk from the lodge. We'd stay here again!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nolan_SA
Calgary
Reviewed August 30, 2010

I was here in August for two days of hiking and other Banff stuff, (such as an architechtural tour at the Banff Springs). I've been here before and the price is very good for rooms in a national park. My room faced the main street and was surprisingly quiet, though I'm an early riser to maybe it's different later in the day. This room has two beds--with one in a separate room (it's all one suite) which was a nice touch so both people (or families with kids) are not sleeping right next to each other. The lodge is a nice mid-range place though tastefully done for a hotel in this price range; I like the carpets throughout which deaden hallway noise and I've neve heard neighbours so that's a positive as well. I also like the lobby and its fireplace and reading chairs. It's in-town and walkable (on Banff Avenue near the entrance to town--so it's a ten-minute walk as opposed to closer hotels which might be a five-minute walk, but the difference is negligible.) Oh, and they have a pool and hot tub which I didn't use this time but have in the past; it's a nice feature. I'd recommend staying here and then spending some time hanging out at the Banff Springs enjoying their views from the various grand hallways.

Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank CalgaryPaul
houston
Reviewed August 26, 2010

We had a great stay at Rundlestone Lodge. Banff is so beautiful and the hotel is conveniently located. Didn't love the restaurant, but it was great to have laundry facilities.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank hildamh
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed August 20, 2010

We found the Rundlestone to be in a good location and it did have a view out the back of mountains from our room, and it was kept quite clean. We wanted a kitchen so had the loft room with the back mountain view. However, the loft had no window and got quite warm, even when it was very cool outside. We asked for a fan and put it by the open downstairs window and that helped. However, another problem was a large coach bus that warmed up its diesel engine every morning at 6:45 AM, not only noisily, but spewing out diesel exhaust that came in our window. . Another draw back was that in the middle of the night the steep loft stairs were difficult to traverse, and climbing them got your heart pumping enough to make getting back to sleep difficult.

So, we wouldn't recommend a loft room at the R. Lodge.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank laule22
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed August 19, 2010

There were many things I really liked about this hotel, not the least of which was the bedroom quality, which was the largest and most comfortable among the 7 hotels we used in this western Canada road trip. One king and one queen bed in separate wings--quite decadent! And a nice balcony and decent view to boot. The separate sink outside the bathroom was another luxury I like. Other things I liked include the handsome pool and hot tub area which almost had an outdoor feel to it (although outdoor pools aren't possible in Canada for obvious reasons), as well as the inexpensive laundry room, clean facilities and friendly staff. It's the first hotel after leaving the TransCanada highway, so it's a 15-minute walk from downtown which is fine in the summer, but I imagine difficult in the winter. My main dislike was that the hot water temperature kept changing wildly while taking a shower, which made showering very unpleasant. They need to get their plumbing re-piped or something. Despite that setback, I would certainly be open to staying there again, as the price was reasonable (probably due to being a bit of a walk from town).

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple